do you think that bono truly believes in his causes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people want to see U2 move to wherever they have the highest taxes and to shut up about the African kids because they don't want to be reminded of the humans they've turned their backs on.:|

At least that's what I'm getting from some posters.

you're both wrong.

the tax issue is brought up because some of us find it hard to believe that someone can truly believe that he can persuade the entire world to donate quite an amount of their tax money to africa, when he doesn't like to pay taxes himself, and when he doesnt have a problem losing credibility like this, despite of the importance of the cause. that's what the movement of u2corp shows.

it's very simple.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
you're both wrong.

the tax issue is brought up because some of us find it hard to believe that someone can truly believe that he can persuade the entire world to donate quite an amount of their tax money to africa, when he doesn't like to pay taxes himself, and when he doesnt have a problem losing credibility like this, despite of the importance of the cause. that's what the movement of u2corp shows.

it's very simple.

:bow: :applaud:

U2Man said:
you're both wrong.

it's very simple.

You just show a lack of knowledge of the facts.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You just show a lack of knowledge of the facts.

i take it that you don't have a real counter-argument here. i cannot blame you because there is none.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

i take it that you don't have a real counter-argument here. i cannot blame you because there is none.

:lol:

First of all, how many non-interference members know about the tax story? I'd venture to say very very little. Secondly he does pay taxes, he still pays multiple times the amount of those complaining about him not paying these certain taxes.

So once again your point is moot and your speculations are nothing but that; speculations.

Buy hey, nice try.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

First of all, how many non-interference members know about the tax story? I'd venture to say very very little.

how is this relevant to what i said above? this question was aimed at people posting on this board.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Secondly he does pay taxes, he still pays multiple times the amount of those complaining about him not paying these certain taxes.

So once again your point is moot and your speculations are nothing but that; speculations.

Buy hey, nice try.

he's paying a proportion of his income, just like anyone else.

of course he pays taxes, but he tried to avoid some didnt he?

yes or no?

U2Man said:

how is this relevant to what i said above? this question was aimed at people posting on this board.

It has everything to do with it, you keep harping how this will tarnish his image to the average joe. Don't backtrack.

U2Man said:

he's paying a proportion of his income, just like anyone else.

of course he pays taxes, but he tried to avoid some didnt he?

yes or no?

He made a smart business move. This is what I mentioned earlier, anyone asking for aid to the poor can't make money in some people's eyes.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It has everything to do with it, you keep harping how this will tarnish his image to the average joe. Don't backtrack.

He made a smart business move. This is what I mentioned earlier, anyone asking for aid to the poor can't make money in some people's eyes.

actually, this has been brought up by the major media, so i wouldnt be too sure about the average joe and his knowledge of this. especially not any average joe who has enough interest in bono to actually listen to him.

'a smart business move'? now its my turn to :lol:

call it whatever you want. tax-avoidance is tax-avoidance. that was the sheer objective of the move.

of course they can make money. all the money they want. but asking for tax money to be spend on your cause all over the world, and then try to avoid paying taxes in your home country yourself after you said you wouldnt do that - thats loss of credibility.

U2Man said:
you're both wrong.

it's very simple.

bono believing in what he preaches
u2 moving their taxes to the netherlands

as far as i see it these are two different arguments here.

and like you said some find it hard to believe that someone can truly believe that he can persuade the entire world to donate money because he doesn't like paying taxes

then obviously there will be some who don't agree.

why can't some people let others have their own opinon rather than shoving what they think is right down people's throats and telling them they are wrong

Lara Mullen said:

bono believing in what he preaches
u2 moving their taxes to the netherlands

as far as i see it these are two different arguments here.

and like you said some find it hard to believe that someone can truly believe that he can persuade the entire world to donate money because he doesn't like paying taxes

then obviously there will be some who don't agree.

why can't some people let others have their own opinon rather than shoving what they think is right down people's throats and telling them they are wrong

if you're alluding to my comment, i only pointed out that their interpretations of, at least my posts, were wrong.

U2Man said:

'a smart business move'? now its my turn to :lol:

call it whatever you want. tax-avoidance is tax-avoidance. that was the sheer objective of the move.

U2 record, write, play, live, etc all over the world. Their incomes are generated and they reside are all over the world. Moving to one paticular place in order to pay less taxes is something I'd call a smart move.

Maybe you should stick to your threads about Bono's glasses, weight, clothes, hair, lovelife or bathroom habits.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

U2 record, write, play, live, etc all over the world. Their incomes are generated and they reside are all over the world. Moving to one paticular place in order to pay less taxes is something I'd call a smart move.

Maybe you should stick to your threads about Bono's glasses, weight, clothes, hair, lovelife or bathroom habits.

that was your weakest post yet in this thread. and im not surprised at all that you only chose to quote a small part.

you're just repeating yourself here. smart move = tax avoidance. well ok, doesnt make any difference whatever we call it. again, didnt bono say that he wouldnt move any part of u2corp out of his home country?

maybe you should try to stick to the issue here instead of bringing up irrelevant things in despair?

Last edited:
I don't want to point out the obvious, but if everyone with at least a decent income would donate as large a percentage of their income to charity as Bono probably does then there wouldn't be a need to allocate more tax money to developing countries

if you reckon Bono would be a hypocrite for trying to get a larger part of tax money allocated for helping those in the world who really got the short end of the stick then I would argue that he would be at least twice as big a fool than he could be considered a hypocrite now if he would waste his energy on trying to get each and everyone one of us to donate more money instead of trying to solve a issue that concerns all of us by going straight to the governments instead of addressing each and everyone of us individually

U2Man said:

that was your weakest post yet in this thread. and im not surprised at all that you only chose to quote a small part.

you're just repeating yourself here. smart move = tax avoidance. well ok, doesnt make any difference whatever we call it. again, didnt bono say that he wouldnt move any part of u2corp out of his home country?

maybe you should try to stick to the issue here instead of bringing up irrelevant things in despair?

I didn't quote the rest because you keep saying the same thing over and over. And you've been shown it's a moot point by many.

If anyone outside of this board uses this move as an excuse not to go along with the cause then maybe I'd continue this debate but honestly it's a waste.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

First of all, how many non-interference members know about the tax story? I'd venture to say very very little.

Those people on those sites I posted who were bashing him for it were all non fans or casual fans who knew the story well. That's what's hurting here, his credibility with the average person- the ones he wants to get behind his cause. This is why he went on the Heartland tour, to reach middle America. (he did okay back then, but that was before the tax thing and buying more expensive property) Joe Blow and Jane Doe who work their asses off and pay taxes get pissed when a multimillionaire from another country comes around preaching when he doesn't live by his own words. It hurts his cause, and that is my point.

I would bet that if some annoying celebrity like Paris Hilton or Jessica Simpson did what Bono is doing, all you who defend them would be trashing them as stupid, hypocritical bitches. It's because it's BONO and this is a U2 site he's getting taken up for! Forget it's Bono, and look at the story objectively.

Secondly he does pay taxes, he still pays multiple times the amount of those complaining about him not paying these certain taxes.

I still don't think he ever paid any income taxes, since all of his money came from artistic endeavours until recently not taxed. The only taxes he's payed are personal property on all his expensive stuff, and sales tax on all the expensive stuff he buys.

Last edited:
I can't believe this thread is still going, with the same arguments going round and round in circles. :huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I didn't quote the rest because you keep saying the same thing over and over. And you've been shown it's a moot point by many.

If anyone outside of this board uses this move as an excuse not to go along with the cause then maybe I'd continue this debate but honestly it's a waste.

nah, you just cannot disprove that saying one thing and then doing something else is losing credibility.

What did Bono say regarding the business? Are we talking about the old "we'll stay based in Ireland" quote, or is there another one that I'm not aware of?

Because as far as I'm concerned, they're still based in Ireland. Moving one part of the business out does not equal moving the whole business.

Now, if they start moving more and more pieces out of Ireland, then you've got an argument.

U2Kitten said:

Those people on those sites I posted who were bashing him for it were all non fans or casual fans who knew the story well. That's what's hurting here, his credibility with the average person- the ones he wants to get behind his cause. This is why he went on the Heartland tour, to reach middle America. (he did okay back then, but that was before the tax thing and buying more expensive property) Joe Blow and Jane Doe who work their asses off and pay taxes get pissed when a multimillionaire from another country comes around preaching when he doesn't live by his own words. It hurts his cause, and that is my point.
I didn't see your links, and this thread is far too long for me to go through.

But one of the problems you have and apparently these average Joe's as well is that you ignore the proportionate differences. You keep harping on about these "expensive" things, but proportionately he probably gives more and therefore DOES live by his own words. Your problem is that you lump all rich people as being evil.
U2Kitten said:

I would bet that if some annoying celebrity like Paris Hilton or Jessica Simpson did what Bono is doing, all you who defend them would be trashing them as stupid, hypocritical bitches. It's because it's BONO and this is a U2 site he's getting taken up for! Forget it's Bono, and look at the story objectively.
This is sersiously a weak argument. These girls "career" and celebrity are cemented and celebritated in their excess.

I think this thread has gone on long enough.

Per FAQs
If the thread is exhausted, or repeating the same arguments over and over and seeming to have reached its limit, it may be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom