do you think any member of u2 has ever been using any hard drugs - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Regarding the whole John Lennon, 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' thing.... I remember an interview in which Paul McCartney said they had tried drugs, but never had they written anything that sounded good while under the influence. When they did write music under the influence, it sounded amazing at the time, but when they played it back when they were sober they realized it was utter crap. And this is coming from Paul McCartney. He didn't deny ever doing drugs, but he did say that drugs weren't good for creativity. And given that I also remember John Lennon saying that 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' was in fact written about his son, I wouldn't at all be suprised if his imagination was in fact that surreal (and that he had the ability to venture "into the heart of a child" as Bono would later write). It was a song inspired by a child, and he had the ability to be child-like in this sense.

I can relate somewhat. When I write surreal pieces, I certainly don't need to use acid. Many think, for example, that The Slow Loris must have been high, but I can assure you he wasn't.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
Regarding the whole John Lennon, 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' thing.... I remember an interview in which Paul McCartney said they had tried drugs, but never had they written anything that sounded good while under the influence. When they did write music under the influence, it sounded amazing at the time, but when they played it back when they were sober they realized it was utter crap. And this is coming from Paul McCartney. He didn't deny ever doing drugs, but he did say that drugs weren't good for creativity. And given that I also remember John Lennon saying that 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' was in fact written about his son, I wouldn't at all be suprised if his imagination was in fact that surreal (and that he had the ability to venture "into the heart of a child" as Bono would later write). It was a song inspired by a child, and he had the ability to be child-like in this sense.
I would bet that even if "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was written while completely sober it was heavily influenced by their experiences tripping.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:55 AM
U2 say they wrote Crumbs while really drunk - and it's shit.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I would bet that even if "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was written while completely sober it was heavily influenced by their experiences tripping.
There's no way of knowing for sure, but John Lennon had an incredible imagination regardless.

I do know that Paul McCartney would have no reason to lie about whether any of their album songs were written under the influence, since he admitted to doing drugs anyway. Therefore, I believe him when he says that none of the good songs were written under the influence of drugs. I can totally see his point about drugs and creativity. If anything, drugs can get in the way of great creativity. In my experience, drugs create an illusion of enlightenment for the one under the influence - or certainly a mental state that can't be understood by the sober mind...which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you want when creating art, since art is something you want people to have a connection with.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #105
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
U2 say they wrote Crumbs while really drunk - and it's shit.
I forgot about that.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #106
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by t8thgr8

who is to say that he didn take it before the show? it lasts like 6 hrs. Can your friends open their pupils up on demand? wow, now that's talent. im sure they'd miss some of the small things unthought about when not rolling. Bono, however, didnt miss a beat, infact he got worse as it when on and comfort set in. Or maybe not....
For one thing Bono has always said that they do not go on stage under the influence, not even of alcohol. They tried that once when the first toured in the UK I think it was and they were complete and utter shite, in Bono and Edge's words.

For another I wasn't saying that they definately didn't, what I was saying is that you cannot tell by looking at their behaviour. While that may be an indication, it is not proof. And as for dialated eyes, science has demonstrated that a person's eyes dialate for passion, and Bono is VERY passionate especially coming off of a concert high which as I said is well documented. Don't confuse possible indicators with proof.

Dana
Old 01-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #107
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 05:55 PM
I am pretty sure they would have. All of them. I reckon they got into it during Zoo TV right through to the Pop sessions or thereabouts.

All those great times with models. All those great summers in France with Michael Hutchence. Im sure of it. There would have been a little weed, ecstasy and some coke.

Good on 'em too!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:49 AM   #108
War Child

ecstacy wouldnt impair the performance like alcohol would. It could probably help it.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:59 AM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
ecstacy wouldnt impair the performance like alcohol would. It could probably help it.
Crap. Ecstasy is evil. True artists and great performers don't need shit like that.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #110
Refugee

Question: do you think any member of u2 has ever been using any hard drugs?
Answer: Yes!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 AM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'd be surprised if there are many things that Adam hasn't tried. I daresay all of them used at least a little ecstasy and coke during the ZOO TV years. Although it is possible that Larry has never done any.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #112
Refugee

Local Time: 05:55 PM
I don't think so.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #113
The Fly

well...judging by U2 by U2 Larry has never tried any drugs...not so sure about Edge and Bono...i reckon Adam has tried some of them (before 1993)...but..i don't care, i mean, as long as they don't have any addiction....
Old 01-05-2007, 07:13 AM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #115
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You must have very limited exposure to X.

X could definately impair their performance ...
Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #116
Refugee

Adam? Certainly. I'm sure he's had his share of experimenting.

Edge? He's talked about doing mushrooms so...there you go

Bono? No doubt. He's a curious fellow. I'm sure he's the type of guy who likes to taste and to touch...and to feel as much...as a man can...before he repents

Larry - Maybe a bit here and there, but I can't see him doing the hard stuff...although the fact that he's a vegetarian who smokes cracks me up...