Discotheque Vs. Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Do you prefer swinging to the music or going to the disco? Please don't use an album or era bias to make up your mind. I'd like to think that there's no Pop bias here when I say that I prefer Discotheque. It's got your amazing guitar intro, totally catchy and danceable lines like 'go go...ha ha ha... discotheque', that rush of music when the line 'looking for the one' kicks in and of course the almighty boom chas, horns and what not. On the other hand, even though I do like Vertigo, it's more bouncy pop-rock than balls-out rocker. I say more power to loud guitars. Besides the 'just gimme what I want...' line and the yeah yeahs never did it for me.

typhoon said:
BOOM-CHA.

Good call!

By the way, I chose these 2 songs because they're both explosive openers to 2 recent albums. I love Beautiful Day but it doesn't have the same impact.

Vertigo is a louder, rougher song than Discotheque I'd say, and both have strong pop elements..they're both about on a par for me.

I'd go for discotheque too. It's smooth where Vertigo is more rough. I like rough too...loud guitars and such. But Vertigo doesn't sound rough enough to me. It's more pop rock. And I don't like the yeah yeahs in Vertigo that much too. But I don't have a thing against the "just gimme what I want..." line. I think that's just cool.:rockon:

Vertigo, no fucking contest, please. :rockon: Boomchas were so dumb :tsk:

Last edited:
Boom cha?
Boom cha?
Boooooom cha.

Bono falsetto/Edge guitar in Discotheque's refrain >>>>> entire Vertigo song.

Vertigo.

Discotheque is a good song, until the ultimate in cheese: "Boom Cha." One of U2's lowest moments. One of rock's lowest moments.

MrBrau1 said:
Vertigo.

Discotheque is a good song, until the ultimate in cheese: "Boom Cha." One of U2's lowest moments. One of rock's lowest moments.

It was the ultimate embarrassment of their career, like getting your pic taken with a lampshade at a company party :tsk: This question would be an absolute joke anywhere but on this forum. Vertigo rocks.

I love Discotheque. I love the Boomchas, I love U2 not giving shit about what fans think and just having fun playing on their images. However I think Vertigo is a better song. There is a primal power in it thats not in Discotheque. The lyrics aren't as good, but for the type of song Vertigo is they are not supposed to be. When Edge's guitar cuts out and Adam and Larry are left carrying the song, it just has to be one of the most rocking moments in U2 history.

If this question was an absolute joke, why does the scoreboard (so far) look like this?

DISCOTHEQUE
typhoon
adam's baby
flangerchorus
ponkine
mads
DprinceNY
djerdap
canadiens
rooster
myself................10

VERTIGO
aaron
u2kitten
mrbrau1
rooster..........4

BOTH/TIED
sleep over jack........1

Sorry for abreviating some of your names, by the way. :wink:

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
If this question was an absolute joke, why does the scoreboard (so far) look like this?

DISCOTHEQUE VERTIGO BOTH/TIED
typhoon aaron sleep over jack
adam's baby u2kitten
flangerchorus mrbrau1
ponkine rooster
mads
DprinceNY
djerdap
canadiens
rooster
myself

Sorry for abreviating all your names, by the way. :wink:

What?

Definitely Vertigo. I like Discotheque okay but yeah... Vertigo, hands down.

The only time I really listen to Discotheque is when I'm watching the music video. LOL. And while I agree the "boomchas" were incredibly cheesy, I think that was the entire point.

Why do people hate the Boom-Chas so much, I love them. :hmm:

I think Discotheque's riff is better, it's more original but I think I might like Vertigo as a whole more. But I could be wrong, it's hard to decide. :shifty:

MrBrau1 said:
Useless Cliff Clavin factiod: The main guitar riff in Discotheque was recorded with an acoustic guitar.

Really? That's interesting. :hmm: It sounds like an electric guitar to me. I'll isten to it again to see if I hear an acoustic guitar there. I know that Edge came up with Last Night On Earth's riff with an acoustic guitar maybe he also came up with the Discotheque riff with an the acoustic guitar.

Back
Top Bottom