Do you believe it is right that ATYCLB should be included in "Best Of 1990/2000"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet7

War Child
Do you believe it is right that ATYCLB should be included in "Best Of 1990/2000"

Though technically ATYCLB was released in 2000, in my opinion it should have been left out since it is dramatically different in style from all their 90s material which, despite its differences, is strongly cohesive. I believe that this album should have been a 90s compilation exclusively.

There was so much good stuff to choose from that I wish ATYCLB would have been left off until the next Best Of. However...I'm just happy for this release coming up! :cute:

Well, technically, the 2 singles from ATYCLB that are included on the "Best Of" album were released in the year 2000.

Now, think about it this way, if U2 started messing up what years they released the songs, people would start wondering if they're losing their memory due to old age.;) J/K

I say, why not put those songs on it? The name of the album is "U2: Best Of 1990-2000," and that's what we're gonna get.

I can see it being on there.....especially walk on instead of numb....fuck that tune it sucks.
too bad it aint.:madspit: :scratch:

mikal said:

I say, why not put those songs on it? The name of the album is "U2: Best Of 1990-2000," and that's what we're gonna get.

They could have made it 1990-1999. :D

Like I have said though...I'm not going to complain!!!! I can't wait to go to the store and buy a new U2 item for my collection!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

JOFO said:
I can see it being on there.....especially walk on instead of numb....fuck that tune it sucks.
too bad it aint.:madspit: :scratch:

u better feck off :p :p

my version :

Last Night On Earth instead of Stuck
Miss sarajevo wtf ??????????? i would put The Ground Beneath her feet , it's more U2 then passengers U2
:rant: :rant: :rolleyes: ;)

Bonochick said:

Like I have said though...I'm not going to complain!!!! I can't wait to go to the store and buy a new U2 item for my collection!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

That's the spirit!

Leading by example you are!:)

pinkfloyd said:

u better feck off :p :p

my version :

Last Night On Earth instead of Stuck
Miss sarajevo wtf ??????????? i would put The Ground Beneath her feet , it's more U2 then passengers U2
:rant: :rant: :rolleyes: ;)

I shant feck off mate.
you think numb is a more important tune in the u2 cannon???
more so than walk on???

yeah....ok.

miss sar. should be on there just from the pavorotti standpoint alone.

Yes, I can see why it's on there. I'm assuming that one of the reasons is to have continuity with the new material. Instead of 1990-1997 & 2002, it's now 1990-2002. Also BD will probably inspire sales to some fans. I personally would rather see some more 90's work on there instead, but I'm not complaining.

JOFO said:

I shant feck off mate.
you think numb is a more important tune in the u2 cannon???
more so than walk on???

yeah....ok.

miss sar. should be on there just from the pavorotti standpoint alone.

no , BUT , Numb is better then Walk On ( music ,mix , original *text* ) BUT Walk On is better then Stuck ..well anyway .. that's the way you do it .. u go to the shop .. endless story

ATYCLB's token inclusion

They just added one song to make it seem like there were many albums represented in the compilation. Strictly speaking, ATYCLB would not be included, Hold Me Thrill Me would be a B-side and Miss Sarajevo would be a non-U2 project. So they would be left with Achtung, Zooropa and POP for the choices. But since it was obvious U2 felt POP was quite lacking, the Best Of 1990-2000 would only be Zooropa and Achtung put together! So U2 did the next best thing to add variety, but claiming Miss Sarajevo as a U2 work, then by remixing the forgettable original mixes in POP, then by adding Hold Me Thrill Me, and finally adding a token representation from ATYCLB.

U2 can always claim Beautiful Day was no included because of ATYCLB but that it was there because it won the Grammy's for that year as a single, and that ATYCLB really came the next year which will be featured in the next Best Of.

Cheers,

J

HMTMKMKM was not a b-side, man. It was a non-album A-side, complete with video and everything. Get this... it even had a chart position! Gee golly! And they've mentioned including Passengers for a while.

Putting 'suck' I mean 'stuck' on the "best of" instead of PLEASE or LNOE or WGRYWH is just weird.

I can't believe they broke up their work from ATYCLB that way too. We have to wait 10 more years to get 'elevation' and 'walk on' and maybe 'kite' on a best of.

SO on the next best of will they remix the leftover ATYCLB tunes that they left off? Maybe they will, so they wont sound so adult contemporary :angry:

mikal said:

Mmmm ...not so sure about the 2000 issue. In fact the next compilation supposedly will be 2000/2010, so it could very well include material off ATYCLB!! Talk about messing up with dates!! LOL It could also be argued that this compilation starts in 1990 (even if no material was released that year), so the ten year span ends at the end of 1999, but anyway.

Hawkmoon1021 said:

Also BD will probably inspire sales to some fans.

You make a good point regarding the inclusion of Beautiful Day, since U2 hadn't had any major hits (I mean with non-U2 audiences) since the Zoo TV era. It's almost ten years now and perhaps the general public and esp young people (record labels' main target) don't remember or aren't even familiar with those songs. Conversely almost anybody nowadays knows BD. However, even if there may be some logic from the commercial point of view, in my opinion the inclusion of material from ATYCLB, besides the reason I gave in my opening post seems somewhat strained, as to leave room for the 90s material (the true object of this compilation) and new songs, only two tracks could be included. Honestly I don't think that a compilation which includes ATYCLB can afford to leave out songs like Elevation or Kite.

Hawkmoon1021 said:

I personally would rather see some more 90's work on there instead

Bonochick said:

There was so much good stuff to choose from that I wish ATYCLB would have been left off until the next Best Of.

Fully agree with you both :yes: :)

Bonochick said:

They could have made it 1990-1999. :D

Great idea! :cool:

jick said:

They just added one song to make it seem like there were many albums represented in the compilation. Strictly speaking, ATYCLB would not be included, Hold Me Thrill Me would be a B-side and Miss Sarajevo would be a non-U2 project. So they would be left with Achtung, Zooropa and POP for the choices. But since it was obvious U2 felt POP was quite lacking, the Best Of 1990-2000 would only be Zooropa and Achtung put together! So U2 did the next best thing to add variety, but claiming Miss Sarajevo as a U2 work, then by remixing the forgettable original mixes in POP, then by adding Hold Me Thrill Me, and finally adding a token representation from ATYCLB.

Funny theory :laugh: :laugh: Esp the part of finding Pop lacking LMAO If it had been me to choose I'd put on more than half that album on Best Of!! LOL And be hated by the masses!! :evil: :laugh:
As for HmeTmeKmeKme, it has already been said that it was a non-album A-side, but you have a point regarding Miss Sarajevo since it belongs to Original Sountracks - a non-official U2 release. Even if it is an album I love and Miss S is a fave on my list I don't believe it had to be included other than as a bonus track. As for ATYCLB I've already stated my point.

z edge said:
Putting 'suck' I mean 'stuck' on the "best of" instead of PLEASE or LNOE or WGRYWH is just weird.

I can't believe they broke up their work from ATYCLB that way too. We have to wait 10 more years to get 'elevation' and 'walk on' and maybe 'kite' on a best of.

SO on the next best of will they remix the leftover ATYCLB tunes that they left off? Maybe they will, so they wont sound so adult contemporary :angry:

It is kind of strange. ATYCLB did come out in 2000. I guess the Best of 2000-2010 will include WO & Elevation. I just wish they didn't break it up the album over 2 Best of's, especially at the sacrifice of worthy 90's songs like Please & Lemon. I suppose BD & Stuck were put on to maximize sales. It's not why I'm buying it though. I'm buying it strictly for the new tunes and the remixes. I'm really looking forward to hearing those. A remixed Please & Lemon would have been cool. :| can't complain though. This stuff is a bonus IMHO.

UnforgettableLemon said:
HMTMKMKM was not a b-side, man. It was a non-album A-side, complete with video and everything. Get this... it even had a chart position! Gee golly! And they've mentioned including Passengers for a while.
:laugh: :lmao:

anyway, i didn't want atyclb to be on there but hell, as bonochick said, it's fine with me really. it wasn't a huge deal to me. although i do think it's weird for them to split up the singles onto two different packages (as i guess they're doing).

the only real beef i have with the tracklisting is the inclusion of so many remixes on the first disc instead of the "real" versions. i know it was a rumour, but i thought it would've been better to use them as b-sides for the electrical storm and the hands that built america.

Back
Top Bottom