Did the "Best Of" and ATYCLB "Save" U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by u2utah:
Interesting discussion. I just read the article below on youtwo.net and thought it might shed some light on the subject (or not)
biggrin.gif

It is an interesting article. I've been impressed with the marketing campaign for this album (even though I was majorly irked by the Best Buy and Target deals for various reasons). It is impressive how they've been able to reach a young audience with each record, although I think it's more the college kids rather than the teens who've come on board.

Thanks for the article, Utah. That is excellent and it explains some of the marketing ideas that I have been wondering about for quite some time regarding ATYCLB.

However, I still think some of these marketing ideas are a little shady and make U2 look somewhat hypocritical.

The album is great, the music gets better and better and they still do it on their own unlike a band like Aerosmith who looked like buffoons as they pandered to the crowd at the Super Bowl by performing w/N Shit and others and placing movie stars like Silverstone in their videos(no, the Tomb Raider video is not the same idea, it is for a movie; although that was silly as well)

I think BD and Walk On were the only good videos from ATYCLB...but the songs are fantastic for all of them...I sense a serious thread about to explode here.

...Shit, if Bon Jovi still has a major label deal, I think U2 can fart on their next record and Interscope will still put it out.

LOL, LOL, LOL....

In the financial world that makes the lights go on and gives us food on our table, U2 are a business. Basic fact. And it's not fun or fuzzy-feeling to think of it like that, but they ARE a business in the world that we live in. So yes, to survive, they have to produce good albums. (although lol @ mbh's remark.. this should be another indication that the reason U2 do make the music they make is for themselves and for us, NOT for the Businessess.)

However, I don't think that they were in any danger of being dropped. No danger at all. (And if they were for some lame brain reason, I don't doubt they'd have no trouble finding another record label.) Therefore ATYCLB didn't "save" U2, because they didn't really "need" saving. It did, however, boost people's confidence that they were still big and marketable and moneymakers for them. In the businessworld, this is a very good thing.

My views on the whole TV shows and stuff: The media plays U2, and U2 plays them. It's a means to an end, and even if it's sort of an uncomfortable means, I enjoy their end much more than Radioheads or REM, who won't do go out and "sell themselves."

------------------
Well you can bump and grind If it's good for your mind
Well you can twist and shout Let it all hang out
But you won't fool the children of the revolution

U2 Take Me Higher

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 03-27-2002).]

Originally posted by MBH:
...Shit, if Bon Jovi still has a major label deal, I think U2 can fart on their next record and Interscope will still put it out.

LOL, LOL, LOL....

LOL
biggrin.gif

Actually, Bon Jovi is still extremely popular in Europe and Asia.

MBH I agree with you about the videos, although I'm not even crazy about Walk On. It will forever mystify me why they used Joseph Kahn again after Elevation. Cheesy was okay with Elevation, but Stuck deserved better. (I noticed that it wasn't long before the live video replaced the stupid one) I wish the US could get the European videos for Stuck and Walk on.
frown.gif

I think they needed to have a good promotional plan this time around, and what they've accomplished really is impressive. They are the oldest band getting any air time on MTV. Most of it was fine as far as I was concerned. (I was sooooo relieved when the Super Bowl thing was done reasonably tastefully)

Like I said, the only things that really bothered me were the Target, Best Buy, and Microsoft deals, mainly because I hate to see them supporting corps that aggresively seek to control most of the market. On one hand U2 gripes about the state of music, then they turn around and support the very forces that cause it to be the way it is. I know they have to play the game, but that seemed a bit too much and for no apparent benefit.

I don't know about why they're not touring in the rest of the world. I know in a recent interview Bono said something about how they had several times in the past paid money to play (meaning they lost money on specific parts of tours) and they didn't want to do that.

The big business side of the music industry is very interesting and, apparently, is having a very hard time recently. Technology is getting to the point where it could make a lot of what record companies do obsolete and that's scaring them. Naturally, instead of figuring out how to change to fit the new reality they are trying to stop/outlaw/regulate technology to protect the status quo. I read an article in Newsweek (maybe it was Time, I can't remember, I was in a bookstore reading it
wink.gif
) Anyway, in the article Moby said that his 14 year old cousin had never purchased music and didn't see why anyone would. He just downloaded it from the internet
eek.gif
I think it's gonna be a bumpy ride for the music industry in the next few years and I hope good comes from it.
biggrin.gif

"Just wondering if you harbor any hard feelings toward U2 because of their reluctance to tour Australia (which certainly seems to be motivated by the lack of $ that they could earn)?"

Well, I am disappointed that they won't be coming over to Melbourne, but I can't say I have any hard feelings towards them because at the end of the day, they don't owe me anything. As for your suggestion for a free or cheap concert especially for Australian fans, well that would be nice, but I can't think of any good reason why they'd single out Australia when there're plenty of countries all around the world with no less loyal U2 fans. If I rememember correctly they didn't even play their POPMart concert in Sarajevo for free.

And I don't really agree with the argument that just because you're filthy rich you shouldn't mind whether you're getting paid for your job or not. I love -my- job but I sure wouldn't do it for free no matter how rich I already was, especially if it took me away from my family and made me feel like a squeezed lemon after a few months.

Originally posted by STING2:
First, I don't see any new marketing strategy here, especially to people between 12-18 years of age. U2 has done plenty of TV promotions in the past. I currently keep on getting many of these from the early 80s on video tape. The whole TV and MTV thing is obviously nothing new for the band. The Superbowl and Grammy's were things that happened to the band that were out of their control and cannot be considered part of any marketing strategy. 12-18 years don't vote on the Grammy's and that demographic watches the American Music awards heavily over the Grammy's. U2 did not perform at the American Music awards.
More importantly, most of U2s airplay in the USA came from Adult top 40 this time around rather than Modern Rock or regular top 40. What has sold this album in the states are old fans from 1987-1993 jumped off the bandwagon after Achtung. There is a massive U2 fanbase in the USA from ages 25-40 and that is where the majority of U2s album sales have come from for ATYCLB. Winning back these old fans who made the band so incredibly huge from 1987 to 1993 has been the real key to success this time in the USA. Certainly if you can get the 12-18 year olds to buy your product thats great, but I do not see the major effort in that direction and nor has a large number of them bought the album. I'd say less than 10% of sales of the album came from that demographic.
To sum up the band has basically marketed themselves as they always have and while they have certainly drawn in some new young fans, capturing the old fan base has been the key to this albums success. Same goes for the concerts as well. I did not see a special ticket price for the 12-15 years of age.

eek.gif
!! You said 25-40 age group! I'm 25, so have I now become an 'old' fan?!
eek.gif
And old age, it sets in...

I think that no effort to attract extra young audiences should never be done at the expense of alienating other fans because, though it is great to get the young teenagers, not that many are going to like U2 no matter what. There will always be ones with good taste and an appreciation for quality that will come anyway. Look at this site, there are many teenagers who have just started liking U2 because of ATYCLB even though it was alleged by some to be aimed at 'older' fans. With anything, some people will like it and some won't. There is no age requirement for liking U2, only good musical taste!
smile.gif

BTW I do agree with doctorwho's original idea.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

"On one hand U2 gripes about the state of music, then they turn around and support the very forces that cause it to be the way it is."

Well, no one is more responsible for the state of music than the record companies themselves, so doesn't that automatically make U2 hypocrites because they're signed on to a major label which is partly a cause of those hard problems that good, creative music faces today?

Doc,

The short answer to your hypothesis is: NO.

The long answer I'll give tomorrow (or more accurately, later today) as it is now past midnight here, I just got off a plane from Switzerland and I have to get up in a bit more than 6 hours. But in the meantime, think a bit more about U2's record deal and about the fact that if a label drops U2, they'll also lose the right to distribute U2's entire back catalog. (FYI, The Joshua Tree sold about 3800 copies last week in the USA, 15 years after it debuted, extrapolated to a yearly figure this would mean 175-200K for this album in the USA alone).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
Doc,

The short answer to your hypothesis is: NO.

The long answer I'll give tomorrow (or more accurately, later today) as it is now past midnight here, I just got off a plane from Switzerland and I have to get up in a bit more than 6 hours. But in the meantime, think a bit more about U2's record deal and about the fact that if a label drops U2, they'll also lose the right to distribute U2's entire back catalog. (FYI, The Joshua Tree sold about 3800 copies last week in the USA, 15 years after it debuted, extrapolated to a yearly figure this would mean 175-200K for this album in the USA alone).

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn,
Very interesting stats regarding JT! I am curious as to where I can find some of these stats. By the way, does this include sales from those discount services straight from the record label that offer you 10 cds for the price of 1 such as CDHQ, BMG, etc... I know that Sting produces some quality stats from Billboard mag...I am wondering where you find your info. in the Netherlands.

Any info. would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 03-28-2002).]

Popmartijn,
Very interesting stats regarding JT! I am curious as to where I can find some of these stats. By the way, does this include sales from those discount services straight from the record label that offer you 10 cds for the price of 1 such as CDHQ, BMG, etc...

These stats can be found in the Peel Off Those Dollar Bills forum, in the thread for week 72. They are in the post with the Soundscan statistics of the catalog charts (ironically, those stats were posted by the Doc
tongue.gif
). If you want to look, The Joshua Tree is #81 this week. As these are Soundscan stats, they do not include sales by record clubs, etc. (AFAIK, that is).

Speaking of all of these figures, I think this thread should have been placed in the Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills forum, as they talk about the business side of U2. Why didn't ya, Doc? (Cue, carrot-eating rabbit)

I know that Sting produces some quality stats from Billboard mag...I am wondering where you find your info. in the Netherlands.

I have one online source for the charts, which I also mention at the beginning of the weekly discussion (and as I mention it every week I don't need to remember it by heart so I can't tell you now what the exact URL is
smile.gif
). Unfortunately, I cannot find any information regarding exact sales, so I have no idea how much ATYCLB is selling each week.

C ya!

Marty

------------------

I have one online source for the charts, which I also mention at the beginning of the weekly discussion (and as I mention it every week I don't need to remember it by heart so I can't tell you now what the exact URL is
smile.gif
). Unfortunately, I cannot find any information regarding exact sales, so I have no idea how much ATYCLB is selling each week.

C ya!

Marty

Thanks for the info!

Interesting. This goes a long way in proving the theory that Dave Matthews is not extremely popular outside of the US.

I am very surprised by this. The Dave Matthews Band is one of, if not the most popular band in America(most of their fans are college-aged, 18-24) They are very jazzy and can be said that they are an ancestor to the Dead and Phish(with less jamming)

They are a quality band and I am a fan. I have seen them a couple of times and they put on a good show. However, their music can be VERY redundant and many people either Hate them OR Love them.

If you are just joking about this, then I apologize for my stupidity in advance. If not, I hope this helps you...

I can assure you I have neber heard of 'em! They may have a underground following here, I dunno!Thanks for the enlightment on DMB!

WHO THE FECK ARE DEAD AND PHISH????
lol!

------------------
Round and round the forum I go, where I stop nobody knows, cos I'm a annoying little piece of...Interference!

Hello,

As I promised late last night, here is my long answer to Doc's statement.

Did the success of the Best Of 1980-1990 and ATYCLB save U2's recording contract?

No, it didn't as U2 is too powerful to be dropped.
During its lifetime, U2 has emerged as a very successful rock band, both critically as commercially. They did have a little of a slow start, but from War on, U2 made money for their record label. With The Joshua Tree they even hit the jackpot, as that album has sold around 20 million copies worldwide. Until the release of The Best Of 1980-1990 in 1998 total worldwide sales were around 80 million albums, a staggering amount.
Up until Achtung Baby each U2 album was progressively more successful than its predecessor, although levelling to mega-successful after the giga-successful The Joshua Tree. As said earlier in this thread, from Zooropa on U2 albums weren't that successful as before, but still... Not many bands can sell 6-7 million copies worldwide with their albums. Now, Zooropa and Pop were only moderately successful in the USA, but this does not mean that record executives could justify dropping them for business reasons.

During their carreer, U2 (including Paul McGuinness) have made many powerful connections and friends. From 1986 until 1989 they had a stake in Island Records (they reportedly sold their 10% stake for GBP 20 million to Polygram when that company took over Island [source: Q Magazine, August 1998]), mogul Chris Blackwell is a very good friend of the band. During their carreer U2 have worked with many different people, including producers. Jimmy Iovine produced UABRS and Rattle & Hum. He's also in charge (owner? director?) of Interscope Records. And I almost know there are dozens of other important bigwigs that U2 are friends with (promotors, record executives, producers, etc.). So a record executive should have a very strong constitution to drop U2 and risk that powerful music insiders turn against him and Universal.

U2 also has another important asset: their music. U2 is one of the few bands that have the rights to every aspect of its music; the publishing and the masters. This has as a consequence that U2 licenses it music to the record company they have a contract with (for a reported royalty rate of GBP 3 on every album sold [source: Q Magazine, August 1998]). However, when the contract ends and U2 signs a contract with another company, all the music goes with them. So any new company would have the right to sell The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, etc. as long as U2 stays with them. I already reported that The Joshua Tree sold about 3800 copies in the USA last week (which would mean it sells 175-200K a year with these figures). As the album doesn't need any promotion anymore, every album sold is pure profit for the company.
As said, U2 has their masters. The Rolling Stones do too, although only from their '70s albums onwards (Sticky Fingers). So a few weeks ago it was reported that Mick Jagger was dropped by Virgin because of his disappointing sales (a gossip published by WENN no other journalist believed except the Dutch), but this could not be true. I assume Virgin has a contract that promises that it should also release solo albums by Stones, in return of the right to sell the back catalogue and the new material. I also assume REM has the masters of their WB recordings (they don't have it for their '80s work until Green), so dropping REM would also mean losing Out Of Time and Automatic For The People. Prince does not have possession of its masters (hence the current flood of Prince compilations and sub-par outtake-albums). And neither does Mariah Carey. I think one reason she got dropped by Virgin was that not only was her album performing terrible, Virgin did not have any other Mariah Carey material to fall back on, as it is all in possession of Sony Music (BTW, her current carreer is also an example not to let powerful music insiders become your enemy as her ex-husband Tommy Mottolla is maybe largely responsible for her lack of success).

On a side note, the release (and success) of The Best Of 1980-1990 should be counted in the initial statemet as posed by the Doc. That compilation album does not fall under U2's standard recording contract. In the Summer of 1998, when Universal was taking over Polygram, U2 signed a contract with Island Records that allowed Island to release 3 compilation albums (reportedly for the sum of USD 50 million). This means that Island does not only have the exclusive rights to the first 3 U2 compilation albums (i.e. even if U2 leaves Island/Universal, that company will still have the rights to sell those 3 compilation albums) but also strengthens the theory that U2 were never in a position to get dropped. The contract was signed in 1998, after the release of Pop. So why should Island sign such a contract if they did not have any faith in U2 anymore? No, U2's recording contract was never in doubt (certainly not as long as Chris Blackwell was CEO of Island Records) and now they're more powerful than ever.

C ya!

Marty

------------------

These stats can be found in the Peel Off Those Dollar Bills forum, in the thread for week 72. They are in the post with the Soundscan statistics of the catalog charts (ironically, those stats were posted by the Doc ). If you want to look, The Joshua Tree is #81 this week. As these are Soundscan stats, they do not include sales by record clubs, etc. (AFAIK, that is).

Speaking of all of these figures, I think this thread should have been placed in the Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills forum, as they talk about the business side of U2. Why didn't ya, Doc? (Cue, carrot-eating rabbit)

Bugs Bunny claims that the reason this thread was posted here was to get other's opinions, not just those who dominate the "Peel off those Dollar Bills" forum.
biggrin.gif
Plus, the answer didn't *have* to be about the charts or sales, per se, as you, ironically, pointed out in one of your replies (i.e., U2's connections).

Speaking of being "ironic" you commented on the Catalog charts, stating how "well" JT is selling this week and extrapolating that information to how well the album would sell in the U.S. this coming year. Apparently you didn't look at this chart very closely.
wink.gif
Isn't it ironic (*cues Alannis).

True, JT sold a little over 3800 copies this past week, but that is a significant drop from the week before, which was a significant drop from the week before and so on. JT received a strong sales spike thanks to the Super Bowl performance. Furthermore, if you look closely at this chart, you'll see that JT has spent only 14 weeks on the Catalog charts this current run. That is, each time JT falls from the Catalog charts and re-enters, its "weeks on" the chart starts over again at "1." In other words, JT does NOT sell 3800 copies per week, every week of the year - it could and has fallen out of the Top 200 on the Catalog charts, where it may sell under 2000 copies a week. JT is selling well now thanks to the Super Bowl and Grammies. However, as ATYCLB slowly falls from the charts, so will JT. And once JT falls from the Top 200 on the Catalog charts, it will sell, as I just stated, less than 2000 copies per week - meaning less than 100,000 copies per year. Suddenly, that number isn't that impressive, is it?

Also, looking at the Catalog charts, you'll see only two U2 listings - JT and the "Best Of." At times, other strong sellers, like AB, will pop back on the Catalog charts, but that's only due to the release of a new U2 album or a huge hit song, or some other significant U2-related event. Since none of that is true right now, we don't see other former strong selling albums, like AB on teh charts. Therefore, at present, all of U2's albums, other than JT, ATYCLB and the "Best Of", are selling below 2000 copies a week. Something like "Pop" or "October" - both poor selling albums in their initial run in the U.S. - may sell only 100-500 copies a week. That means as little as 5000 copies of these albums sold per year. Again, suddenly this back catalog isn't that impressive, is it?

So while I agree with the overall sentiment of this thread, in that I do not think U2 would have been dropped from their label due to strong worldwide sales, one does have to wonder if ATYCLB hadn't been such a big success (especially in the U.S.) would U2's contract remained the same for the future? The success of ATYCLB could eventually mean the difference of a label signing U2 just because they are U2 - a group who had hits in the past, to a label signing U2 because U2 can still generate MILLIONS sold in the U.S. and win numerous awards as well. The latter is clearly a far more lucrative contract.

Dr. Who,
I think you may read a little to much into the top 200 catalog albums chart. First, it is only for the USA, just think of all the different countries in the world that sell U2s entire Catalog. Second, yes the catalog sales might not be that impressive for 2001, but look at how well U2s catalog sold in the late 1980s and Early 1990s. When it comes to Catalog sales, U2 is historically one of the top sellers. The majority of U2s album sales have come after the first two years of release.
So right now while the catalog sales have slowed considerably, there is the potential to sale very well over many years.
How many artist can you name have as large a catalog as U2, that has sold as well and continues to sell, in nearly every country on the planet where you can buy albums. Don't just think in terms of the USA, think Worldwide where 70% of the market is outside the USA.
While POP as an album may not have done as well as past U2 releases, look at the POPMART TOUR! POPMART is the 3rd highest Grossing tour in the history of the Planet! 172 million dollars in ticket sales alone. Only the past two Rolling Stones Tours have made more money. What it has to do with album sales is that the tour shows that the band has probably the most dedicated and loyal following of any artist on the planet. That is something the label will always be able to count on no matter what product the band produces or the economic situation at the time. I think this proves that if there is one artist that everyone wants to sign and no one would ever drop, its U2. If there are others in this catagory then I would say U2 are in the top 5 at least. By the way, POP has sold more albums than any Rolling Stone album of the past 20 years, but do you know any label that would drop the Stones?
The more I think about it now, I'd say there is no way the label could possibly of even thought about dropping U2 for a second after POP.

No, U2's recording contract was never in doubt (certainly not as long as Chris Blackwell was CEO of Island Records) and now they're more powerful than ever.
makes sense to me

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Okee Dokee, y'all have done a good job convincing me that U2's contract was never in doubt. And, this may surprise you, I agree. It was just a question I proposed - not a thought I believed. I just wanted to know if having a Gold or Platinum selling album is enough these days. Apparently, the answer is "yes."

That said, it seemed like U2 went to a LOT of trouble in the making of and marketing of ATYCLB. After a decade of experimentation, they went with a far more mainstream, accessible album. After virtually no promotion for "Zooropa," non-existent promotion for OS1 and far more subtle promotion for "Pop," ATYCLB received the promotion of a lifetime. This included TONS of promotional work by the band themselves, including mini-concerts, TV appearances, interviews - things that they haven't done since the early 80's when they were trying to get recognized. Hmmmm #2.... Lastly, as stated in other threads, there was a heavy emphasis to market this album towards the younger generation. Hmmmm #3....

Clearly all of that promotion worked, but it makes me wonder nonetheless - if U2 were so sure that they had contract in hand, why bother working so hard at this stage of their careers? R.E.M. released a new album last year. It received a Grammy nod. It went Gold. R.E.M. and their fans are happy. Why did U2 have to do all of this extra work? This is why, on that dreary afternoon last week, I wondered if there was some dobut about U2's contract had ATYCLB not succeeded.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-30-2002).]

Originally posted by doctorwho:
R.E.M. and their fans are happy.
are you sure about that?
I don't think R.E.M. set the same goals for themselves as U2, but I do think they want their work (which they think is very good - and I agree) to reach a bigger audience then their last albums did

------------------
Salome

Originally posted by Salome:
are you sure about that?
I don't think R.E.M. set the same goals for themselves as U2, but I do think they want their work (which they think is very good - and I agree) to reach a bigger audience then their last albums did

I don't think REM really cares. They make what they want to make and they never try to come up with outrageous images and gimmics to try to sell themselves, they ARE themselves, and that is good enough. They have nothing to left prove. Sure I think they wish they had sold more records, but not at the expense of selling out their integrity and becoming something they are not. Good for them.

I heard a quote from Stevie Nicks on the radio the other day. She said she prepared herself years ago for getting older, and how it was going to be, so that when she got there, she and her fans would be okay with that, and she wouldn't have to pretend to be something she wasn't. I think REM know that, and I hope a certain other band realizes it too.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 03-30-2002).]

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
Sure I think they wish they had sold more records, but not at the expense of selling out their integrity and becoming something they are not. Good for them.
though I agree with the most part of your post, I do think you paint the picture a bit too black and white
there is a lot a band can do to try and get their records sold which wouldn't cause them to lose their integrity

R.E.M.'s (and U2's) albums up to now already show that their integrity is in check
they are not compromising their artistic capacity because of commercial gain
trying to get that album to reach your audience is a whole other ball game (not everything goes, but as long as it isn't in bad taste it's okay with me)

------------------
Salome

"Will I be disappointed if the new album doesn't go to number 1 and sell a million copies? Of course I will."

Michael Stipe prior to the release of Up.

MAP

I think the only thing U2 was in trouble of losing after POP was their status as both the biggest and best band in the world. I actually think they might of maintained both though right up to ATYCLB. ATYCLB insure's though that the above is definitely so.
I continue you to disagree that U2 went on some unusual promotion effort never seen in the past to put ATYCLB at the top. The band was on a lot of TV programs, but they had before in the past especially for POP. The one hour Prime Time ABC show A Year In POP still trumps any single promotion effort for ATYCLB except maybe Grammy's and Super Bowl which are random and out of the bands control and cannot be consider a major promotion effort like a one hour ABC show pushed by the band. POP era also featured U2s largest press conference ever, and 24 hours of U2 all day on MTV to promote the first single and video for Discotheque. Two more huge events done for POP but not for ATYCLB.
Yes there were many more smaller appearences on various TV shows, but these are a much smaller part of the promotion pie than what people are crediting it. Your bread and butter promotion is still about Radio, Video play, and concerts. That is what sells albums any day of the week, every week in a month and every month in a year. Then there are the one or two week sales spikes seen after the TV shows. Sometimes no effect is seen, like with the first MTV half hour Elevation special.

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
So maybe their contract was not in doubt, but could be their popularity, ego, reputation, legendary status WERE. All of those things had been damaged, and ATYCLB restored them and more. Mission accomplished.

Ok this is what I mean. I agree with this statement, I think this explains it.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Clearly all of that promotion worked, but it makes me wonder nonetheless - if U2 were so sure that they had contract in hand, why bother working so hard at this stage of their careers? R.E.M. released a new album last year. It received a Grammy nod. It went Gold. R.E.M. and their fans are happy. Why did U2 have to do all of this extra work? This is why, on that dreary afternoon last week, I wondered if there was some dobut about U2's contract had ATYCLB not succeeded.

I remember an interview with Bono from late last year where he addressed this issue. As I also have another browser open on the @U2 site I quickly searched their news archive and found the exact quote. It's from the article Joy makes a return from the Los Angeles Times dated 15 December 2001.

Q: Weren't you worried that you might look out of place when you took the new music to the TV shows that cater to the Britney Spears and 'N Sync and Limp Bizkit audiences? You could be seen as desperate.

A: [...] I think a lot of rock bands lost track of the importance of selling the music. Hip-hop on many levels pulled the rug from under rock because they were willing to promote their records. They were willing to go on TV and TRL. Rock groups were too cool to do that. If you believe in what you've just written, you ought to be willing to take it door-to-door, if that's what it takes.

I think the last sentence says it all. U2 (and I think especially Bono) believe in their music so much they want to make every human being on earth a fan. They did this before (MTV Awards, A Year In Pop special, maybe also the movie Rattle & Hum, etc.) and they did it last year (TRL, Farmclub, Superbowl).

C ya!

Marty

------------------

I think the only thing U2 was in trouble of losing after POP was their status as both the biggest and best band in the world. I actually think they might of maintained both though right up to ATYCLB. ATYCLB insure's though that the above is definitely so.
I continue you to disagree that U2 went on some unusual promotion effort never seen in the past to put ATYCLB at the top. The band was on a lot of TV programs, but they had before in the past especially for POP. The one hour Prime Time ABC show A Year In POP still trumps any single promotion effort for ATYCLB except maybe Grammy's and Super Bowl which are random and out of the bands control and cannot be consider a major promotion effort like a one hour ABC show pushed by the band. POP era also featured U2s largest press conference ever, and 24 hours of U2 all day on MTV to promote the first single and video for Discotheque. Two more huge events done for POP but not for ATYCLB.
Yes there were many more smaller appearences on various TV shows, but these are a much smaller part of the promotion pie than what people are crediting it. Your bread and butter promotion is still about Radio, Video play, and concerts. That is what sells albums any day of the week, every week in a month and every month in a year. Then there are the one or two week sales spikes seen after the TV shows. Sometimes no effect is seen, like with the first MTV half hour Elevation special.

Promotion: the process by which one utilizes their ability to make contact and/or reach a large number of people.

The Grammy's and the Super Bowl especially are 2 of the biggest promotions that U2 have ever taken part in. Period. (Live Aid and Amnesty International are the only ones that may be bigger than the Super Bowl, IMO).The Super Bowl was seen by approximately 800 million + people throughout the world!!!!

That IS promotion. U2 DID have control of whether or not they should make these appearances. Believe, me, they knew exactly what they were doing when they agreed to perform during all of the aforementioned shows. If you think otherwise, you are only in denial.

MBH,
You fail to understand the fact that U2 did not ask to be on the Super Bowl, they were invited, unlike the A Year in POP special or POPMART Press conference where the opposite was the case.
For the Super Bowl, people at the network thought long and hard about who would be best for the show and decided U2 would be. Out of the blue, they asked U2, all the band had to do was show up. Band and management had to next to nothing. Accepting an offer from someone is not control. You don't get to go to the party unless you are invited!
With the Grammy's, there is an eleborate voting process to decide who gets nominated. After the nominee's are chosen, there is a large voting process to decide the winners. 13,000 members of the acadamy are involved in the process of both votes. U2 plays no role in that process except for their individual votes. U2 does not decide what awards get presented on TV either. Of the 110 awards given out, only a few make it on TV. Yes the band accepts to go to the show just like every artist that is nominated. No shows are rare, even the "Anti-Promotion" studs, Radio Head showed up when they were nominated.
The point is that the band had no control of being invited to these events and cannot be considered as evidence of U2 doing something beyond what they had done in the past to promote themselves. U2 has gone to every Grammy awards show they were nominated at, 1988, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1998, 2001, and 2002.
No artist has ever turned down playing the Superbowl, and most would probably love to play it, the only problem being they don't have any control over who gets invited to play.

As far as exposure level from these events, I agree the Superbowl is huge as well as the Grammy's. But they are not events the band can plan to do like, K-mart Press conference, 24 hour a day on MTV, and a documentary on yourself on primetime TV on a major network. Those were distinct attempts by the band to promote themselves that did not involve being invited. The band came to K-mart, MTV, and ABC and pushed themselves in the door!
The band would have played the Superbowl at anytime in their career before, but they were never asked to until now.
The whole point of this discussion is what has the band tried to do, if anything to promote themselves more than they had with POP. You cannot count things that the band did do for POP(they went to the Grammy's for POP but did not win) or were not invited to do by another party, in attempting indicate a higher level of promotion effort by the band.

MBH,
You fail to understand the fact that U2 did not ask to be on the Super Bowl, they were invited, unlike the A Year in POP special or POPMART Press conference where the opposite was the case.
For the Super Bowl, people at the network thought long and hard about who would be best for the show and decided U2 would be. Out of the blue, they asked U2, all the band had to do was show up. Band and management had to next to nothing. Accepting an offer from someone is not control. You don't get to go to the party unless you are invited!
With the Grammy's, there is an eleborate voting process to decide who gets nominated. After the nominee's are chosen, there is a large voting process to decide the winners. 13,000 members of the acadamy are involved in the process of both votes. U2 plays no role in that process except for their individual votes. U2 does not decide what awards get presented on TV either. Of the 110 awards given out, only a few make it on TV. Yes the band accepts to go to the show just like every artist that is nominated. No shows are rare, even the "Anti-Promotion" studs, Radio Head showed up when they were nominated.
The point is that the band had no control of being invited to these events and cannot be considered as evidence of U2 doing something beyond what they had done in the past to promote themselves. U2 has gone to every Grammy awards show they were nominated at, 1988, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1998, 2001, and 2002.
No artist has ever turned down playing the Superbowl, and most would probably love to play it, the only problem being they don't have any control over who gets invited to play.

As far as exposure level from these events, I agree the Superbowl is huge as well as the Grammy's. But they are not events the band can plan to do like, K-mart Press conference, 24 hour a day on MTV, and a documentary on yourself on primetime TV on a major network. Those were distinct attempts by the band to promote themselves that did not involve being invited. The band came to K-mart, MTV, and ABC and pushed themselves in the door!
The band would have played the Superbowl at anytime in their career before, but they were never asked to until now.
The whole point of this discussion is what has the band tried to do, if anything to promote themselves more than they had with POP. You cannot count things that the band did do for POP(they went to the Grammy's for POP but did not win) or were not invited to do by another party, in attempting indicate a higher level of promotion effort by the band.

I do understand the fact that U2 was asked to play the SB and voted on by the academy for the Grammy's.

You, however, FAIL to realize that promotion is promotion(refer to definition in earlier post).

If your point is that U2 actually put forth more of their own effort and utilized more of their own manpower as an organization to promote POP, then fine, that is so.

However, the Super Bowl and the Grammy's ARE huge promotions for an artist and that is why they play them in the first place("Singing at the Super Bowl will let me reach an audience that has never heard of me before."-Mary J. Blige @ Super Bowl 36).

The point is, promotion is the ability to reach a great number of people. You constantly state that "U2 did not have control over this" or "U2 did not have control over that." That is just not true.

Sure, they DID NOT go to the executives at the NFL and ASK to play at the Super Bowl. They DID NOT ask to be nominated for the grammy's.

However, U2 certainly made a conscience decision to attend the Grammy's and to PERFORM at the Super Bowl. U2 WERE NOT FORCED to perform and/or appear at either event. Therefore, U2 DID HAVE CONTROL over this PROMOTION. I do not care how you promote yourself. You have control over the decisions in your life. Period.

If your point is effort made by the band rather than invitation-only appearances, then fine, POP was promoted differently and more aggressively than ATYCLB.

The bottom line is this: in both cases we are talking about PROMOTION. ATYCLB was clearly, evidently and concisely promoted more thoroughly by U2 than for POP. I have provided sufficient evidence to support my cases.

I look forward to your reply.

Have a good day.

MBH

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 04-01-2002).]

MBH,
With the more loose way that you define promotion, I would have to agree with your post above on all points. My definition is more narrow and more just about the effort of the band. But I see your point. ATYCLB did get more exposure regardless of the bands level of effort. While the level of exposure was more, it never approached being double of what POP recieved.

Back
Top Bottom