"Do a damn thing"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
This thread is related to Bono's appearance on the O'Reilly Factor. Bono himself said that the AIDS crisis is the biggest health emergency in 600 years but it's not on the news. Well something about 6500 people dying a day doesn't sit right with me... Wouldn't it make a great statement to have O'Reilly's email bombarded with U2 fans saying that this IS something that America cares about and is something very 'newsworthy'?! Now on the other thread we have had several already write in emails and I applaud them for it-- but I want more of you guys to join in! This would be a wonderful chance to honor what Bono is trying to do and would be a great way to give something back to a man that has given us so much of himself, and show everyone that U2 fans truly are the best fans! :wink:

I'm rebelling against the idea.. that the world is the way the world is...and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. So I'm trying to do, a damn thing."
--Bono

Let's do this guys! Email at speakout@foxnews.com and oreilly@foxnews.com

(For the "lazy" or those who aren't sure what to say, below is a sample letter. Just cut and paster--it'll take 3 minutes tops!)

Your sample letter---->

Very thankful to have had the oppurtunity to see a man that I respect talk about an emergency that I take very personally. Bono's interview was fantastic and he is absolutley right in saying that this is not a cause....it's an emergency!

12 million African children have already lost one or both parents to AIDS, and unless things change around, there will be more than 20 million AIDS orphans by the end of the decade! Can you imagine being born with a death sentence hanging over your head? Businesses are losing their workers, governments are losing their civil servants, families are losing their breadwinners. As a result, entire communities are devastated and economies that are already crippled are affected even more so. ---There is something about 6500 people a day dying because they were born in the wrong geographical area that does not sit well with me at all.---

While the moral case stands alone as a reason to act, richer countries also have economic and security reasons to fight this emergency. Just look at Afghanistan, this devastated place has become breeding grounds for terrorists. Acting now to stop the spread of AIDS, is not just the moral thing to do it's the practical thing. This is a wonderful chance for America to show that we really do believe that human life is an inallienable right and can be pursued with liberty and justice! Give Africa the 1% GDP and not a penny less.

-A supporter of the 'Man In Shades'

Send to: speakout@foxnews.com and oreilly@foxnews.com

For inspiration---> :wink:
"Revolution starts at home, in your heart, in your refusal to compromise your beliefs and your values. I'm not interested in politics like people fighting back with sticks and stones, but in the politics of love." ~Bono

Proverbs 31:8, 9 - Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Last edited:
elevation2u said:
yes but we're all so comfortably numb

The apathy of many people is truly sad.

Consider me involved in this one. I'm not going to allow myself to fall victim to Comfort Zone Syndrome.

i'm keen
what do i do, just copy and paste your sample letter into an email or write my own??? (or half half)

di_g said:
i'm keen
what do i do, just copy and paste your sample letter into an email or write my own??? (or half half)

You can do whatever! You can copy and paste and slap your name on, or you can freestyle and do your own thing--even using some of the sample letter if you want. The only important thing is that you do it! Thank you so much for coming aboard!
:up:

:hug: To all my awesome Interference friends!

Some of us may be comfortably numb while others of us are already actively doing exactly what is being suggestes so we don't always have the time we would like to be here posting.:wink:

Ultimately we want to motivate ourselves to get out into the real world also and tangibly "do a damn thing".

But I encourage y'all to keep these threads going. :hug:

THIS IS THE TIME TO FINISH WHAT YOU'VE STARTED. THIS IS NO TIME TO DREAM....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Jamila said:
Some of us may be comfortably numb while others of us are already actively doing exactly what is being suggestes so we don't always have the time we would like to be here posting.:wink:

Thank you for saying that Jamila. I wouldn't assume that the lack of response in this thread is an indication of apathy or people not sending the emails...some people might not want to look like they are "tooting their own horns" so to speak by posting about it afterward and simply choose to go about it quietly.

I think it's great idea and while e-mailing O'Reilly send an e-mail off to your elected official .. all you have to do is change the e-mail address and direct it to their attention let them know where you stand .. it's a perfect time to overwhelm them with responses and DATA also has a toll free line http://www.datadata.org/action/tellyourleaders/

DATA has set up a special toll-free number, so you can call your leaders in Washington and urge them to follow through on last year's progress in fighting AIDS and poverty in Africa.
Call 1-877-HOPE-USA
(1-877-467-3872)
This call is toll free and you can choose to be directly connected to your Senators and Congressional Representatives in Washington, DC.
What to Say When You Call “HOPE-USA”:
“I am calling to ask the Senator/Representative to stop cutting President’s Foreign Assistance budget.”
“As a voter, I am very concerned about the crisis of AIDS and poverty in Africa and around the world.”
“Any cuts to the President’s Foreign Assistance budget threaten crucial programs such as the Global AIDS Act and the Millennium Challenge Account, as well as other life saving humanitarian programs. Please pass along my views to the Senator/Representative. Thank you.”

Katey said:
I think it's great idea and while e-mailing O'Reilly send an e-mail off to your elected official .. all you have to do is change the e-mail address and direct it to their attention let them know where you stand .. it's a perfect time to overwhelm them with responses and DATA also has a toll free line http://www.datadata.org/action/tellyourleaders/

Good idea. I like the word you used: overwhelm!

starsgoblue said:

Well shine on you crazy diamond! The time you took to write that you could have written the email!

for your information i did write the email, well i diodnt actually write it ... copied and pasted... but i cant stand when people assume what you did or didnt do:mad:

elevation2u said:

for your information i did write the email, well i diodnt actually write it ... copied and pasted... but i cant stand when people assume what you did or didnt do:mad:

Sweets, I wasn't assuming that you didn't! I just couldn't resist getting a chance to quote PF. I didn't mean to offend! :hug:

Hey all! I'm always glad to see a "wake UP and DO SOMETHING" thread. If you have not called the White House and your Rep to ask them to support the Jubilee Bill, why not do so today? Right now? :yes: That's all it takes to be one of Bono's Angels! :angel:

Here's a sample letter, as well as the Action Alert.

Jubilee USA Network
Countdown to Freedom from Debt Campaign

On September 1st, Call the White House and U.S. Treasury & Ask the Administration to Support Full Debt Cancellation for Impoverished Countries!

It is a critical moment in the movement for impoverished country debt cancellation. We need you to CALL the White House and the U.S. Treasury Department on Wednesday, September 1. When you call, ask that the administration announce its support for 100% multilateral debt cancellation for all impoverished nations when the G-7 Finance Ministers meet in Washington on October 1.

To call the White House, dial: 202-456-1414
To call the US Treasury Department, dial: 202-622-0656 (This is the office of Undersecretary for International Affairs John Taylor -- please ask to leave a message with the receptionist for Mr. Taylor, not to transfer to voicemail)

When you call, you can use or adapt one or more of the below talking points:

� I am calling to urge President Bush and the Treasury Department to support 100% cancellation of debts owed by impoverished nations to the World Bank, IMF, and other mulilateral financial institutions. I want to encourage President Bush/US Treasury to use US leverage to build consensus in the G-7 for 100% debt cancellation, and to announce support for 100% cancellation at the G-7 Finance Ministers meeting on October 1.
� All African countries are paying more on debt service than on health care for their people, even with limited and conditional debt relief. The average spending per person on debt service is $14 per person while the average spending on health is less than $5 per person.
� Meanwhile, we know that debt relief works. Uganda, the first country to receive debt relief used $1.3 million of its debt savings specifically for their national HIV/AIDS plan. This investment played a key role in the government?s success in reducing HIV infection rates by 40%. Imagine what 100% cancellation would achieve!
� I support 100% cancellation of multilateral debt (IMF, World Bank, regional development banks) for all impoverished nations (not just those countries in the current HIPC Initiative), without harmful economic policy conditions attached, and from the institutions? existing resources. I also support moving away from loans to grants for impoverished nations.
� I am calling as part of Jubilee USA Network?s Countdown to Freedom from Debt campaign. Today marks 30 days until debt decision day ? we hope to be able to ring in freedom from debt on October 1st!

Background

At the G-8 summit in early June, world leaders considered for the first time a proposal that would provide 100% multilateral debt cancellation for impoverished nations. Debt cancellation is desperately needed?this year alone, 3 million people in Africa will die due to the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Yet countries on the African continent will send an estimated $15 billion in debt service to the IMF, World Bank, and wealthy creditor nations this year.

Though they failed to take action at the June summit, G-8 leaders directed their finance ministers (including the US Treasury Secretary) to consider additional measures in the coming months. Their next meeting will take place on October 1, 2004, just before the Annual Meetings of the IMF and World Bank in Washington, DC.

So, we have from now until early October to turn up the heat, pull out all the stops, and put the pressure on our government and other G-7 governments to announce 100% cancellation! Jubilee USA Network?s demand of the U.S. government and other G-7 nations is that they announce support for 100% cancellation of multilateral debt (IMF, World Bank, regional development banks) for all impoverished nations (not just those countries in the current HIPC Initiative), without harmful economic policy conditions attached.

See more information on the Countdown to Freedom from debt at www.jubileeusa.org

Thank you for taking a moment to make this important call and please pass this message along to others!!!

And the sample letter I wrote, which you are free to cut and paste. (Obviously plug in the name and address of your rep, which is at house.gov. :wink: )

Representative Jim Moran
2239 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515-4608

August 30, 2004

Dear Rep. Moran:

Recently a bipartisan group of your colleagues, including Representatives Waters, Leach, Franks and Bachus, sponsored a groundbreaking new piece of legislation, HR 4793, the JUBILEE Act. It would significantly reduce global poverty by requiring Treasury to work in appropriate multilateral settings to achieve 100% debt cancellation for a list of 50 developing nations. The bill urges that this cancellation come from the international financial institutions� own resources, and significantly, that no harmful structural adjustment conditions be attached.
This bill will provide impoverished nations the fresh start they need for development. It will significantly reduce poverty throughout Asia, South America and especially Africa, where resources are desperately needed for clinics, schools, infrastructure and fighting AIDS.
As the JUBILEE Act calls in the creditors to cancel debt from their own resources, it does not place a financial burden on the U.S. The IMF and World Bank will likely respond that they cannot afford this, but accounting firms in the UK recently released a report demonstrating that, with their reserves and gold, they can indeed finance this debt cancellation without affecting their ability to lend in the future.
As a constituent, I am asking that you co-sponsor and give your full support to this legislation. A more prosperous world is a safe and more stable world.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you on this vital moral issue.

Sincerely,

Let's make some noise!

Cheryl

Stars--certainly any way in which we can raise the profile of this issue is a good thing. But I can't understate the importance of communicating with our leaders on this--and doing so BEFORE Oct 1, when the next G7 meeting happens. :)

I hope you've sent your letter to your Rep and the WHr, and thank you for making it easy to write to Fox News about how many Americans care about this issue! :up:

I know we have a lot of new folks on the board with all the excitement about the new album. ( :faint: :dance: :hyper: ) Don't be shy--introduce yourself and DO A DAMN THING! :D :angel:

Peace, and thanks again Stars for this thread-

SD

:applaud: This is a great thread to give people the tools to make a difference!

I do believe the media is a good step in addition to calling on the government to make a difference. Hopefully the media will inspire more people to help assist in this emergency.

I sit back and think of 3 Madison Square Garden's full of people disappearing each week when they can be helped. It doesn't make sense to me to let this continue to happen when the expense to help them is much less than the potental costs that could occur if their children join the terrorist groups after they are gone. :( We just can't let this happen anymore!

Back
Top Bottom