do U2 owe us for loyalty or dont they

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellow moog

War Child
A fan of 23 years, I wonder if I have any right to ask for a greater chance of tickets after many thousands of dollars spent on concerts, travel, collectors items, books etc.

I have memories I will always treasure that is my reward, but do we along with all others who missed out on tickets for USA shows havy any right to those tickets. I think unfortunately not.

U2 sold the rights for the tour to TNA. U2 are GUARANTEED a certain figure by TNA for the whole tour. Any money made over that amount by TNA is PURE PROFIT! TNA can do what they like with the tickets! U2 signed the rights over to them.

Could U2 have stipulated that TNA sell the tickets a certain way? Of course they could. They have the clout to do that as the biggest band in the world.

I wish U2 had invested in their own ticketing system to beat the touts but what can you do.

SO anyn other long or even short term fan ticketless feel the same way?

I have followed them from the beginning. I fail to see why I should have a better chance at getting a ticket. Get over it.

U2 don't owe us anything and we don't owe them anything.

The fans' relationship with U2 is not a long term contract but a case-to-case basis. If the fan likes the U2 product (album, ticket, etc) then the fan buys it, enjoys it, while U2 takes the fan's money.

And just like in any relationship, there is screwing.

U2 screws us over with the U2.com membership and ticket fiasco, and misleading the fans to make a quick buck.

We fans screw U2 over by now owning their entire back catalogue and having a number of their songs on mp3, not to mention the bootleg performances we have.

So there is no long term relationship and no one owes anyone anything.

Cheers,

J

U2.com purportedly sold people the chance to get a better ticket. In fact, they stated that members will get tickets during the presale.

U2 doesn't owe me a thing. But if I am sold something, I expect to receive what I purchased.

U2 don't owe us anything. Buying CDs, and going to see them live is a luxury, not a necessity.

Since jick brought the relationship comparison, there's also unpredictable events in them. U2 has at first said 30 US dates, and then something, something big probably - Edge's family illness? - made them go for the coasts, Chicago and I think two cities in the southern parts of America - 13 dates were first published. I think that more fans would get tickets if the original McGuiness' mentioned plan would have happened. And Ticketmaster didn't foresee the attack on the tickets from scalpers.

And in every relationship, there's mistakes - U2 could have chosen the pre-sale agency better, but Ticketmaster should have handled it better. Perhaps U2's organisation (management, not the band) underestimated the demand for tickets when they were handing out codes or they didn't get as much tickets as they hoped for - I don't think this happened as intentionally as some like to say.

Last edited:
We chose to buy their stuff, so they don't owe us..........but I do think they owe fan club members after the disaster that occurred........putting a lot of the live shows up on the website for FREE is just one of many things they could do to at least give us our money's worth......but whatever, they probably won't.

As a practical matter, no, they don't. As an ethical matter, yes, they do. It's the golden rule, the idea of reciprocity. If you do something good for someone (making them into multi-millionaires, enabling a rather iffy-looking man to date a supermodel, allowing a short man with a god complex to rub elbows with world leaders in Davos) then yeah, the golden rule would suggest that they be generous to us in return. Ethicly, they should do their best to return the favor.
As for Jick's point, any of them, I've never seen the guy post an honest thought in his life. He simply posts whatever will get a rise out of people. He claims to be a lawyer and has taken the ideals that go along with that profession to a bizarrely ugly point, at least when it comes to discussing U2. I've seen posts from him from years now and I cannot count the times he's blatantly disagreed with himself. I just don't read them anymore because I know he doesn't believe a word he posts. He just does it to get a reaction.

How is it even possible for U2 to owe us anything? It's not. Some of you need to get over yourselves.

I asked a question just to see how people felt.

As others Agree. U2 don't 'owe' us anything, but does that mean they should turn a blind eye when their services (U2 concert tickets) are being gobbled up by every tout with a TM/TNA contact?
And just another thoguht, other bands with long terms fans feel it is their DUTY to look after long term fans and offer them WAY BETTER treatment than U2 (Bowie, Prince, Pearl JAm etc). Does this make U2 bad for not trying as hard? Thats a tough one.

mellow moog said:
I asked a question just to see how people felt.

As others Agree. U2 don't 'owe' us anything, but does that mean they should turn a blind eye when their services (U2 concert tickets) are being gobbled up by every tout with a TM/TNA contact?

Are they doing that? All the U2 news reports I read these last days show that they are trying to get as few tickets in the hands of touts (and preventing them to get any in future sales) as possible.

that is a large debate on whether any band, U2 or another owe anybody for fan loyalty. Personally all I wanted was an apology and a recognition for their mistake and when Larry Mullen gave that at the Grammy's that was enough for me but I'm one of those u2 fans that stuck by them thick and through and will continue to do so 'cause to me, music speaks louder than actions.

I agree with jick and nbcrusader in the sense that there is mutual screwing over, but not the kind of screwing over that jick describes being done by the band. A more "acceptable screwing" would be exhorbitant ticket prices or "crappy" products. Something like that. However, actual deception on the part of the band, in terms of business (such as false advertising for instance) is not acceptable.

Last edited:
U2 dont owe us anything except to make the best music that they are capable of making and in my mind they are still doing that.

It all depends on what you mean by...." U2 owes us loyalty"!!!

If you mean they owe us loyalty by ALWAYS giving the audience an "EXCELLENT" concert each time they tour, then that answer is "YES". :drool: :drool: ( They do owe us that!!!)

But if you're thinking about ALWAYS getting something for nothing
or maybe that they owe us...for us turning them into millionaires or famous people, then that answer is "NO WAY" :shame::shame:
No one twisted your arm to buy U2's music or products...that is YOUR OWN choice..
People who think U2 owe us any kind of loyalty..(other than a GREAT concert)...are just plain jealous...it's as simple as that!!!

Hi folks,

And by the way Jick, I love your avatar!

I can understand how dissapointing it is....when you are lead to believe that you will have priority seating at your favorite band's concerts. Only to learn that less then ten percent of the tickets, were held back. From Ticket Masters and their associates. Out of the "ten percent," most of those went to the scalpers.

Everyone agrees that the "presale" was a disastor, compared to the way Propaganda handled things. But, does U2 owe us? I would say yes. At least when it comes to the paid fan club. We have supported their carreers for 25 years now. And please don't think I am bashing them at all. Because, I believe that they are genuinely sorry for the way things went down. But, they do "owe" us. By, making sure ticket sales are handled much better, in the future.

I still love the band. They will always be my favorite!

Take care everyone,

Maeve

jick said:
U2 don't owe us anything and we don't owe them anything.

The fans' relationship with U2 is not a long term contract but a case-to-case basis. If the fan likes the U2 product (album, ticket, etc) then the fan buys it, enjoys it, while U2 takes the fan's money.

And just like in any relationship, there is screwing.

U2 screws us over with the U2.com membership and ticket fiasco, and misleading the fans to make a quick buck.

We fans screw U2 over by now owning their entire back catalogue and having a number of their songs on mp3, not to mention the bootleg performances we have.

So there is no long term relationship and no one owes anyone anything.

Cheers,

J

I agree with your first statement.

However I do not agree that U2 "screwed" anyone over the ticket fiasco - it was an admin cock-up which they have tried hard to rectify.

In regard to bootleg performances, personally I don't have any in my collection, but in any case Bono is on record as saying he has no problem with fans recording the concerts so it's hardly "screwing" U2 to buy a bootleg!

Most people who buy U2 bootlegs are already U2 fans so presumably would have spent a lot on official releases anyway!

Back
Top Bottom