Do you care if other people like U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I have always followed U2 since I can remember. But I have always enjoyed being just ahead of the curve in terms of my choices for entertainment. You know, I gotta be the first one to see a movie or like a song before it gets too popular then I move on while everyone else is catching up. It's weird but sometimes that is what I do. No Doubt back in 95 was a good example of this, by the time Don't Speak came out, I was already sick of it because I bought the CD way before the band became really popular.

I am glad the band has a loyal following but I also like the fact that not everyone is a fan. This allows the band the freedom to experiment and not try to please everyone everywhere. I have noticed that many folks here are the only U2 fans in their circle of friends and family. I like having that distinction amongst the people I know. For example, whenever U2 is brought up on tv, radio or in a book, they think of me because I'm the crazy U2 fan.

Just yesterday, I gave Rattle & Hum, Elevation:Boston, and U2: Go Home to a coworker to take home and watch to get an understanding of why I am willing to spend over a thousand bucks just to go see a band but not just any band. Many people don't understand my passion for live music nor my passion for U2's music. Apparently, some people I have asked don't have anything like this in their lives which would cause them to do something similar. Maybe I'm crazy but I love going down to these shows, meeting new people and hanging out for a day.

It's great that the band is winning Grammys, being given accolades and still getting consistent airplay. It is also great that U2 has never matched its media saturation levels of the Joshua Tree era. I equate such success to a passing fad these days. Artists who are the "IT" thing, you know what I mean, and then they disappear.

Sometimes I want others to like the band because I do defend them if attacked. I share their music with others. But I almost want to make sure that only certain people are part of the scene because generally I haven't met a U2 fan I didn't like. Sounds elitist, don't it.:wink:

Peace out.

I don't care if others like U2, I really don't, just as long as they don't disrespect me to my face for it. If I'm in conversation with someone who doesn't like U2 due to misconceptions, I'll usually try my best to politely interject fact based on U2 lore, but I don't push my fandom on people. :shrug:

HelloAngel said:
I don't care if others like U2, I really don't, just as long as they don't disrespect me to my face for it. If I'm in conversation with someone who doesn't like U2 due to misconceptions, I'll usually try my best to politely interject fact based on U2 lore, but I don't push my fandom on people. :shrug:

I agree, I don't push it on others either but don't be a hater around me either.:wink:

They're missing out and it's their own fault imo so I feel sorry for them:wink:

I only care when people criticise the band for ridiculous reasons proving they know nothing about what they talk about, like saying "they've had the same sound for 30 years". I try (and occasionally fail) to restrict criticism to things i have a decent knowledge of, i'm not going to slag off a band's history unless i've actually heard a decent proportion of it.

Most of my friends also like U2, the ones that don't, it isn't a case of them hating them, they usually respect what they have done but don't like the music, I have no problem with that.

What bugs me slightly in Ireland, especially with younger people, is a kind of a tendency to slag off U2, because Bono's on tv again or whatever, without actually understanding the hard work it took to get them where they are.

well im a senior in high school and everybodys always like what the fuck, why do you like those old bastards? then im like ok who do you like, and they tell me they went to see a ryan cabrera concert and it was awesome. and they were serious. and they weren't girls.

I don't push it on people, if they don't want to hear it, they don't want to hear it. But when they are all like "that band is crap, blah blah" It gets me incredibly angry. :mad:

Well sometimes...
My friends like R&B and house and trance and that kind of stuff. They just like what's popular, what's in top40. They never liked u2, they didn't know u2. But now (we're 20/21) when they hear a song from u2 they like it, I don't understand because I thought they like R&B and hiphop. But listen to the entire album, no!
Sometimes it really pisses me off. But in general I like it when people also like u2 and the bands I love...

No, i dont care at all...

I like them :wink: and thats enough for me

I don't hear it a ton since I don't wear my status as a fan on my sleeve but I have a few pat responses to any antagonist I come across:

Arrogant Bono: You'd be cocky too if you were Sinatra's last drinking buddy.

Political Bono: He does his homework and doesn't just cheerlead with empty rhetoric to certain political groups. So you like Don Henley, eh?

Music all sounds the same: Admit it, you've only heard 3 albums at the most, all from the 80's.

Band sold out since the 80's: Too bad you've given up, they're tighter, rock more and your less likely than ever to hear a pitch to join Amnesty International.

yimou said:
No, i dont care at all...

I like them :wink: and thats enough for me

I feel that way for every band I like. If I like 'em, that's good. Don't care what others think of them.

Not really. It's nice if I can convert someone, but I don't go out of my way to do so.

I don't care if people like them, but I do get pissed off when people don't respect them for what they have accomplished on and off the stage.

StlElevation said:
well im a senior in high school and everybodys always like what the fuck, why do you like those old bastards? then im like ok who do you like, and they tell me they went to see a ryan cabrera concert and it was awesome. and they were serious. and they weren't girls.

Umm, who's ryan cabrera?:hmm:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Not really...and there's some people that DO like them and I wish they didn't :reject:

I know exactly what you mean!

if someone talks shit about them i usually smile then say "oh, and who do you enjoy listening to?" then after the tell me i usually get to let out a smirk*. i really don't care if they like them or not. i do feel they deserve respect for what they did and do as a band.

*unless they let out a band where everything is repetitive drivel like blink 182

kakvox said:

Umm, who's ryan cabrera?:hmm:

him

0704_ryan_cabrera_a.jpg

I am a closet U2 fan. Basically, to the general public (i.e., teenagers, cool people, ect.), U2 is uncool, their music is weird and they suck. But damn it, I love them to death. To me, they know what rock and roll is about. The lyrics don't have to make sense and they don't have to be great singers, ala American Idol. I'll admit, Bono can't sing for shit. In fact, I thought his singing on Sometimes at the Grammys was awful.

But the one thing that I will always defend Bono, it's that he has PASSION when he sings. His emotions and passionate singing just absolutely mesmerizes me.

Hey, I love Britney, Usher, Eminem, Maroon 5, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and all the other music they play on TRL. But U2 are my idols. It's too bad I'm ashamed to admit it, because people might think I'm a loser.

Back
Top Bottom