Do U2 still have room for improvement musically and lyrically?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
This is a question that I have been pondering for quite some time now.

U2's members are already in their 40's. Do you think they still have room for improvement musically and lyrically?

To state it in a different way, do you view U2 as students of their craft constantly looking for new things to add to their musical arsenal, or do you see U2 as masters who have already hit their stide and just maintain their level?

If you think U2 still have room for improvement musically, what particular instruments and technical methods can they improve on for their next album?

If you think U2 still have room for improvement lyrically, in what way in their lyric-writing can they do a better job on?

If you think U2 will still improve and are constantly improving, what musical and lyrical elements do you see in ATYCLB and HTDAAB that shows a marked evolution from Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby?

If you think U2 are no longer looking to try out new things to improve upon, please explain why you think that way.

I'd just like to clarify that my questions talk about improvements as recording artists, and in album-making. Not in live music making, because it is a natural progression that as the tour rolls along the new songs get better. It's more about their growth and improvement from album to album, and what kind of improvement you expect for the next album.

I'm sorry I don't have an opinion yet on my own questions I pose. I can't answer them right now, that is why I ask for your opinions.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

If you think U2 still have room for improvement musically?

J

I'm fairly confident that U2 themselves would admit that there is room for improvement, musically speaking - nobody's perfect.

Right who's turn to answer next question (maybe we should be dismantling Jicks posts in shifts?)

boystupidboy said:
I bloody hope so .The've hardly made a decent tune since New years day,'bout time they produced the goods.

This thead is not about making decent tunes, but about improvement musically and lyrically - like perhaps new guitar sounds to explore, new genres to incorporate, a new songwriting process --- what areas could they improve upon, it any? Technically, is there still room for improvement for Clayton and Mullen and Edge? Things like that ....

Cheers,

J

jick said:

U2's members are already in their 40's. Do you think they still have room for improvement musically and lyrically?

To state it in a different way, do you view U2 as students of their craft constantly looking for new things to add to their musical arsenal, or do you see U2 as masters who have already hit their stide and just maintain their level?

If you think U2 still have room for improvement musically, what particular instruments and technical methods can they improve on for their next album?

If you think U2 still have room for improvement lyrically, in what way in their lyric-writing can they do a better job on?

If you think U2 will still improve and are constantly improving, what musical and lyrical elements do you see in ATYCLB and HTDAAB that shows a marked evolution from Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby?

If you think U2 are no longer looking to try out new things to improve upon, please explain why you think that way.

I'd just like to clarify that my questions talk about improvements as recording artists, and in album-making. Not in live music making, because it is a natural progression that as the tour rolls along the new songs get better. It's more about their growth and improvement from album to album, and what kind of improvement you expect for the next album.

I'm sorry I don't have an opinion yet on my own questions I pose. I can't answer them right now, that is why I ask for your opinions.

Cheers,

J
Seems like they've been on auto-pilot for ATYCLB and HTDAAB, honestly. Pop was the last U2 record that wowed me with the lyrics. Hey, and no wise cracks about Miami.

I think they can improve. More importantly, I think the band things they can improve. The band have often talked about breaking up once the music becomes mediocre. Whether the fans think the music is mediocre is another thing - its purely subjective.

For the band, its not subjective - they are still on a musical journey (wherever it takes them next album!). I do think the next album will take a different direction from ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Maybe they could start with an easier title ....

U2 have been proving us for almost 30 years that they can be the same but always re-inventing themselves with new musical influences and directions, and lyrically too.
I'm sad whey people say that HTDAAB isn't more than a new ATYCLB... They took something that has been around, they "washed it" and and brought it back to us.
I think that's what U2's gonna be making until the band's "death". New or actual artists have been proving to us that they not like them predecessors and that they can not sit in their studio couch and make the same again and again.
I guess that U2's next studio album will always sound like U2 and will show even more maturity than HTDAAB. It'll be even more raw guitared and lyrically straight and intensive.
There'll always be something (even if the albuns get worst with time) that will be keeping pushing our (and people's and the media's) attention like "we're not done yet".

shaun vox said:
i still hope that the edge will learn lead rock guitar some day maby when he's 50 he will finally play some rock leads:rockon:

Your a guitar man like myself but Edge plays a unique style and theres no need for him to be a generic rock guitarist he's something more than that

I think they need to improve. In MY opinion 'Zooropa' was their last GREAT album, although 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' will grow on me!

I think if they're going to in any new direction for the next album, it will be similar to songs like Fast Cars and Love and Peace on Earth

lyrically welldone, and that kind of experimental edge I haven't heard since Pop

jick said:

The key to this question is whether or not Bono can tap into another great theme before his career is done. I think that Bono has almost tapped out how far he can go with relationship-oriented and self examination-oriented lyrics. I have no doubt that religion inspired lyrics will be part of Bono's arsenal until the end, but there needs to be a new angle in order to find other truths in the world. I think that if Bono can find some of these other truths and weave them into a theme then he will improve lyrically. If he doesn't find other truths then his best lyrical days are behind him. I will finish by adding that I'm a glass half-full kind of guy when it comes to U2's future.

Can U2 improve musically and lyrically? Most definitely, there is always room for innovation and improvement.

The real question is "do U2 care about innovation and improvement."

To that I would answer a big fat no in the post-POP U2. They're on autopilot as someone already said....I think U2 would rather regergitate old sounds and go out strong than to try something innovative and have the possibility of going out embarrased.

ImOuttaControl said:
The real question is "do U2 care about innovation and improvement."
To that I would answer a big fat no in the post-POP U2.

:scratch: So after Pop, you reckon U2 were happy to churn out anything as good as, or worse than that album?:ohmy:

I like Pop, but prefer the latter albums. This isn't because I prefer the 'Classic U2 sound' that is more prominent throughout ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but simply because (IMO) they are stronger, better albums.
I'm not against innovation, because it's a necessary component of improvement. I'm not convinced though, that greater innovation necessarily dictates greater improvement. Do you think 'Kid A' was Radioheads best work? Or "Up" REM's greatest achievement?
Innovation can take more subtle and more effective guises than the making of Pop. Even though their last 2 albums are regarded as 'More U2ish" they are still finding new ways to express themselves whilst complimenting, what they do best. I'm not reminded of any other U2 song whilst listening to 'New York', 'Love and Peace or else', 'Grace' or 'Vertigo'

P.S. HTDAAB is a mofo of an album...long live the kings.

The day you stop trying to improve yourself, is the day you begin to die.

So, yes, there is always room for improvement. And they know that as well as anyone.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I think if they're going to in any new direction for the next album, it will be similar to songs like Fast Cars and Love and Peace on Earth

Nah, I think they will develop an album with similar songs as Peace On Earth Or Else!
:wink:

Hi!

Music evolves............it senses its place and time.

I don't think music improves....it's more that music changes....technically how correct can music become..........it's a matter of interpretation...music is not a science, or is it?

Can U2 get better? I like where they're at right now.

carol
wizard2c

:cool:

corner said:

Do you think 'Kid A' was Radioheads best work? Or "Up" REM's greatest achievement?

I like REM's Up but it's too obscure and depressing in many parts. Whatever I heard of Kid A, it was too damn weird, more so than even early Floyd. But Pop is I think in a totally different league. Though it gets depressing towards the end, the album flat out rocks! And the lyrics are among the best ever. By the way I agree with the following statement posted earlier.

Can U2 improve musically and lyrically? Most definitely, there is always room for innovation and improvement. The real question is "do U2 care about innovation and improvement." To that I would answer a big fat no in the post-POP U2. They're on autopilot as someone already said....I think U2 would rather regergitate old sounds and go out strong than to try something innovative and have the possibility of going out embarrased.

LemonMacPhisto said:

yeah, Love and Peace on Earth is totally my favourite U2 song ever. Hey, wouldn't it be interesting if someone spliced the two...? Would that be possible? It would be interesting. Like have the beginning of Peace on Earth, and then after the first verse or whatever go into Love and Peace or Else's badass guitar riff... that'd be fuckin tight.

Room for improvement? Of course. If they can't improve what's the point? I think/hope that Mercy is an indication of the direction U2 is headed in. Mercy is one of U2's greatest songs (in my opinion) and significantly better than anything on HTDAAB (though I love HTDAAB. it's my third favourite album right now.)

I think they are at the top of the mountain. They will not improve. They are at a very high level and I do not see them falling, but they will not rise either. Simply put, I think they are satisfied with where they are and thats it. They have different priorities now, whether that be family, more free time or humanitarian. When you are young you take chances and challenges are considered exciting, with age I think you get more conservative and those challenges(in re-inventing your musical style/genre) do not have the appeal they once did.

Which is really ok with me. I really do not think there will ever be a band like u2 again. Bands make 3 or 4 cd's at the most it seems like now before they break up and all the rest of them are talentless teenagers talking about their terrible lives.

Last edited:
they still have the potential coming up with new sounds but i fear they won't use it. they will play the safe game.

Back
Top Bottom