DJ REFUSING to play Vertigo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyChicken

Acrobat

The Big Kahuna, (DJ of The Fat 30 count down on the SeaFM Radio Network in Australia) is in trouble with his program manager for REFUSING to play Vertigo!

He thinks the song is "too old" - whatever that's suppose to mean?

But the decision is up to the listeners, so he HAS to play it once and get their opinions. So, on Friday evening, 1st of October sometime after 7:00PM (Australian Eastern Standard time GMT+10) he'll be playing Vertigo.

Vertigo won't make the playlist if it gets over 3 negative responses.
I have no idea if the calls are screened and selected before airing, so it might be rigged anyway. I.e. Kuhuna only airs negative callers regardless of any positive callers.

I'm not sure how many people to listen this network, and personally I don't care if they play Vertigo or not. But if anyone from Australia (or anywhere else) does, then Friday evening would be a good night to blitz that radio station.

http://www.fat30.com/

bigkahuna@fat30.com

1300 369 099

So, there's a negative reaction to Vertigo if you ever wanted one.

Disclaimer. And yes I like to format my posts. That's what its there for. Formatting is my life. I format lots of things. Its good for laying things out and making them look nice and pretty. Not that I see a problem with it, but some people on other bulletin boards complain about it. If that's a problem then disable my ability to use formatting. That'll stop me...

tw@t
(not you, the DJ!)

:D:

one of my favourite DJs in south africa did that once and almost lost his job after he snapped a CD live on air... 3 times!
except in his case it was acceptable... the song was Aqua's Barbie Girl

not quite the same thing really!

Ha ha, man, how petty is that! he'd obviously prefer to hear Britneys version of 'My Prerogative' I say let him get on with it. U2 obviosuly ain't 'hip' enough for him! There's plenty of other stations that'll play it. He's just drumming up publicity for himself.

This is what pisses me off about radio. The song sounds fresher than ANYTHING thats out there and if it was made by U2 in their mid twenties these so called Radio stations would be raving about it saying it was the best thing since sliced bread!!! WAN#ERS!!!:mad:

Let's try and not get too wound up about this. These things will happen more and more in the future, some radio stations will drop them from their play lists purely for their age, not the quality of the material. The mainstream music business is extremely ageist. It's not a reflection on the song, it's just the nature of the mainstream beast. Youthfulness = good music, that's the way the mainstream see's it. Let's not try and rise to this one, there's no need too.

That DJ is a Wanker. You have to give people the goods before they judge if they like it or not. One listen is not enough for anything. I admit I thought Vertigo was rocking but pretty thin at the surface the first time I listened to it.. but its grown on me like any other U2 song.

:shrug: let the DJ play what he wants to play... if he doesn't want to play the song, then he shouldn't be forced to play the song. it's actually refreshing to hear that a DJ is taking control of his playlist rather than just being ordered to play certain songs by his program director. even though i disagree with his musical tastes, :up: for taking a stand.

What is the station like anyway? I know of a few lame stations I would rather NOT play Vertigo.

Maybe if Australian DJ's refuse to play U2's music, U2 may decide not to tour Australia after all. :eyebrow:

bsp77 said:
What is the station like anyway? I know of a few lame stations I would rather NOT play Vertigo.

Its more than one radio station. Its a network of regional radio stations, so each has their own local programming as well as centralised programming.

I can't speak for all of them as I haven't heard them, but the general attitude is they seem to be more excited about Destiny's Child's new single.

Though they generally play music from the 80's, 90's and recent.

Strangely enough the DJ also said "Electrical Storm" would undoubtedbly become a big hit (when it was first released). Though it didn't seem to live up to chart expectations so maybe he's a bit sore from that.

staring_at_the_moon said:

Its more than one radio station. Its a network of regional radio stations, so each has their own local programming as well as centralised programming.

I can't speak for all of them as I haven't heard them, but the general attitude is they seem to be more excited about Destiny's Child's new single.

Though they generally play music from the 80's, 90's and recent.

Strangely enough the DJ also said "Electrical Storm" would undoubtedbly become a big hit (when it was first released). Though it didn't seem to live up to chart expectations so maybe he's a bit sore from that.

That DJ is a moron... even I could have told him Electrical Storm wasn't going to be a big hit...

Back
Top Bottom