Do you feel pissed off or proud about U2 tracks being used for Olympics, etc.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brimcart

The Fly
I'm sure I'm not the first one to wonder this; heck I may not be the first one to post such a question: How do you feel about U2's music being used as the background music for damn near everything NBC has aired in the Olympics?

I think that it all really started on FOX with the Superbowl, using Desire, WTSHNN, and others for background music, commercials, and what not. At that point, I was glad the boys were getting some play. Then the Olympics started. Day after day, new songs are introduced as background music on countless news stories on athletes and other news pieces. This morning on the Today show I heard a remix of Mysterious Ways that came off of a Propaganda remix cd(I think it was Papaya). So far I have heard Beautiful Day, Desire, Elevation, Lemon, EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways, One, WTSHNN, Bullet, and I know that I'm leaving a few out.

In talking with other U2 fans, many people seem upset that music that they hold dear can be overused and abused. But it doesn't stop at U2: I saw a figure skating performance done to a Pink Floyd song. It just didn't seem right!

Maybe I'm crazy to be upset. After all, they are being heard and hopefully apreciated by a new audience, which is good. Or am I right on target to feel this way? I'd like to get some other opinions on this!

Pissed off- No.
Proud- No.
Indifferent- Yes.

I don't really see it as a big deal. U2 really doesn't have much control as to whether or not their music gets played. As long as the networks pay to use them, it's all legal. I guess the band could make a big stink and try to stop it...but why stop free promotion?

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 02-21-2002).]

I think it's pretty cool. It would be different if it was being used to sell cars (ala the who, whom I love but it really sucks that they use great tunes to sell nissans...) but for the olympics, I like it.

i can honestly say im neither happy nor sad as seven said im indifferent so much so that i cant use punctuation

I'm not happy about hearing U2 music for the Olympics and worse yet, the NFL. I guess I'm one of those who think it's a little close to "selling out" whatever that means, and I don't want to start a whole "thing" about it...just my 2 cents...I like U2 a little less omnipresent...

Originally posted by blood red edge:
i think it's cool

it's cause you're from Utah. You're probably going to some of the Olympic events and not tellin us
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom