DMB continues to one up U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowlock

Refugee
Haven't liked this band since 1994, but the GF's a fanatic. DMB's premium website totally rocks, they put out quality (at least considered so by their fans) albums & DVD's regularily and constantly tour. Now, even their best of is done better than U2's:

DMB Comes 'Around' With Hits, Live Tracks

October 12, 2006, 3:20 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Dave Matthews Band's first retrospective, "Best of What's Around Volume 1," will arrive Nov. 7 via RCA. As previously reported, the two-disc features rare live tracks selected by fans in addition to familiar hits like "Crash," "The Space Between" and "What Would You Say?"

Here is the track list for "Best of What's Around":

Disc one:
"Best of What's Around"
"What Would You Say?"
"Crash Into Me"
"Too Much"
"Rapunzel"
"Crush"
"So Right"
"The Space Between"
"Grey Street"
"Grace Is Gone"
"Hunger for the Great Light"
"American Baby"

Disc two (live):

"Don't Drink the Water" (West Palm Beach, Fla., 2005)
"Warehouse" (Alpine Valley, Wis., 2006)
"Say Goodbye" (Denver, 2000)
"Stay (Wasting Time)" (Selma, Texas, 2003)
"Everyday" (Saratoga Springs, N.Y., 2006)
"Louisiana Bayou" (Selma, Texas, 2005)
"Ants Marching" (Sydney, 2005)
"Two Step" (East Rutherford, N.J., 2001)
----

At least we get two new songs, but I would trade those for DMB's level of album output.

Dorian Gray said:
too bad their songs are only a fraction as good...

I wouldn't even say a fraction. But they seem to do everything from a fans point of view when it comes to the business aspect of things. Notice even on the second disk that none of the songs are duplicated on the first disk? And it's not just one concert, but best performances from a number of tours?

Some of the other things they do well:

Their website, The Warehouse, gives true priority ticketing, and it's for the best seats of the venue.

There's tons of live stuff exclusive to members, some of which are free with resubscription.

They've realeased at least four shows as live CD's & DVD's

And the best part, they tour set schedules EVERY YEAR.

I wish U2 operated even half way like that.

Some more stuff:

Set lists rotate, especially when they play multiple shows at the same venue.

They encourage tapers, allowing fans to apply for special passes to set up mics. Their bootlegs are amazing.

You'll often hear new songs being tried out on tour prior to the album release

At their warehouse site is much more exclusive material like books, mousepads, lithographs; and the stuff rotates, not the same stale sold out crap they've had for 3 years.

Seriously, they kick U2's ass in this department. But more importantly U2 kick their ass in the music department.

Last edited:
I have Busted Stuff and the live DVD that came with it was so boring that I haven't watched it since the day I bought it four years ago. The album is good, though. I would say that it and Everyday are my favorite DMB albums.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
while it's a certainly a great idea, if you're a dmb fan that is, i wouldn't exactly say that dmb is "continuing" to one up u2... unless you plan on showing examples of how they've "one upped" u2 in the past

see above^

I don't see where they've one upped anyone? With the exception of having a better website, but hell garage bands have better websites than U2.

If they're continuing to one-up U2, that must mean they have before. Please enlighten me as to when this happened.

the tourist said:
If they're continuing to one-up U2, that must mean they have before. Please enlighten me as to when this happened.

did you not read his second post in this thread?

I'm sorry this may sound ignorant. I've been a U2 fan for 24 years so as you can see I'm not a spring chicken but not yet over-the-hill either...and I could not tell you one DMB song if my life depended on it. I can honestly say I have never heard anything they've ever done. I know they're very popular and have sold a ton of albums and their tours always do well, but I have never knowingly listened to one of their songs. For you DMB fans, what is like their most popular song that I've probably heard and just didn't know it was them?

Chizip said:

did you not read his second post in this thread?

No, because honestly I could care less about Dave Matthew Band. I don't see them all over like I see U2 all over. So obviously the one-upping isn't working out for them.

not THE second post in the thread, HIS second post in the thread

his list of things they have done better than u2

Some of the other things they do well:

Their website, The Warehouse, gives true priority ticketing, and it's for the best seats of the venue.

There's tons of live stuff exclusive to members, some of which are free with resubscription.

They've realeased at least four shows as live CD's & DVD's

And the best part, they tour set schedules EVERY YEAR.

I wish U2 operated even half way like that.

Some more stuff:

Set lists rotate, especially when they play multiple shows at the same venue.

They encourage tapers, allowing fans to apply for special passes to set up mics. Their bootlegs are amazing.

You'll often hear new songs being tried out on tour prior to the album release

At their warehouse site is much more exclusive material like books, mousepads, lithographs; and the stuff rotates, not the same stale sold out crap they've had for 3 years.

Seriously, they kick U2's ass in this department. But more importantly U2 kick their ass in the music department.

Chizip said:
not THE second post in the thread, HIS second post in the thread

his list of things they have done better than u2

Sorry, read your response too quickly the first time.

U2FloridaFan said:
I'm sorry this may sound ignorant. I've been a U2 fan for 24 years so as you can see I'm not a spring chicken but not yet over-the-hill either...and I could not tell you one DMB song if my life depended on it. I can honestly say I have never heard anything they've ever done. I know they're very popular and have sold a ton of albums and their tours always do well, but I have never knowingly listened to one of their songs. For you DMB fans, what is like their most popular song that I've probably heard and just didn't know it was them?

"The Space Between" is a semi-recent one and "Where are You Going?" was in the movie Mr. Deeds, but that was several years ago now. "Ants Marching" from about ten years ago is a well-known one.

Rachel D. said:

"The Space Between" is a semi-recent one and "Where are You Going?" was in the movie Mr. Deeds, but that was several years ago now. "Ants Marching" from about ten years ago is a well-known one.

Never heard any of them. Didn't like any of them but I suppose The Space Between has the most potential at least at the chorus, sounds a bit Coldplay-ish. It's probably a crowd favorite when they play it. Ants Marching is dreadful IMO. Where are u Going doesn't do anything for me but sounds vaguely familiar.

Ok...I've heard enough DMB.

Maybe U2 can get it together and have their fans vote for best live song performances and put out a member's only cd with these voted live hits when fans renew their memberships.

While I'm not at all a DMB fan, it's true that they, like Pearl Jam & others, do better by their fans than U2 does.

Not trying to start a "U2 hates their fans" bitch-fest (that's been done to death here & elsewhere), but in comparison to these other acts they do fall well short in that regard.

I like some of DMB's stuff. Dave's a pretty good guitarist. As for one-upping, I'm not sure. Everyone knows u2.com sucks, that's a given.

But as for the rest of the list, I think a good bit of it is due to the fact that DMB are a different type of band than U2. They're a jam band. What I mean is that their music is much more amenable to jamming and playing around than U2's is. Kind of like the Allman Brothers, Phish, etc. That's what lets try out new material on the road. Did you hear "We/I Love You" from the 2001 Antwerp Elevation Tour show? It's kind of cool...but it sucks at the same time. U2 just don't work like that. It would be like in the middle of a set, playing some of the Salome Outtakes. It'd be pretty cool, but wouldn't really have the U2 sound.

Add to that the fact that DMB don't do anything near what U2 does in terms of stage design, and making it much easier for DMB to tour yearly.

In terms of bootleggers, u2torrents has dozens of quotes of Bono & the rest of the band talking about how they love bootleggers. A sign-up list for tapers? Well, that's not an extraordinarily common thing, so you can't really blame U2 for not doing it...not many other people are, either. :shrug:

As for this live album..... That was what instigated this thread, right---that Dave is tacking on a live cd to his GH album? I really don't understand why people are clamoring for a live GH. We have two commercial live releases from U2---WAIA and UABRS. We also have two fanclub live releases---HLVB and Communication. Plus, there are hundreds of bootlegs that are readily available---for free---many of excellent quality, many soundboard, and many with fantastic performances. I don't quite understand the appeal of paying $12 for a collection of live tracks that you can get anyway. :shrug:

Last edited:
Jaysus, some of you....

I didn't say DMB was a better band than U2.

I said some of the things they do for fans they do better than U2 like:

Set list rotation
A better fan site that has more/better content and more product
A fan generated disk 2 for their greatest hits
Higher frequency of albums
More live products available for purchase
Allowing special passes for tapers that provide higher quality bootlegs

And I said they continue to one up U2 because:

Their DVD release of their promotional videos came out first
Their live shows come out with more frequency
Their website was up and running longer and is much better for their fans than U2's is for their fans.
Their greatest hits has their fans excited, not bitching

After all the constant bitching and complaining about U2 that goes on here, that you rush to contradict facts about a contrasting band that does the exact same things you're bitching for (!) means either you're just a bunch of spoiled brats or just don't know what the F you're talking about.

Last edited:
U2FloridaFan said:

And surely you have heard "Crash into Me"

Look ... DMB and U2 are coming from two totally different musical generes. The "jam band' sounds of DMB is not necessarily going to appeal to fans of U2's pop/rock/punk sounds (though punk isn't what I would use to describe anything they have done of late). And vice versa.

I am not one who likes the "jam band" genere of the Grateful Dead, Phish, etc. But, my sister got me listening to DMB, and while sometimes the jam band style bugs me, I have a deep appreciation for Dave Matthews as a really good lyricst.

That being said, is one better than the other? Who is to say? They're two totally different bands and appeal to different people. U2 does somethings better than DMB and DMB does some things better than U2.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:
either you're just a bunch of spoiled brats or just don't know what the F you're talking about.

If you want your thread to stay open, don't insult people.

For God's sake, people, why is it so hard to carry on discussions without throwing out insults?? I'm so sick of it!! Is it really that hard to be nice and follow rules that really should just be common courtesy?????

They aren't as good as U2, but I have seen DMB live many times. Always a different show, Dave Matthews is an acoustic guitar God! They are awesome. But they aren't one uping U2. U2 is also releasing new materal.

SMB

I think their best of sucks. I like the idea of choosing live tracks, but the studio disc is very short and leaves out a ridiculous number of hit songs that aren't even on the live disc:

Satellite
Jimi Thing
So Much to Say
Tripping Billies
I Did It
Where are You Going?

Utoo said:
What I mean is that their music is much more amenable to jamming and playing around than U2's is. Kind of like the Allman Brothers, Phish, etc. That's what lets try out new material on the road. Did you hear "We/I Love You" from the 2001 Antwerp Elevation Tour show? It's kind of cool...but it sucks at the same time. U2 just don't work like that. It would be like in the middle of a set, playing some of the Salome Outtakes. It'd be pretty cool, but wouldn't really have the U2 sound.
absolutely true

personally I feel sort of the same about A Sort of Homecoming at Slane: sort of cool but actually not really good

U2FloridaFan said:

Never heard any of them. Didn't like any of them but I suppose The Space Between has the most potential at least at the chorus, sounds a bit Coldplay-ish. It's probably a crowd favorite when they play it. Ants Marching is dreadful IMO. Where are u Going doesn't do anything for me but sounds vaguely familiar.

Ok...I've heard enough DMB.

In relation to the quote:
You never heard of them, but then you go on and comment the songs ??? How is it possible...

In relation to some other stuff in this thred:
When did we (U2 fans that is) begin to pull out the "who is more popular" as a credible argument? I seem to remember that popularity was never a priority for U2 fans, or am I wrong? Did Bono realy change us so much with that "biggest band..." thing that nowdays it's relevant to be popular? I'm not saying that it is a negative thing, but is it realy important?
If it is than we have to compare U2 to Justin Timberlake, Limp Bizkit or any other artist that shoots for No.1. spot on billboard album chart and who shoots for 1m sales in the first week...
If that is the case than I'm dissapointed in U2 fans and not U2 itself... at least U2 were conciderd alternative once...

On other side - DMB can realy suit me sometimes...sometimes they don't work for me, but than I can play "Don't drink the water" (live version) and they realy kick ass....

DMB's fun to see and listen to and I love how many shows they put out through their website, but they're best songs aren't as good as most U2 B-sides, and I'm a DMB fan, maybe they could make some songs that were slightly better if they didn't toour as much, but then it wouldn't be as fun.

The band with the best site though is Pearl Jam with access to every one of their concerts since 2003, and they're available like the day after the show.

big DMB fan, but I am afraid they are not trendsetters...

no one upmanship here!

Back
Top Bottom