Do you agree with this quote from Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Oh absolutely, he's not one of the poor! But he's playing on their condition and offering them a chance to feel like they can DO something. Basically what I'm saying is that if people had more stable, economically upward lives in that area they would be less apt to jump on the Osama bandwagon. Discontent breeds unrest and radicalism.

Saudi Arabia is a strange place--they sell us their oil and the government pockets the money, and they let US troops operate on their land to keep tabs on Iraq. But at the same time they enforce some kind of rigorous Islamic law (not as rigorous as ObL likes, apparently, but oppressive enough for most people) and they teach this brand of anti-Christian, anti-Jewish, anti-West Islam in their schools and religious seminaries.

Basically, we're Saudi Arabia's bitch.

Not only should the US *not* withdraw from its involvement in Saudi Arabia, we should be pressuring them to reform their government so as to stamp out poverty *and* Islamic fundamentalism. I don't know how likely or feasible that is though.

Originally posted by speedracer:
Saudi Arabia is a strange place--they sell us their oil and the government pockets the money, and they let US troops operate on their land to keep tabs on Iraq. But at the same time they enforce some kind of rigorous Islamic law (not as rigorous as ObL likes, apparently, but oppressive enough for most people) and they teach this brand of anti-Christian, anti-Jewish, anti-West Islam in their schools and religious seminaries.

Basically, we're Saudi Arabia's bitch.

Not only should the US *not* withdraw from its involvement in Saudi Arabia, we should be pressuring them to reform their government so as to stamp out poverty *and* Islamic fundamentalism. I don't know how likely or feasible that is though.

speedracer, agreed...it is a complicated and a negative situation we are in with Saudi Arabia. I think that the U.S. should revise it's policies completely in this area. And oh look...we've turned this into a FYM discussion, just like you said it could turn into earlier in the thread.
wink.gif

-sula

Originally posted by Seconds:
Most of you are not understanding what Bono is saying. He's not saying that Americans should travel more often to other countries (that would be incoherent nonsense). He is using that message metaphorically.

He means to say that Americans don't realize what is going on in the rest of the world. A part of the world is dying of hunger and poverty, but most americans never see this.

He continues by saying that this extreme poverty is a cause of the Sept 11 attacks.
He ends by saying that fighting the root of the problem, poverty, is the only way to win this type of war.

Come on people. Read between the lines. Now I understand why so many Americans have no Idea what Bullet The Blue Sky was all about.
The man is talking about poverty and most you are talking about a trip to Tuscany.

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about.

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

we're losing the thread here

what bono said is right. and what the americans are forgetting is that this is what a lot of non-americans are thinking... so for us to change that thought... or for you to WANT us to change that thought... maybe you should address that situation.

by the way, i'm not picking on all americans there, i know some agree with what has been said

Couldn't agree more with Seconds ad sulawesigirl4, they made some good points on their posts, and so did others. I don't have much to add, it's indeed a complicated equation with no simple solution, but I think we cannot deny that any solution must consider the brutal differences between riches and poors, developted countries and 3rd world countries.
So my answer to the olive's question is yes, I do agree with Bono. He's a wise man.

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 12-12-2001).]

I wanted to point out that travel often broadens one's perspective. Although you do not necessarily have to do it to gain a global view, it was my experiences that lead me to discover the real world around me outside of reading about it, or seeing it on TV.

My main point is that I agree with Bono's optimistic view that good arises from evil. The opportunity is there for us to become better. I agree with another..."Bono's a wise man." He's traveled a great deal and realizes much about the world through his own personal experiences and then chooses to share them with fans of his music and views. For that I'm very thankful!!!

Hope you're all having a "beautiful day!"

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
we're losing the thread here

what bono said is right. and what the americans are forgetting is that this is what a lot of non-americans are thinking... so for us to change that thought... or for you to WANT us to change that thought... maybe you should address that situation.

by the way, i'm not picking on all americans there, i know some agree with what has been said

so it all falls upon the United States to end "abject poverty," is that what is being said here? (I just want to be clear on this)

Originally posted by U2Bama:
And I just heard that Krispy Kreme Doughnuts are going international. That is great news for the rest of the world.

This is an outrage! I don't have a KKD in my hometown, but some foreigner soon will. Where's my passport....

[This message has been edited by StarsnStripes (edited 12-12-2001).]

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
Of course not. But it does fall upon them as the world's only remaining superpower to do a bit more about it!

This also makes us the prime target in a world that is made unstable since the end of the cold war, when the threat of renegade fanatics with homemade weapons has become ever more real. Like speedracer said, I'm not so sure it's only a matter of poverty. I think it's also a feeling by people in the Third World that they are not being allowed a share in the power-sharing and decision making of the world. The same reason inner city gangs get started--the kids don't feel they belong anywhere else.

I agree with Bono that America has been aloof to other nations, and we like to stay safe and secure here at home. So much so we go about the world ensuring nothing will disrupt that peace. I believe 9-11 can open our eyes to the real priorities and needs in the world and certainly give us incentive to interact more closely with others. But really, the feeling here from the attacks is not that we "need others" but "united we stand." Like Israel, I think we've become determined to seek our cause even more singurlarly. That essay by the Canadian reporter is still going around. Nobody has helped America, we have to come to everyone else's aid.

I really don't take offense to what Bono said, because I do wish that it would be true. A "new era" would work if our nation's record wasn't so lousy and other nations weren't so suspicious of us. And that karma thing...at the Harvard address he said he doesn't believe in Karma, he believes in Grace. With all the fanatics running around right now, it's faith in God that keeps me at peace, not trying to avoid misfortune by doing all kinds of nice things for terrorists.

Having said that, you gotta love Bono for giving a very balanced answer to the problems that errupted with 9-11; he seems to me to be encouraging the US even while mentioning our flaws.

Uhm I agree that countries shouldn't be waiting for America to come save them but then also isn't it America's priority to come to a country's aid after it has stuck it's nose where it didn't belong and left it in ruins?

I mean really, Afghanistans did a lot of our dirty work for us. Gave up their lives and property and when it was all said and done it was their country that was in ruins after they defeated the Soviets for us. They get no thank you and no help we leave as we if we never came, and you expect good karma to come from that?

No countries shouldn't rely on the U.S. but when the U.S. has so much say over other countries and don't listen to others when they plea for better foreign policies, trading rights, etc. then it becomes our business to help them because in a way we were the reason they got in that position to begin with.

The U.S. really sucks the blood out of other countries for its own profit. The country gladly obliges thinking they are in good hands then when they ask for a little bit of help they get the door slammed on them and are left to their own demises. So like I said if you're not gonna help then stay out of it.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Yes - i agree with him.

I think what Bono is saying is that in spite of all the deaths in WTC attacks, there is now a stronger connection between Americans, people have realised what's really important. In the end, your life and your family/friends/loved ones is all that really counts.

Also, this position of terorrism striking is new to America - it has never happened before so it's necessary to work internationally against terorrism. US can't and shouldn't work alone on this one. We're all in this together.

On the other hand, poverty is a big issue and increasing the difference between the "have's" and "have nothings" is not getting us anywhere. And i really think the only way to go is decreasing the gap between the Third world and the rich, developed countries.
America is the only super power in the world, but once again, it can't do everything on its own. All the developed countries (with G-7 group as the leaders) should act together against poverty.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-13-2001).]

I'm so proud of you U2 fans. You all are so smart and so with it! I don't have much to add so I'm going to borrow follower's comments . . . "it's indeed a complicated equation with no simple solution, but I think we cannot deny that any solution must consider the brutal differences between riches and poors, developted countries and 3rd world countries."

Thanks Olive for getting this thread going and the answer to your question, Yes I agree that Bono is a wise man.

Anyone up for supporting Bono as President of the World? Well maybe not President. Most politicians actually aren't that effective. Maybe this should be a new topic.

**cass does her best Denis Leary impersonation** "...Why? because we got the bomb!!That's right...nuclear f***ing weapons...**Did someone mention missile agreement?**cass ducks and covers**
Maybe we need a definition of poverty.
I agree with Bono, we have to learn from this.

(that would be incoherent nonsense).

The man is talking about poverty and most you are talking about a trip to Tuscany.

very tastly delivered, if only most of us could put this oxygen to that kind of use...

thanks for enlightening us mate!!!

sorry kiddies, fresh out of irony...

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Oh absolutely, he's not one of the poor! But he's playing on their condition and offering them a chance to feel like they can DO something. Basically what I'm saying is that if people had more stable, economically upward lives in that area they would be less apt to jump on the Osama bandwagon. Discontent breeds unrest and radicalism.

Isn't that exactly what Hitler did. The people had very little money to buy food because of the state of the economy and he promised a sollution they believed him because they were despirate and there you go World War 2
frown.gif

Most of you are not understanding what Bono is saying. He's not saying that Americans should travel more often to other countries (that would be incoherent nonsense). He is using that message metaphorically.

He means to say that Americans don't realize what is going on in the rest of the world. A part of the world is dying of hunger and poverty, but most americans never see this.

He continues by saying that this extreme poverty is a cause of the Sept 11 attacks.
He ends by saying that fighting the root of the problem, poverty, is the only way to win this type of war.

Come on people. Read between the lines. Now I understand why so many Americans have no Idea what Bullet The Blue Sky was all about.

How true. That is why I love him so much. He won't just tell you what you have to do directly because people would argue instantly but if you have to think about what he's saying which to some people the message leaps out straight away but they are the ones who agree but if you have to think about what he means when you find out the message because you have already been thinking you start thinking about whatever his message was and give it a fair go. The world needs people like Bono to try and say what many people feel.

11th of September was a terrible tragedy and hopefully nothing like that will ever happen again but for about 1 week the news in Britain seemed like it is in America. I am not slagging off all Americans and I know that it is a good thing it was on the news none stop over that time. What I am saying is for that week the only news was about America. Now I've been to America a few times now and everytime I noticed that the contents of the news was all about what was going on in America. Now I can't remember what it was now but something pretty major had gone on while we were in America and I watched the news alot as I often do and the only way I found out anything had gone on was because I phoned family back in Britain and they told me and it wasn't even anything that had happened in Britain. In the world as it is now we can no longer like 100 years ago just ignore what is going on in the world around us. If we are narrow minded enough to ignore anything that goes on outside our countries we are not only condeming Africa to a death sentence but also increasing the possibility for another tragedy. The world is a small place full of people with many different cultures but we are all people and all deserve to be known about when in times of trouble
smile.gif

PEACE

Originally posted by Bacchus:
very tastly delivered, if only most of us could put this oxygen to that kind of use...

thanks for enlightening us mate!!!
sorry kiddies, fresh out of irony...

Bacchus, maybe I'm just sleepy or very slow, but what exactly are you trying to say? Are you being sarcastic? Are you making fun of what I said? Do you agree with what I said? Would you mind explaining?

It's interesting that we're having a very interesting disucssion on the cause of the Sept 11 attacks and trying to analyse Bono's comments, but yet the most interesting thing you can find in this post is 2 of my lines, that you decided to edit together. Since I'm not sure what the hell your post was about, I won't say anything more until you respond.

hehe, sorry seconds, thought that wasnt too clear. I actually do agree with what you are saying, whole heartedly. I believe that the events of Sept. 11 should, and have in fact woken up some people to the horrific state of the world, just beyond that silver door. I believe what Bono is trying to say, is not that we should travel more, although maybe some folks should try taking a trip down to central america and see for themselves what the "big brother" attitude has created within those beautiful countries. After the attacks, america is no longer an island, evident by the fact that they enlisted the help of nations such as England, and have found themselves powerless to destructive regimes the world over. What i find amazing even within this forum, is that peole are much happier to latch on to a hook term, or line; and ignore what the real problem is.

There is a particular situation that i believe applies to what Bono is trying to say. In Guatemala, my place of birth, there has been a great increase in the lack of safety since the peace treaty was signed back in '95. Although in paper all looks rather happy go lucky; and the money brought in by the U.S. as a response did take care of some immediate problems, what that has since created is in fact the very opposite of what was first intended. The support has in fact taken jobs away from some poeple {army soldiers for one} who arent trained to do anything else, mostly because that is what they have been doing all their lives! now in fact; there is a greater crime rate than when 'the war' was going on, because these people are broke!! the only way to survive is to take from the rich using whatever means necessary; doesnt make it right by any means. But they have been pushed to that point!!

What i believe has happened in the U.S. is a great shock to most people, i am now living in Canada west coast, and we have felt the effects of the attacks. No longer are world events, somewhere off at the edge of a map seen as little instances without further concequence. So, i'm not sure if i answered your questions properly, i might be rambling on a bit, but i could go on for hours about this. I guess all i'm trying to say is, yes, folks, maybe we should try to read between the lines a little more!! to be honest, Bono isnt' making it very tough at all. He actually gives us great credit, and has in the past by making the statements that he makes, without feeling the need to draw a line on the sand. Now, before i get fruited out of here, i'm off to search for my passport!!!
biggrin.gif

The goal is Sheol!!! take care y'all..

------------------
"I don't want to be the bleeding hearts club here, but you can't close your eyes to what's going on in the world. But you want to hopefully make a music that tries to transcend that and lift yourself and, if you're lucky, other people out of that." -- Bono, 1997

I just wanted to say I totally agree with Bono! I always felt this way! I have been fortunate to see America in the eyes of others as a Peace Corps Volunteer and a traveler. The stereotypes of Americans is not a good one.

If any of you want to see the world and do it cheaply ask me! It depends on how you do it!! Do you want to experience the country or just visit a "little America" abroad. Most people I know what to go to a place just like America. How many people do you know only eat McDonald's when they're in Europe. Please!!

Want to see the world Cheaply? Backpack!! I met tons of great people that way of all cultures and ages!!

Peace!

Originally posted by skjuls:
I just wanted to say I totally agree with Bono! I always felt this way! I have been fortunate to see America in the eyes of others as a Peace Corps Volunteer and a traveler. The stereotypes of Americans is not a good one.

If any of you want to see the world and do it cheaply ask me! It depends on how you do it!! Do you want to experience the country or just visit a "little America" abroad. Most people I know what to go to a place just like America. How many people do you know only eat McDonald's when they're in Europe. Please!!

Want to see the world Cheaply? Backpack!! I met tons of great people that way of all cultures and ages!!

Peace!

Thank you! That is what I was trying to say earlier. Backpack, eat with the locals, and stay at hostels. Help harvest the grape crop during wine season. It's a big wide world and it's waiting to be discovered.

*sigh*

I want to pull my backpack out and hit the road again, dammit!

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe and U2 Concert Pics

I agree with Bono as a gut instinct.

But part of me thought, well thats a mighty fine way to tie his World Debt Relief goals and the African plight to the pain we are experiencing here in the U.S. with our losses.

Coincidence or brilliance?

I prefer to simply agree with Bono plain and simple but some times I think too much!

Back
Top Bottom