DMB continues to one up U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't agree with the idea that DMB are 'one-upping' U2...however, I must say, I don't understand how DMB could release a Best Of without 'Ants Marching' on it.

If they made music as good as U2 id consider this to be an arguement that is true but they make substandard boring melodies and just because they are touring all the time doesnt mean anything because they should spend more time in the studio writing some good music for once. Never seen a band that was over rated as much as them in my own opinion.

We're talking about two totally different styles of music here. DMB's "Under The Table And Dreaming" rules my ass, and the two albums that followed it are pretty good too. After that, everything pretty much sux IMO. U2 have become better songwriters and musicians with each passing album (save The Bomb), while DMB have become better at playing yet worse when it comes to actual songwriting. Verdict: U2 wins, then again they been around much longer. Actually, here's the real verdict: Who cares? Listen to both bands, or maybe just one, or neither of them. It's your choice. I like 'em both. U2 a whole lot more tho.

Snowlock said:
Haven't liked this band since 1994, but the GF's a fanatic. DMB's premium website totally rocks, they put out quality (at least considered so by their fans) albums & DVD's regularily and constantly tour. Now, even their best of is done better than U2's:

DMB Comes 'Around' With Hits, Live Tracks

October 12, 2006, 3:20 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Dave Matthews Band's first retrospective, "Best of What's Around Volume 1," will arrive Nov. 7 via RCA. As previously reported, the two-disc features rare live tracks selected by fans in addition to familiar hits like "Crash," "The Space Between" and "What Would You Say?"

Here is the track list for "Best of What's Around":

Disc one:
"Best of What's Around"
"What Would You Say?"
"Crash Into Me"
"Too Much"
"Rapunzel"
"Crush"
"So Right"
"The Space Between"
"Grey Street"
"Grace Is Gone"
"Hunger for the Great Light"
"American Baby"

Disc two (live):

"Don't Drink the Water" (West Palm Beach, Fla., 2005)
"Warehouse" (Alpine Valley, Wis., 2006)
"Say Goodbye" (Denver, 2000)
"Stay (Wasting Time)" (Selma, Texas, 2003)
"Everyday" (Saratoga Springs, N.Y., 2006)
"Louisiana Bayou" (Selma, Texas, 2005)
"Ants Marching" (Sydney, 2005)
"Two Step" (East Rutherford, N.J., 2001)
----

At least we get two new songs, but I would trade those for DMB's level of album output.

If U2 did the exact same thing, there would be endless complaining.

First, even with a poll, fans would be tearing each other apart, wondering how song X could appear over song Y or how the 1992 performance was oceans better than the 1997 performance or some other such nonsense.

In other words, this could never work for U2

I'm not sure how DMB's fans are - but it wouldn't surprise me if there is some of that type of argument occurring at various DMB fan websites. But I know it would happen here. U2 fans argue about the order of songs, why an a-side was included over a b-side, how one performance is better than another and on and on and on and on and on!

"U218" is about the best U2 can offer. It gives the casual fan a good dose of big hit songs from the past 26 years, it gives new fans some new songs and it gives the die-hards the Milan DVD (or CD - depending on which report you read). For a "Best Of", this is about the best it really can be for U2 fans (and still be affordable).

Marko said:

In relation to the quote:
You never heard of them, but then you go on and comment the songs ??? How is it possible...

If you go back and read my quote I said that "I can honestly say I have never heard anything they've ever done" meaning their songs. I was then given suggestions of some of their more popular material and I then went and listened to snippets of those songs on Amazon, then I came back and commented on what I had heard. Capiche??

Last edited:
ozeeko said:
Actually, here's the real verdict: Who cares? Listen to both bands, or maybe just one, or neither of them. It's your choice. I like 'em both. U2 a whole lot more tho.

Amen to that.

U2FloridaFan said:

If you go back and read my quote I said that "I can honestly say I have never heard anything they've ever done" meaning their songs. I was then given suggestions of some of their more popular material and I then went and listened to snippets of those songs on Amazon, then I came back and commented on what I had heard. Capiche??

yeah...snippets...good to know that it's not even a whole song...but I understand

Back
Top Bottom