do you like it when...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
...bono does stuff like this?

hillary20u2.jpg

just curious...

U2Man said:

hillary20u2.jpg

just curious...

Are you talking about only when he waves the Flag of the United States or when he does it with other flags too? Because if your showing a Bias towards him waving the US flag then :huh:

Not a big fan of patriotism in the sense that any country is better than another, but given the fact that he does this of many flags, I can really care less...

cinnaminson said:
Not bothered either way. What does bother me are the long political speeches, they really bring you down. We are there to hear music not politics man.

Well then you're a fan of the wrong band.:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Not a big fan of patriotism in the sense that any country is better than another, but given the fact that he does this of many flags, I can really care less...
me too

Edited cause I am tired and was not making sense.

Last edited:
I don't care, he waves it because he is in that country. Just because they got an idiot for president dosnt mean that all the people in Usa are like him.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Agreed... It would be bad if he did it with just one flag (any country) but since he does it with many flags, I don't think there's a problem... It's just Bono being Bono:wink:

White flags and Irish flags are cool. Anything else strikes me as a sop to the country in question.

He does it with all flags. But even if he does like the US a lot, who cares? America still is a great idea, and has a lot of potential in the world. He believes in the idea that is america, not bush.

U2Man said:

hillary20u2.jpg

just curious...

Yep! Especially when its the Australian flag!

I really liked it ( and the 80,000 strong crowd in Telstra stadium liked it too) when he stated that he "feels like he is never to far from home when he is Oz!"

Yeah......it's brown-nosing, but hell, he is a travelling salesman!

It's all pretty meaningless to me, unless it's the Irish flag.

Some flags are just ugly anyway, like the Aussie one for example.

That said, if he pulled out a navy blue flag with a big white V or a Eureka Stockade flag, I'd get pretty excited...

All that matters, is that he's a bloomin' great showman...

Well personally I liked it when Bono brandished Australian flag in their shows down under, even though I realise that he probably does it with national flags in every country they visit, :wink: I've got a big soft spot for showmanship gestures like that even though I realise that on some level it's all kinda dorky, :)

Re: Re: do you like it when...

Justin24 said:

Are you talking about only when he waves the Flag of the United States or when he does it with other flags too? Because if your showing a Bias towards him waving the US flag then :huh:

no, i'm talking about all flags. but no doubt that waving a huge u.s. flag is a bit more controversial on a worldwide scale than waving a norwegian.

Re: Re: Re: do you like it when...

U2Man said:

no, i'm talking about all flags. but no doubt that waving a huge u.s. flag is a bit more controversial on a worldwide scale than waving a norwegian.

yeah no kidding. especially since there are actually friggin laws about how to hang a u.s. flag. ha, and people say MY culture worships icons. i just don't get the whole flag-pride thing. but that's just me.

and also...i'm not sure he does this very often in smaller countries, which might be something to consider too.

coolian2 said:
Yes.

If you're doing something to play to the country in question, you make it cool - or as close to cool as you can get, eg the jacket in Auckland

Yeah, that was alright, though I still think it's a bit lame unless Bono actually supports the sports team in question. And it's even better when it's to make a humorous point, like with the New Zealand and Irish rugby shirts at the second Auckland gig's encore.

That said, I would like to make the disclaimer that respectful nods to cultures are really cool. The Maori symbolism employed during One Tree Hill made it just that bit more moving. But that sort of thing is light years removed from waving a flag.

Back
Top Bottom