Different mix of The Hands That Built America played on VH1 movie special.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Different mix of The Hands That Built America played on VH1 movie special.

They had a movie special on Gangs of New York, and at the end credits they played Hands, but it wasn't the Best of Hands that we all know, it was a more "irish-esque" mix, with the bagpipes and all that normal celtic stuff... it was absolutely beautiful. anyone hear of anythign about a new mix for the soundtrack or something? hmmmm...

it was on @ 11:30 eastern time... and i did some more research. if you go to bestbuy.com they have small clips of each track on the gangs soundtrack... they have the chorus from hands, and it is a more stripped version than the one that's been floating on the internet and on the best of... take a look... i really think that the soundtrack version is a different version than the best of version... i guess we'll find out for sure soon seeing as the soundtrack comes out today, december 17th... a new mix of a u2 song comes out and none of the fan sites even knew about it? sheesh you guys are slipping ;)

Best Buy's Gangs Of New York page

the clips deffinetly has a different feel to it... more noticable violins, piano, guitar... much more raw than the best of recording... not as overproduced... what i've heard of it is really beautiful... i think this is the track we were expecting when we first heard the clip way back in the summer... i'm pumped now:hyper:

Last edited:
I really think it could be a great song if they kept William Orbit the hell away from it, so I can't wait to hear a better mix of it.

What I really noticed about this new mix is how up front the piano is. The 30 second clip sounds better than the 30 seconds off the Best Of. I might have to buy this one.

If somebody gets the soundtrack, please let us know if it is a different mix bc I'll definitely get it if it's different than the Best Of or perhaps this will be the mix that's on one of the singles released in Feb. 2003. What's a guy to do???

zoocarolina said:
If somebody gets the soundtrack, please let us know if it is a different mix bc I'll definitely get it if it's different than the Best Of or perhaps this will be the mix that's on one of the singles released in Feb. 2003. What's a guy to do???

It was reported in www.u2tours.de about a month ago that the version of the song in the soundtrack will be diferent from the one in the Best Of.

I happened to catch the show last night. I hadn't seen any of these reports, so I decided to just watch it because I thought there might be a chance of something U2ey on there. :tongue: I heard the clip they played.. it was good! I am still not very crazy about Hands but this mix was a lot better. I can't wait to hear the whole thing. :)

Holy s***!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I am so geeked!!! I watched about half the special last night before my brother changed the channel, I had a feeling they would play the song, but I had only dreamt that it would be a new version!

So I went out and spent $14 for the cd, lol the only artist I know on there is Peter Gabriel so i don't know how well it will end up selling.....

BUT - holy cow this is about as perfect a version as they can get. I'll try to figure out how to upload this to Sicy's ftp, no promises cuz this is a super slow connection.

Sooooooo beautiful - my beef with the original was that I really didn't care for the xylophone, and I didn't really like the distorted opera segment. The video on the Best of was nice in that the opera portion sounded more like Bono, didn't have the weird mixing, but there were a few flat notes in the video. *This* one has the flat notes out, undistorted opers segment, wayyyyyyy less xylophone (much more subtle), and wayyyyyyyy more violins :up:

The other cool thing is, according to the cd sleeve, Andrea and Sharon Corr contributed to this version. Says "Sharon Corr on violin, Andrea Corr on Tin Whistle". Says produced by Edge, engineered and mixed by Carl Glanville, String arrangement by Edge.......

I know they plan to release this as a single in February, but I'm glad I didn't wait - I have COMPLETELY fallen in love with this song all over again!!!!!!!!

Flargh

Well, after fighting with this darn thing for 4+ hours, I have come to realize that I have just bought my first copy-protected cd. Which means I can't even play the friggin song on my computer, much less upload it. :madspit:

Yes, I tried the silly color-the-edge-with-black-marker trick, and it still wouldn't work. It'll still play on a regular cd player, but no go on the compy. Sorry all, someone more tech-savvy than I will have to figure this one out. Or you can be silly like me and go out and spend $14.83 for one song.

But I still think it was worth it, just wish I could share :hug:

Sorry :sad:

There are always ways around copy protection, including an analog recording taken from a CD player and hooking it up to the computer. Only a negligable difference in quality.

I have never done it myself.

Melon

I was surprised that the Best of 1990-2000 had no copy-protection. I read a couple years ago on YouTwo.net that Universal was going to start using some method on all of their CDs by sometime.

Of course, it's silly for a record company to plan any type of copy-protection long-term when it'll be cracked in a week anyway. :) I'm really tired of being treated like a criminal for just wanting to make back-ups I don't even distribute, though, so I never buy copy-protected CDs.

Roland of Gilead said:
*Jusy got happily sucked into buying the soundtrack!*

Don't try and sell my something else BLS! ;)

Wow, I didn't know I was such a saleswoman, LOL!

Hope I didn't sound a false alarm w/ the copy-protected thing, I actually don't know now if that's what I had, my bro-in-law says he was having problems making any copies on his computer earlier in the week. But I already colored it, and it works now in my comp., so I dunno. It should be up on Sicy's ftp tonight (thanks for your help Ellen :wave: )

*copy paste from the other thread*

:wave: No problem, Beth.

It's on Sicy's FTP in the uploads folder for now (I hope that's okay, Sicy :wave: ) but if you don't know how/can't get to that, I can AIM it to you if you want. I'm LightMyWay02, and I've got cable internet until I go home tomorrow, so anyone who wants it, let me know.

You cant download from the uploads folder.

I moved it to the New Stuff folder :wave:

hallelujah, i can actually access sicy's ftp now after all these years.

Back
Top Bottom