'Do They Know It's Christmas' VS. 'What's Going On'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do they Know It's Christmas was a very good pop song, it had unity and a sense of itself.
The vocals of 20+ people work well together, each one does their best to enhance the song. When EVEN Boy George has a good vocal, you know something went right. Good harmonys and musicianship.

'What's Goin' On' remake. This song is a little too ambitious. It could have been a much better pop song IF it had not tried to meld so many styles together. It sounds as if the song changes with each performer. The vibe of the song changes from soul to hip-hop and back again. It lacks a sense of unity due to the constant changing. It's almost as if the song is showcasing the vocalists instead of the singers doing their best to make the song work. With each artist trying to be an individual rather than mesh together. And a very annoying part that almost ruins it is the faint 'what' 'uh-huh' and 'come on's that are throughout the song. Hearing these sayings is just plain annoying.

[This message has been edited by Buck Futter (edited 09-30-2001).]

i never thought i, of all people, would be saying this, but i find your name incredibly offensive.

i can't believe the mods approved you.
mad.gif

------------------
~whortense wiffin
walla walla, washington

Hmm...you bring up a good point...

I do love both songs though. However, I think that I prefer "Do They Know It's Christmas?" out of the two.

------------------
PLEBA: It's Just A Stinkin' Forum!!!!!!! Yeesh!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Whortense:
i never thought i, of all people, would be saying this, but i find your name incredibly offensive.

i can't believe the mods approved you.
mad.gif

Well, I personally approved the account, and I'll admit I had some reservations about the name.

But given what some people have said in the forum, the name seems tame.

Trebek: Yes, that must be your wager, one Buck. And your answer is...Futter. Buck Futter, I don't get it.

Connery: Oh, I think you do, Trebek. I think you do.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Buck Futter:
Don't judge a book by its cover Melon.

And if you don't want to attract unwarranted attention, don't get a name like that.

But you obviously know who I am and have been here a while, as I posted under Whortense, rather than melon.

I think I know who you are...
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

"Whats Going On" has something more in common with "Do They Know It's Christmas?". It features a bunch of pop artists that wont be heard from ever again, in a few years.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom