Do you ever wish U2 wasn't so popular? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Do you ever wish U2 wasn't so popular?

Okie everyone knows that U2 is the greatest band in the world, they are surely the most popular. Do any of you feel like your taste in music might be crappy? I mean your fav. band is the most popular band in the world! I just really envy those kids who are into these really cool garage bands that only they know about.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Right now... no, I don't care! Cos I can't get enough of watching all their tours on dvd over and over again!

...and see the whole stadium... the whole world singing along to all the anthems

Old 01-23-2006, 12:52 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Yea i they wouldn't be popular if they wern't good
Old 01-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Think about it this way. This is how I see it.

Sure, they're the most popular, but the vast majority of that is folks who are casual fans.

Being a die-hard puts you in rather exclusive company. Knowing the catalogue front to back and having favorite songs other than Beautiful Day or Streets? The majority of U2 fans couldn't do that.

I think so at least.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

Re: Do you ever wish U2 wasn't so popular?

Quote:
Originally posted by DPrinceNY
Okie everyone knows that U2 is the greatest band in the world, they are surely the most popular. Do any of you feel like your taste in music might be crappy? I mean your fav. band is the most popular band in the world!
Well, the Beatles are the most popular band in history but I don't see anyone here feeling like their taste is crappy for liking them. When someone like me says the Beatles are over-rated, we're shouted down and even flamed.

My point is popularity has nothing to do with quality and just because a band is popular doesn't mean you have crappy taste if you like them.

Though, I must say I personally do wish U2 were less popular. Theatre gigs! Though my main reason for wishing that they were less popular is simply to avoid all the stress associated with getting concert tickets. Take away a significant slice of demand and I'm sure things would be much easier for all of us here!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-23-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Pretty much every time I try to get tickets, yeah.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
Refugee

it'd be nicer if they were a dirty little secret shared between a select group of fans

ie a band like:

joe90
josh ritter
x
joe henry
Old 01-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

Sure, they're the most popular, but the vast majority of that is folks who are casual fans.

Being a die-hard puts you in rather exclusive company. Knowing the catalogue front to back and having favorite songs other than Beautiful Day or Streets? The majority of U2 fans couldn't do that.

I think so at least.
my favourite song is streets

bad fan, BAD!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I always say why do I have to love such a huge band especially when I'm trying for tickets
Old 01-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Okie everyone knows that U2 is the greatest band in the world, they are surely the most popular. Do any of you feel like your taste in music might be crappy? I mean your fav. band is the most popular band in the world! I just really envy those kids who are into these really cool garage bands that only they know about.
Most of my CD collection is by fairly well known artists. The closest to alternative I get is maybe some Sonic Youth or Pixies (neither of which can be described as garage bands, although they might have started out as garage bands) But I would still argue I have good taste (naturally I'm biased).
Old 01-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #11
New Yorker

with talent/greatness comes popularity..

unfortunately for U2, they had to be too talented.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

I think so at least.
Yes a lot my favourite songs would be lesser known songs and B-Sides and that the casual fans wouldn't even know existed.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Right now... no, I don't care! Cos I can't get enough of watching all their tours on dvd over and over again!

...and see the whole stadium... the whole world singing along to all the anthems

I thought you didn't like current U2
Old 01-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 02:43 PM
I understand what you mean. You rarely meet someone who doesn't like U2 even if all they say is "yeah I like that one that came out a few years ago...beautiful something or other and that One song". The people who don't is because they find Bono 'annoying' when he's doing his speeches for Blair.

Being British it often feels like U2 are American as they always seem to be over there on tour and doing alot more dates with cool walkways with sparkly lights.

I'm happy being a fan of the greatest band in the world. I have other interests which are less well known.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:43 AM
just imagine if there were no casual fans so they could play smaller venues with varying sets and no need to play Pride at every show
Old 01-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

U2 is special in a way that they are very popular but at the same time they are true to who they really are. They don't put on an act like other bands late in their career. Though Popmart and ZooTV was a spectacle, they were making fun of themselves at the same time. U2 is the most popular band in the world, but they still make interesting and solid songs. Making them a revelant popular band.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
War Child

Only when I'm trying to get tickets, though. And when people are like "U2 sucks" just because they're popular and are convinced they're "overrated".
Old 01-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Sometimes. I mean, it would be great if U2 were a sort of unknown band that I just happened to come across, because then maybe I could actually convince some of my friends to give them a chance.

Common reactions to U2 among my friends:

1. Bono is such a conceited asshole, I hate U2.
2. U2's music is so lame.
3. Oh, I like a couple of their songs, like Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and One.

The people in the first group are judging U2 entirely on Bono's politics and/or his ironic attitude about himself.
The people in the second group are judging U2 entirely on some of the "lamer" singles they've released.
The people in the third group need to be educated with songs like:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Acrobat
Zooropa
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
Gone

It's just occured to me, that what I should've done all along was force these songs onto people, without letting them know they're U2 ("Hey guys, listen to this band, they're called The Hype!"), especially for people with such uninformed preconceived notions that U2 suck.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

some U2 fans make me wish they weren't so popular

many things were better when they weren't so popular and early fans almost had them as a "secret" band
Old 01-23-2006, 03:32 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 10:43 AM

Quote:
Hmm I never really ever thought about it to be honest!

But now that I do think about it, I am starting to like U2 less and less by the minute.

Thanks a lot!