Discotheque: The Greatness of POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Discotheque is a great song. Best of version is a complete utter bullshit. And I always thought it wasn't so great live. It's like it had no ending and Bono just dragged on in the last minute.

I like Discotheque alot, but the lyrics make me cringe so much. As for the video..... well, it's not failed yet at cheering me up when I feel down. I wouldn't agree that it's 'the' song of 'Pop', but a close second to Gone.

I wish that they could play more Pop's up-tempo stuff on next tour (discotheque, mofo, lnoe, gone and miami, yeah miami- their all worked really great live). When I first heard discotheque I hated it. I was not listening to it for about 1 year and then suddenly I fell in love with it. Now it's my TOP10 or even TOP5 song of all time.

martha said:
Discotheque is a great driving song. Your ears start to bleed from the volume, your foot smashes down on the pedal, and your eyes are glued to the rearview, waiting for the fuzz to bust your ass for 40 miles over whatever limit there might have been when the song came on. :up:

Discotheque and driving on an open highway. :faint:

:lmao: I just spewed Coke all over my monitor.

I must admit, I quite like Justin Timberlake's stuff. When I first heard Senorita, I didn't know who it was, and thought it was really funky and different. I was amazed when I found out it was Justin - I couldn't bear N'Sync.

The Best Of version of Discotheque is awful IMO!

AtomicBono said:
A-fucking-men.

Let me tell you my Discotheque story. There I was, 9 years old, and my mom wants to put in this CD she got by some band called U2.

9?!?!!? I was 19!:(

Last edited:
"The" song from Pop, for me, is Mofo... The song sounds like some oily machinary trying to drill its way through rock trying to get to the surface from underground :drool:

Just for the record, Discotheque is also a very, very good song.

I agree with the comment on including more Pop songs on next tour! Especially Mofo and Discotheque :)

Discotheque is a decent tune that is representative of the POP album, so if you really love POP then Discotheque would really be "THE" song for you.

But if you listen to the much improved version of Discotheque in the Best Of 1990-2000 collection, you will realize its true potential and beauty. The Best Of really shows the greatness of what U2 had originally intended but did not really implement due to lack of time.

Cheers,

J

thanks for reminding me about the Discotheque (new Mix) hadn't listened to that in a long time...but the greatness of Pop was clearly defined in Do You Feel Loved...regardless of how good Disco, Last Night, Please and Staring are.

To add to the discussion, I prefer the CD Single mix of Please to the original, no matter how good that already is. I think we should just accept that working on a record for 2 years (or 5 years on some songs) does not guarantee them being perfect. But at a certain point they have to let go of it and get it released.

As for the critics' reception of Pop...who listens to those anyway, make up your own mind.

Zoomerang96 said:
...and if you think justin timberlake sucks, i'd like to see you put out a record that's any better. you, or anyone else in his genre.

Hey, I don't have the talent to put out an Ashlee Simpson record. But she still sucks...and so does Justin Timberlake.
I HATE white soul and white r&b. And lately I've started to hate black soul and black r&b. I don't care how popular it is. The current crop of r&b artists (regardless of their innate talent) sound like they're taking a dump on the legacy of the great 60's and 70's artists.

I enjoy listening to Discothèque. The one I like the most is the radio edit single version where Larry is tapping the drums. I find that the intro has a much stronger opening than the album version. I also think the best of 90s version is great too with its rumbling bass and Bono using his “fat lady voice” I guess I am one of the few that didn’t care for the boom-cha part.

If they would have been able to put it on the shelf and let it ferment like jackknife lee said I think it could have come out like this

h**p://www.auracom.com/u2fly/Discotheque_Train_Mix

you have to add the

Last edited:
The BOOM CHA's are where its at, behind the couch, on the floor, outside it's cold, outside it's cold.........

Discotheque is such a cool rocking tune. Only U2 can get away with writing a song like Discotheque. ALso, the live version is so sweet and Larry is bloody awesome playing it live.

I tottaly agree with leaf nation!!! I'm with you... What a wrong name for a rock album! And it sounds too...empty too... However, Pop is not one of my favourite albums but is a great album... The guys got excellent stuff there... The pression of their majors for the producing and the excess of syntethizers/distortions in some songs as the name and the marketing, made the flop of the album... I don't think it sucks... Zooropa is even more weird and "U2-less" than Pop... And some songs sound like... "we didn't have time to finish it, so we put electronics to sound better"... But I still think that they got there very good stuff (it is proved in their live performances...).

deltau922 said:
All songs and albums should "suck" as bad as Discotheque/Pop.

Amen to that! Pop, I think, is my favourite album made by anyone, ever. I love every U2 album and I don't believe they've ever come out with crap, but Pop tops it all... the dark techno-rock atmosphere... pure rock 'n roll hiding behind electro-fuzz... brilliance. Every song on that album is classic for me, except maybe The Playboy Mansion (yes, I do like Miami. It's a fun little rock song. I don't understand everyone's problem with it.) Fact is, Pop shaped my childhood, and I'll probably still be listening to it when I'm 90 (assuming I live that long :p). And while I do in many ways think Achtung Baby is U2's best album, I never would have listened to it if not for Pop...I would be a completely different person if not for Pop, hell, if not for Discotheque. I know that sounds dumb, but music is a huge part of my life...especially U2. :p

Now, why do I love Discotheque, besides the fact that it got me into U2? For starters, the riff is one of Edge's best. You cannot deny the sheer awesomeness of the Discotheque riff. I actually like the lyrics (especially "you're looking for the one/but you know you're somewhere else instead/you wanna be the song/be the song that you hear in your head"). I love how beautifully constructed the song is...so many different parts. Edge's guitar during the "bridges" so to speak is beautiful. The band is dynamic and in top form... Bono starts off low and by the end goes into his fat lady falsetto (when I was a kid I thought the 'ahs' right before the boomchas was actually a woman's voice :laugh: ). Adam's bassline is badass. Larry's drums are spot-on. The techno sound effects just add to the dark dance atmosphere... and the boom-chas are pure fun. If there's one thing wrong with the Best Of mix, it's the lack of boom-chas. Boom-chas are required in such a song... it's just not right otherwise.

Don't change Discotheque...don't change Pop. The album is perfect in its imperfect state. I wish U2 would put out "unfinished" albums more often, because never have I heard such a complete piece of work.

Back
Top Bottom