Do you think that Andy Warhol would've designed something for u2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
The subject says it all. I just came back from the Warhol exhibit in Vancouver and I got wondering if Warhol were alive today, do you think he would've designed something for U2 like an album cover or tour poster. Do you think that it would involve something like a lemon?

Definitely,

U2 are clearly big fans of Warhol..

The front cover of the Lemon EP is done in warhol style (as is Please, and even Pop to some extent)

The whole popmart tour was based around warhols fifteen minutes of fame theme..

In fact one of the most poignant moments of the tour was during hold me thrill me, when they showed all the warhol pictures of famous celebs on the screen - POPMARTYRS, great stuff..

Warhol might have done something during the POP era - but not right now if U2 are going for a "rock album". Granted, Warhol designed the cover of the Velvet Underground record (the banana cover), but it would have to be something mimialist like that for a U2 design - not the Lichtenstein-inspired designs of POP.

I once read that Bono's favorite museum in the whole world is the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh. Since I'm from Pittsburgh, I was highly amused to find that out. Now, I feel the need to go to the Warhol.

i'm a big fan of Warhol,but i really can't say that i like the licking tongue of The rolling stones.maybe because i don't like them:evil:

maybe... why not?

Velvet Underground and Rolling Stones enjoyed Warhol's work

just saw a traveling warhol exhibition in munster, indiana ( hour south of chicago) a few months ago. it was pretty cool. i did think a little about Pop's underlying meanings that so many people still to this day dont understand certain songs, like 'the playboy mansion', much the same way that warhol wasnt/isnt understood. "oooh hes the campbell's soup label guy" just one way to describe the way that many go for the quick fix and the easy sell...

anyways, i could imagine warhol at some time, probably in the 'pop' era, just running off millions upon millions of some of sort of band propaganda. if not that, getting involved in the making of a video. that was something i didnt know about warhol- his film projects like 'sleep'

go here to read about 'sleep' cus its so different and crazy- http://www.warholstars.org/filmch/sleep.html

U2 takes so much pride in their videos that something as different as what warhol couldve produced probably wouldve fit perfectly into their video catalog.

isabelle_guns said:
The subject says it all. I just came back from the Warhol exhibit in Vancouver and I got wondering if Warhol were alive today, do you think he would've designed something for U2 like an album cover or tour poster. Do you think that it would involve something like a lemon?

I'm taking the kids to see this, probably next week. :up:

I think the whole Popmart concept is very Warhol. :yes:

I'm sure if Warhol were still alive today the band and Andy would have collaborated on something. Andy was the king of Pop culture, something that U2 have obviously been attracked to.

On a factual note, U2 visited the Warhol museum in Pittsburgh on May 22, 1997 before doing their show at Three Rivers Stadium.

As a matter of fact, I'll be going to the Warhol tomorrow with my sister. It's an awesome museum and you never know who will be visiting along with you.
:wink:

I wish Andy were still around today,,,love his work. Have you ever seen his shoe drawings? :love:

isabelle_guns said:
You know it! Warhol would've definitely wanted a piece of U2. Lemon? LOL I don't know about that but you know Andy. ;)

Back
Top Bottom