Do you correct people who mispronounce Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, and it's a crime to mispronounce. :wink:
People I know sometimes do it on purpose to rile me up... like someone said in a prior post, it's sorta tiring and repetitive after a while.

But anyway, I speak from experience... lots of people give me new pronounciations of my name every time I meet them... it's kinda sad after a while (and makes me wanna really give my future kid an easy name to say).

How about Bah-no?

Bono's American Wife said:
It depends.

Some people mispronounce it on purpose because they dislike Bono and want to get a rise out of any U2 fans that might be present. I hate giving them their wish so I let it go and watch their faces kind of drop when they don't get a reaction.

If its someone who truly doesn't know, I'll nicely tell them the proper way to say it.

Same here. If someone is just trying to tease me or get a rise out of me or pretend they're clueless "that BOHNO guy or whatever his name is" then I won't correct them. basically, if I think they know better, then no point. But if they actually don't know then I will correct them.

It's "Bah-no." you can put a slight accent on it, but the first o is NOT long, that's like Sonny Bono.

I corrected my sister the other day. And she didn't get pissed or anything. She now pronounces his name the right way.

Once upon a time... long long ago I used to say it like 'Boe-no' :reject:

not anymore :|

my sister-in-law calls him boner as well... it was funny the first hundred times.

lol my friend did it, he said "why does Bone-O have horns on his head" and then he looked at me and before i could say anything he corrected himself. "bon-o, i mean" then i proceeded to feed him a treat and give him a pat on his head. :wink:

Last edited:
Re:

trevster2k said:
Do you correct people who mispronounce Bono?

Yes. With a boot to the face.

AtomicBono said:
It's "Bah-no." you can put a slight accent on it.

Huh? I don't get it. :huh: Bah-no?

Last edited:
Baw-No? that sounds like some kind of Boston or other northern accent! I think Bah-No is the correct phonetical spelling. :yes:

(I used to think it was Boh-no too :reject: )

I've found when people are trying to get a rise out of U2 fans they'll just call him Boner. :lmao:

Bah-no makes no sense!

How are you pronouncing bah? I'm hearing 'Bar' when I say that...or the 'bah' of a sheep! Like people are trying to say Bono in an Irish accent...?!

Bonn-O.

Last edited:
let's use sweet treats to resolve this issue! the first syllable is pronounced as the first syllable in the delectable cake called a "bon-bon." the second syllable is pronounced as the end of the chocolate and creme cookie, "Oreo."

Amen to that! I think I'll buy some oreos come morning! :mad: It's 02:24 here and you've got me thinking...!!

edit - Zoot. You make us feel like a minority! Surely we're right! :huh:

I do. But I'm neurotic.

u2granny said:
No, I don't. I spend my time correcting how people pronounce my last name.
I know how you feel. My last names not even that complicated, people just can't read.

This reminds me, today, for the first time in my entire life, when I was telling someone my name (to put on an ordering list) I was asked, "Is that spelt with an 'H'?"
I nearly cried.
Normally its like a race to see if I can say "Meghan, M-E-G-H-A-N!" before they've already written "M-e-g-a-n," and have to go back and cross everything out. I normally lose. :madspit:

(I'll stop telling pointless stories now. :reject: )

VertigoGal said:
let's use sweet treats to resolve this issue! the first syllable is pronounced as the first syllable in the delectable cake called a "bon-bon." the second syllable is pronounced as the end of the chocolate and creme cookie, "Oreo."

one time my friend was typing to me and he said "i was sitting on the couch eating bonobonos" but he meant bonbons.

And another time he said "it's so funny when she beatles people up" but he meant beats.

and one time I said "they should split the cody" cuz i'm in love with a guy named cody but I meant to say cost.

When I was in 3rd grade I thought it was Boe-no because I was a dumb 3rd grader that listened to Discotheque 239748937484635764357 times before I realized the CD had more songs.

it was THAT good.

Back
Top Bottom