Dirty Boots and Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickypiemcg

The Fly
I read some reviews of Vertigo and they said that U2 had ripped off "Dirty Boots" by Sonic Youth. I listened to "Dirty Boots" and I can't hear what they're supposed to have ripped off. The only similarities were that both choruses use the same chord progression but that is hardly ripping off (it's a pretty common chord progression). Just wondering if anybody else had heard this?

yeah, I don't know what they're talking about. That's from Rolling Stone right? they just wanted to name drop Sonic Youth. You know they say that Pearl Jam's "Given to Fly" sounds like Led Zep's "Going to California" and I don't hear that either.

elevation622 said:
You know they say that Pearl Jam's "Given to Fly" sounds like Led Zep's "Going to California" and I don't hear that either.

You can't hear that one? Even Pearl Jam has admitted it's obvious and introduced the song as a Led Zeppelin song once when Plant was in the audience.

I read it in Rolling Stone first but Q Magazine in the UK said it too. I guess they assumed Rolling Stone must have it right and didn't bother with research..tut tut

The Dirty Boots comparison is a load of sh*t. I downloaded it to see if there was any similarity but i can't see any. these music hacks are just jealous cos edge came up with a great riff of his own:mad:

sonic youth just played here at Penn .... not much to rip off from them ... almost no one showed up to see them, it was a joke

elevation622 said:
yeah, i'm a loser, what can i say
I'm supposed to be workin instead I've doubled my posts today. I'm livin in this forum today
No, you're not a loser. I thought you were making a joke because Vertigo and Native ARE the same song just different lyrics. I thought you were being sarcastic.:reject:

Dirty Boots and Vertigo have no similarity whatsoever.
Given To Fly and Going To California have very similar singing during the verses, but when Given To Fly reaches to a chorus, it's a totally different song.

Back
Top Bottom