do you think EDGE wishes he could shred on the guitar.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
im sure he thinks about it and when hes alone he must try to shred or play some fast licks on his guitar, its easy to mess up when playing fast so thats one reason why he does not play any blues etc. come on edge you can learn it go for it.
well, edge is not that kind of guitar player so im not sure if he will ever shreed he seems to keep his guitar playing out of the spot light. more power to him.

but i want edge to come in the spot light and say im the edge listen to me and just rip in some cool licks.

he was in the 100 greatest guitar players but then so were some douchebags that dont belong there.:huh:

He can play blues licks... very adeptly. Solo variants of bullet the blue sky easily exemplify the fact that the man can do it. It has less to do with talent and opportunity; the reason he says he plays "restrained" is because shredding is boring. The archaetype guitar player is outdated.

Cool licks is one thing, but craftsmanship is another. Just because Edge doesn't strum or solo at 1/64 or 1/128th pace, doesn't suggest he can't.

Stylistically it would be contrary to the band's direction... against focus on the composite effort.

It would be different though...

Last edited:
oh dam i did not know you were a member of this forum.:|

love is blindness(zootv) edge rips it out in that and while he is doing that he looks at larry and smils because he usually does not play like this and i dont think he is comfortable playing in that style.. and also bullet(zootv) solo is great. dam zootv is great.

shaun vox said:
oh dam i did not know you were a member of this forum.:|

love is blindness(zootv) edge rips it out in that and while he is doing that he looks at larry and smils because he usually does not play like this and i dont think he is comfortable playing in that style.. and also bullet(zootv) solo is great. dam zootv is great.

The LIB solo is somewhat of a shred, but it's no different fundamentally than the solo for new year's day or sunday bloody sunday... still using e and b. Just a tad faster. Nothing bluesy about it in the least.

It is great, but I don't think it would be as profound if there was a large volume of edge guitar work like that.

Edge has done other blues stuff such as the solo at the end of the live version of Silver and Gold. Blues just isn't his thing. And I personally love that live Love is Blindness solo. One of my favourite of all time. It ahs one thing that all great solos should have, power and presence. A ton of those million note solos are cold and lifeless. or just cheese, thrown in cause it's expected. When we get an Edge solo its always something special that adds to the song rather than glorifies Edge's ego. Johnny Greenwood (I know he was influence by Edge but humour me) is of the same type. Minimalist, but hwen you get a solo or an amazing building riff like the one in There, There on Hail to the Theif it's woth it. they're both guitar players who put the song first, not themselves

if edge ever shreds I'll cry...not for joy

and no, I don't think he ever seriously comptemplates it. I've played in a band before and the thought never crossed my mind. why? cos I hate it.
it's sounds cheesy and bad...and I'm glad there's none of it in U2

no the edge can't shred. his style is different. if he really wanted to he could just stay home and practice.

Steve Vai is the best guitarist IMO. i play guitar and the things the man can do are amazing. he knows when to shred and when not to shred. i recommend songs like "Tender Surrender" "Whispering a Prayer" and "Brandos Costumes" by Steve Vai so you can hear for yourself how great the man is. If you haven't heard any of that you can't have an accurate opinion on Steve Vai.

Cheers

no, because they're not a metal group. if they wanted to be, they would've asked slash to join the band or something.

i like the edge's guitar playing just the way it is, and i'd hope he feels the same way. :up:

this is Steve Vai !

vairys1.jpg
:ohmy:

The Edge has never shredded in his career. Maybe his Bullet Solo (live version in the irony era) had elements of speed but I don't even consider that fast playing. Love is Blindness (Sydney live) never had a shredding moment.

The Edge has said he can't "shred" in an interview with guitar magazine back in 86-87. I think he mentioned that he didn't have the chops compared to some player from some big band (alah Deep Purple or some band from Britain/ Ireland). Although time has passed and he has probably gotten better (you have to), the Edge's guitar philosophy probably doesn't allow him to improve enough to be able to shred NOW. Shredding takes "a lot" of practice and to be a really fast player (that is clean while not being a poor guitar wanker) means a lot of talent as well.

I like watching shredding but I am rarely impressed by it when "listening" to that stuff. Maybe b/c of my un-trained ears, I can't pick up the intricacies and emotions of their playing.

:)

With that said, of the shredders... I love Eric Johnson (listen to SRV, Cliffs of Dover, Manhattan, etc.).

Joe Satriani's Oriental Melody and Always With Me, Always With You are great songs.

I wish I could listen to more but there is so much music out there to listen to...

Shredding isn't limited to just metal... you can hear it with Jazz, the Blues, classical, etc... It's the metalheads that helped put it out there into mainstream rock music. Hell, even bluegrass music has shredding...

I would like to see the Edge to expand his repertoire/ guitar style and if includes shredding, then all the power to him (doubt it). Minimalism isn't good in itself just as playing fast isn't always strength by itself.

Last edited:
since he hasn't done it the last 25 years
sort of tells me that it isn't his wish to do so

The Edge can shred, kind of..."Bullet" during the 90s and in Elevation was pretty tight...and have any of you even listened to the Happy New Year's Lovetown tour show?! The edge plays some mean licks on "All Along the Watchtower" , "One Tree Hill," one of the best u2 songs ever, and "Desire"

I think the new album will show the Edge shredding a little more

awful heavy metal-esque guitar solo-ing basically

main culprits these days are people like John Petrucci from Dream Theater. bar none the greatest guitarist ever today.

unfortunately his music sucks so that makes it a bit of a moot point.

yeah i wish he could shred like, say, slash... i mean come on... shreding like slash would have been much better for edge and u2. just look at the respective careers of both... edge deffinetly shoulda went down the shred route... he and u2 would have been so much better off for it

soak in the sarcasim... soak... ahhhh that's nice

Back
Top Bottom