disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
face it .. we all will never know the reasons for their not appearing at this event.. So let's just leave it at that.. It's really not worth speculating over frankly. We could go on and on about what the reasons could of been. But where does that get us? Wasted time and energy.
For me, it didn't even cross my mind about why they weren't on. I just enjoyed the performances. I was there for the music. And yes, I totally understand the message being brought to our attention. And I am very concerned about what we are doing to our planet. But the concern lies with these big corporations/and certain countries that are killing out atmosphere with their pollutants that we should be really doing something about. If they keep doing what they are doing what does it help if we do our part at home individually. It seems they are just about cancelling out what we all are doing.. IMO...that's all. Just a thought..

Is anyone here surprised REM didn't show up? They played Live 8. :huh: REM have an image as being very concerned environmentalists. :hmm:

Michael Stipe stopped recycling years ago and now throws his empty beer cans at passing cars, laughing from his porch.

LemonMelon said:
Is anyone here surprised REM didn't show up? They played Live 8. :huh: REM have an image as being very concerned environmentalists. :hmm:

Radiohead dude

Radiohead ...Thom is always talking bout climate change..he's the poster boy :tsk:

LemonMelon said:

Well, you could say the same for U2.

Maybe they didn't feel like it. :shrug:

corianderstem said:
Michael Stipe stopped recycling years ago and now throws his empty beer cans at passing cars, laughing from his porch.

Does he shoot as opossums as well? :hyper:

Of course! He's taken up taxidermy as a hobby, and his decor mainly consists of 'possums.

corianderstem said:

I do it all the time, mixing in empty glass bottles of whiskey for the SUVs. You know, cause they're bad for the environment. Bastards. :madspit:

It would be nice (given their history of supporting Greenpeace or the Sellafield campaign), but it's not the end of the world either way.

And I'll take the "they didn't want to interrupt recording of the new album" theory over pissing of the Clintons or fear of BonoEgo accusations.

corianderstem said:

They didn't play the Concert For Diana, and no one accused them of not caring about her.

umm actually no irish or scottish bands played by what i seen. like tom Jones played 'i bet you look good on the dance floor' why didn't the arctic monkeys play it?? they're scottish. it was all British and amarican bands. i think the British have a problem with the irish and scottish. and don't tell me im wrong ive been there. and when i told someone i was going to Scotland and ireland they imidetly said why go there its a scum hole. so i don't think its u2s fault they didn't play.

and on global warming. i don't drive my friends think im crazy but i don't wanna get fried by the freaking sun and I'm doing my part not to. i think we all need to step back. not drive our huge SUVS and our hummers. look at our millions and billions of pollution problems and do something. i think the global warming gig was an amazing idea. it got people thinking. i think something needs to change people need to see whats happening. ive noticed so much change living up north and going up more into a northern Canada. just because you may not live in the north doesn't mean its not affecting you. and yes i am a supporter of the Kyoto Protocol. and u2 not playing i could careless..so what they didn't want to..other artist (most were crappy anyways) did and took action. who cares if they sucked or weren't u2. they're trying to change this place. also i think saving the earth is more important then saving African children so sue me!

love_u2_adam said:

umm actually no irish or scottish bands played by what i seen. like tom Jones played 'i bet you look good on the dance floor' why didn't the arctic monkeys play it?? they're scottish. it was all British and amarican bands. i think the British have a problem with the irish and scottish. and don't tell me im wrong ive been there. and when i told someone i was going to Scotland and ireland they imidetly said why go there its a scum hole. so i don't think its u2s fault they didn't play.

well...snow patrol is irish/scottish, damien rice is irish, paolo nutini is scottish, I'm sure there has to be more, besides this was organized by Al Gore not the british, at least I think so...

as for Arctic Monkeys although they weren't invited..
Arctic Monkeys, who were not invited to play, said that they would have refused to play at the Wembley Stadium Live Earth show. Drummer Matt Helders says, "It's a bit patronizing for us 21-year-olds to try to start to change the world, especially when we're using enough power for 10 houses just for stage lighting. It would be a bit hypocritical."[37]

I think the reason why they didn't do it, it's because people might start not taking them so seriously anymore or not even listen to their causes anymore if they show up on every concert for important global issues. As important as this one is.

I only brought up the Concert For Diana as a slight eye-rolling response to the clamor over why U2 didn't play yesterday.

I wasn't posing a serious question to that one. :wink:

it surprises me that a few folks are complaining about u2's lack off appearance at this gig. if they did it then some would complain about them sacrificing time they need to spend on recording the new material. they didn't do it and some are complaining that they're favorite poster boys for world tragedy doesn't seem to care.
shut the fuck and licten to the joshua tree people, or whatever album stokes your fires.

love_u2_adam said:

Really? Some English people have hard feelings towards the Irish/Scottish and vice versa?

:hmm: Well, I've never, ever heard of that. :shrug:

:wink: :hi5:

bono: "hey we're u2 and we're glad to be here at......................edge's what's this gig called again?

edge: " hell if i know. another bunch off your tree hugging hippie freinds got together and threw this shindig."

bono: " yeah.............uuuummmm...............well we're gald to be here and this is refugee, because we're all refugees on this earth.
---------------------------------------------------
meanwhile u2 fans group-A mumbles: " bloody bastrads, the album going to be pushed back another couple off moths beacuase of this shit gig.......................yeah bono save the earth...........................bleeding wanker.
-------------------------------------------------------
meanwhile u2 fans group-B: " save the earth, BEAUTIFUL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

saw an article that said they and Geldof didn't want to sow confusion between Live 8 and Live Earth. I imagine they'd consider playing the sequel if there is one... that and their recording schedule, as previoulsy mentioned... on that note- is there any new news out of Morocco? (or elsewhere?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom