Did Elevation tour turn out to be as they expected? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2002, 11:25 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Did Elevation tour turn out to be as they expected?

I mean with all the changes in the setlists, fans playing with them onstage more or less every show, not just a girl dancing with Bono during WOWY any more, the spontanity etc etc

Do you think this was planned or did it just happened and then it grew like a snowball for the rest of the tour.
How many times haven't we been sitting here infront of the computer an reading after a show what happened and just felt that we really missed something. Every single show was more unic this tour then on other tours, me thinks.

So what do you think? Was even the band "surpriced" about what happened along the road with this tour?

------------------
"U2 on itīs own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with itīs audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Old 03-09-2002, 06:25 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:56 AM
I think everything just happened. There's no way that what happened between Bono and my 9-year-old daughter could have been planned! The moment he walked away towards the exit from the stage, we started anticipating that he was perhaps leaving the stage heading our way, but the fact that he did it is just incredible!

When there was a repeat of a situation (re: Bono taking the flag from fans, a fan playing an instrument onstage due to a sign, etc.), I think that it is still spontaneous because there is no telling who it will be or IF the band will repeat one of these things for the concert you attend.

It isn't unique to this tour only though, one of the awesome things of seeing U2 live since I’ve been crazy about this band is Bono's spontaneity. When is he going to change the lyrics and what snippet is he going to throw in? When is he going to pull a fan up on stage? When is he going to leave the stage?

Old 03-09-2002, 08:47 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:56 AM
I think it was more than all of us ever dreamed of including the band.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:44 AM   #4
Babyface

Local Time: 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shine * Like* Stars*:
I think it was more than all of us ever dreamed of including the band.
There should have been more times with Shine like stars snippet added to the end of WOWY though... *(I like your username!) hehe

Old 03-10-2002, 10:58 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 04:56 PM
BostonAnne: Of course I don't mean that it was planned, like "Aha, tonight I will pick the guy second from the left up to play guitar" or "tonight I will see if I find a cute young girl I can climb up to"

Everything comes spontaniuos but this tour it has been more then before, more climbing up in the seats, more taking cameras from the audience, more flipping around with the setlist etc etc. Before this tour you could count the fans playing onstage on your two hands (or something) but you can't count all that have done that or participated musically in one way or the other this tour.

And on recent tours you could pick out a few shows that stood out because they played a certain song only there, or Bono did that particular thing, not just changing the lyrics to a song a bit. On this tour something like that happened on every show but it was still different things he did wich made each show more unique then what they already have been on recent tours.

And lemon.se, that Bono didn't sing Stars at every show made the shows he did it at special, and on other shows, he did something else that made those shows special, that's what I'm pointing at.

------------------
"U2 on itīs own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with itīs audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:13 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissZooropa:
I mean with all the changes in the setlists, fans playing with them onstage more or less every show, not just a girl dancing with Bono during WOWY any more, the spontanity etc etc

Do you think this was planned or did it just happened and then it grew like a snowball for the rest of the tour.
I misunderstood what you meant Miss Zooropa! You did ask if we thought it was planned or did it just happen. Being too literal I guess
Old 03-10-2002, 11:45 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lemon.se:
There should have been more times with Shine like stars snippet added to the end of WOWY though... *(I like your username!) hehe

I absolutely LOVE that snippet. Amen lemon!