Discotheque Vs. Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheBrazilianFly said:

Really? That's interesting. :hmm: It sounds like an electric guitar to me. I'll isten to it again to see if I hear an acoustic guitar there. I know that Edge came up with Last Night On Earth's riff with an acoustic guitar maybe he also came up with the Discotheque riff with an the acoustic guitar.

You won't hear a typical acoustic guitar. The main riff was played on an acoustic guitar, run through an overdrive pedal and god knows what else to give it it's unique sound.

i liked vertigo more when it was first called elevation.

oh wait, no, i hated elevation.

discotheque is one of my favourite u2 songs.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

It was the ultimate embarrassment of their career, like getting your pic taken with a lampshade at a company party :tsk: This question would be an absolute joke anywhere but on this forum. Vertigo rocks.

um, no.

i really don't know how you ever survived the 90's.

perhaps with a little help from matthew sweet, third eye blind, and collin james?

Discotheque (New Mix)

The POP version was rough and unfinished and was total trash.

The Best Of 1990-2000 version realizes Discotheque's potential as being right up there with One, Bad and Where The Streets Have No Name in the list of immortal U2 songs.

The new mix of Discotheque is the bomb which U2 are trying to dismantle with Vertigo.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Discotheque (New Mix)

The Best Of 1990-2000 version realizes Discotheque's potential as being right up there with One, Bad and Where The Streets Have No Name in the list of immortal U2 songs.

Cheers,

J

I strongly disagree with that statement, J. The LP version is nothing more than a good song, while the Best of version without the Boom Chas is an improvement on the LP version, yet it is nowhere near the immortal list of songs you have mentioned.

jick said:
Discotheque (New Mix)

The POP version was rough and unfinished and was total trash.

I couldn´t disagree more :shame: "Best of" 1990-2000 version is just a stupid attempt at mainstream radio hit rock for silly radio airplays :mad: while the original version is just awesome because it´s something out-of-body, brand new, different, Addictive, provocative, innovative, aggressive, fresh, creative, coarse, shameless, attractive, modern, irresistible, etc. :drool: :bow: :rockon: :bump: :up: :heart:

The same thing happen with Vertigo v/s Discotheque. Vertigo is just the typical 3 minutes long silly empty radio hit ( hit and miss ) number ( a copy/ paste job from Elevation ), plus a pointless "spectacular" video like the ones of MTV with millions of childish "special effects" to make the song even more Hit and Miss :( .

Boom Cha... :lol:

jick said:
The new mix of Discotheque is the bomb which U2 are trying to dismantle with Vertigo.

Cheers,

J

That's probably the worst try of making the sentence with u2 album/song/whatever.

Even though Discotheque cannot be compared to classics like One, Streets and Bad which are definitely superior, I still prefer it slightly to Vertigo, pretty much just for the fuck-all, couldn't-care-less attitude that they had throughout the Pop era, not to mention in the kick ass video for this single.

So... Streets/One/Bad > Discotheque > Vertigo......... I think.

DPrinceNY said:
Hmm so does Boom-Chaa actualy mean anything??

I wouldn't think it means anything per se but I would like to know if it's a reference to anything. Apart from YMCA, I don't know anything about the village people and so I'm wondering... it's not some reference to them, is it? Why are the boom chas looked at with such disgust by some people here? They were just having fun, right? Or is there a deeper meaning? :huh:

TheBrazilianFly said:

Really? That's interesting. :hmm: It sounds like an electric guitar to me. I'll isten to it again to see if I hear an acoustic guitar there. I know that Edge came up with Last Night On Earth's riff with an acoustic guitar maybe he also came up with the Discotheque riff with an the acoustic guitar.
You can have anything sound like anything else (with a few exceptions) really, it's the studio.

Both are nothing more than ok songs.
Discotheque's riff always reminds me of The Fly's.

Last edited:
Let me think for a moment...

- one cool riff VS. another cool one,
- great bass from Adam VS. another great bass from Adam
- a "slow down" break made in the mood of the 80's (Discotheque) VS. a "slow down" break made in the mood of the 90's (Vertigo)
(and finaly, an argument for those complaining about "boom-chaas")
- "Boom-Chaa" VS. "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah..."

Well, since probably it took more time for Bono to write "Boom-Chaa" than "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah..."
...and as a "true fan" you should adore the 80's or else you're a stupid 90's forshipper (etc)...
I must say i vote for "Discotheque" here, but "Vertigo" is very close!

Last edited:
There was a time when Discotheque was the most reviled song in the U2 catalogue. It's nice to see that people can recognize its merits now.

Having said that Vertigo is the better song. For me the ultimate test of Discotheque's quality was its live presentation. And it wasn't a show stopper live. It was a "go get a beer and popcorn" song unfortunately. Disco was a studio recording and U2 could never make it work that well live. It's one of the few U2 songs that are much better on the album than they are in concert.

Vertigo on the other hand looses nothing live. In fact it will probably be a highlight of the new show.

Soooo....Let's go Vertigo

p.s.- The only thing wrong with the best of version is the lack of the boom cha's. I love the boom cha's.
p.p.s.- Oh, and they should have left in the "I can't get in, I paid not enough" line as well.

Matthew_Page2000 said:

Vertigo on the other hand looses nothing live. In fact it will probably be a highlight of the new show.

Soooo....Let's go Vertigo

You don't know how Vertigo is going to do live, though!

Back
Top Bottom