Did Bono really say this to a fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Eddie Vedder "Shoe The Shoeless" clip...I think it's kind of weird that he walked off AFTER he basically instigated the crowd into throwing more stuff at him.

About the Eddie Vedder "Shoe The Shoeless" clip...I think it's kind of weird that he walked off AFTER he basically instigated the crowd into throwing more stuff at him.

Actually, they returned for a 4-song encore afterwards.

Luckily, Bono didn't sing with Green Day at Woodstock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h275pulfwHE

There must have been more powerful drugs there than at the original Woodstock concert. I guess it safe to say the drugs were less organic.

It sure is hard to figure out what's going on there. It appears to be Mud people on quayludes hence the slow action happening around the stage. Glad I missed it, except perhaps the ludes.

Wow I had no idea the thread would blow up like this; all I wanted was a simple yes or no. Since it did happened, I can see why Bono would say something like this within the context of Sunday Bloody Sunday; there's a much bigger picture to it than just what we see as him "telling off" a fan. The song obviously means a lot to him.

It's Sunday Bloody Sunday, part of the 'heart of darkness' part of the set, which can no doubt get quite intense for Bono. He's stated often that he has to put himself completely into the 'character' of songs in order to sing it well. I can certainly see how he'd get frustrated by being deep in that angry moment of the song, and seeing nothing but cameras and cell phones everywhere.

Yeah, it was a little harsh and embarrassing for the fan, but shit happens. He apologized. It's over.

It could always be worse, he could be Tori Amos :wink::

YouTube - Tori Amos Code Red Live
Start at 2:25

"Get the fuck out of my show. It's a privilege to be in the front row. These are my seats and I give them to people that deserve them. Get the fuck out."

I think I actually agree w DOL13 here. I've seen him glance at ppl who he wished were paying more attn to his message while performing and the look on his face is that he wished "they had gone to a Back Street Boys concert"- instead of his show.

To be a U2 fan he wants you to pay attn to the more important songs-not gab on the phone-or take pictures at times.

(Edited-I just read the account from Chris the fellow who Bono called out..wow..)
The internet is a place with a lot of bad info sometimes.

What did the Tori Amos fan do to piss her off?

<>

From what I've read from people at that show, they were two girls who were chatting and ruining the show for the people around them. This happened during the middle of the show so Tori probably saw them annoying others throughout the show and had enough.

Makes sense.
When I saw her in the mid 90s and somebody's cell ph went off during a song, she stopped playing the piano and made a quip to the fan..

<>

I really congratulate you guys on being perfect and never doing or saying anything wrong, always containing your temper and being in the right mood. Wow. When I grow up I want to become just like you. :happy:

In fact, you're hypocrits, sorry to say. :|

So I can never say anyone is ever out of line because I also have been out of line some time in my life. I see. I guess by that logic no one should ever tell anyone they're doing anything wrong because they have at some point in their life done something wrong too. Sounds like a very confrontation free and shallow way to go about things if you ask me.

I think I actually agree w DOL13 here. I've seen him glance at ppl who he wished were paying more attn to his message while performing and the look on his face is that he wished "they had gone to a Back Street Boys concert"- instead of his show.

To be a U2 fan he wants you to pay attn to the more important songs-not gab on the phone-or take pictures at times.

(Edited-I just read the account from Chris the fellow who Bono called out..wow..)
The internet is a place with a lot of bad info sometimes.

What did the Tori Amos fan do to piss her off?

<>

So you aren't a U2 fan unless you act the way Bono wants you to act? People don't go to U2 concerts so they can set the stage for Bono to have his fun. Concerts are for the band to entertain people. This is why the people pay very high ticket prices to the band. If Bono can't have everything he wants is it fair for him to throw a hissy fit and single out people to humiliate in front of thousands of fans? No it's not. It's ridiculous and pathetic.

Good God I cannot believe the blatant Bono worship in this thread. I don't even care that much that Bono does stuff like this, it's just so pathetic to see how blindly people can follow their music idols.

. Concerts are for the band to entertain people. .

Disagree, I think you're thinking of a Bon Jovi concert, esp when U2 fans spend days waiting in line *just* to get next to the stage.

The last thing Bono wants to see is somebody yaking on the horn 3 feet away from him during a serious song; permissable at a Mylie Cyrus concert perhaps-not a U2 show.

<>

It's none of Bono's business if someone has their phone out. It's not his concert, it's the people's. Yeah, if someone is up front causing a ruckus and disrupting the show for other people it's a different story. But when a person pays a couple hundred bucks (which is insane) to sit in the front row and Bono gets pissed off because they're taking away from HIS enjoyment of his own performance and not disrupting anyone else that's completely pathetic. These people are PAYING HIM and they can't even take pictures of him? Ridiculous. He may as well say "pay me a couple hundred bucks to watch me sing, but if you're not enjoying the show the way I want you to be I'll humiliate you."

did he pay a couple hundred bucks or did he pay 49.50 for his ticket? who's to say he scalped it? this whole thread is totally ridiculous.

It's none of Bono's business if someone has their phone out. It's not his concert, it's the people's. Yeah, if someone is up front causing a ruckus and disrupting the show for other people it's a different story. But when a person pays a couple hundred bucks (which is insane) to sit in the front row and Bono gets pissed off because they're taking away from HIS enjoyment of his own performance and not disrupting anyone else that's completely pathetic. These people are PAYING HIM and they can't even take pictures of him? Ridiculous. He may as well say "pay me a couple hundred bucks to watch me sing, but if you're not enjoying the show the way I want you to be I'll humiliate you."

Crap. If I perform I don't want people to be on the phone. I don't want them to interrupt the show or spoil it for others. It's also a question of respect. Not only the artist has to have respect for the audience, but also the other way around. If you want to talk on the phone, go back and let other people stand in the front row. If you are in front of the stage, just enjoy the show or leave the place to someone who appreciates the performance more. It's not as one sided as you are trying to portray. These guys are working on stage and that's what they are paid for. I still say: front rows should be for real fans who are more interested in the show than on chatting on their cell phone. If you want to chat on your phone while you're at a concert, it's your own fault, because you're missing out, but please do it somewhere in the back, not in front of the stage, because there are so many more people who simply want to enjoy the show.

Why do I have a feeling that if Chris Martin performed this exact same outburst during "Yellow" or some shit, everyone here would be totally outraged?

Why do I have a feeling that if Chris Martin performed this exact same outburst during "Yellow" or some shit, everyone here would be totally outraged?

Well, of course they would be. The bastard would be copying Bono once again. ;)

front rows should be for real fans who are more interested in the show than on chatting on their cell phone. If you want to chat on your phone while you're at a concert, it's your own fault, because you're missing out, but please do it somewhere in the back, not in front of the stage, because there are so many more people who simply want to enjoy the show.

:doh:

Once again the guy WAS NOT talking on his phone

Faust Arp (during the middle of the song Thom tells a heckler, ‘Shut the fuck up, you’re not funny you just don’t get out much.’)

:hmm:

Crap. If I perform I don't want people to be on the phone. I don't want them to interrupt the show or spoil it for others. It's also a question of respect. Not only the artist has to have respect for the audience, but also the other way around. If you want to talk on the phone, go back and let other people stand in the front row. If you are in front of the stage, just enjoy the show or leave the place to someone who appreciates the performance more. It's not as one sided as you are trying to portray. These guys are working on stage and that's what they are paid for. I still say: front rows should be for real fans who are more interested in the show than on chatting on their cell phone. If you want to chat on your phone while you're at a concert, it's your own fault, because you're missing out, but please do it somewhere in the back, not in front of the stage, because there are so many more people who simply want to enjoy the show.

LOL... what...

First of all he wasn't talking on his phone so your entire point is invalid. Second, it's ridiculous to say that only big fans should get to sit in the front, as if anyone should be gauging how big of a fan anyone is. Tell me how taking pictures is taking enjoyment away from anyone, please.

Maybe they should have spotters making sure that people don't pull out their phones because if they do it's obviously a sign of a lack of fandom. And only the most hardcore of fans should be able to sit in the front regardless of how much they payed. Maybe you should be required to show concrete evidence that you're a big U2 fan before you can buy good seats. If a guy IS caught talking on his phone the spotters can go to him and replace him with a more responsible, appreciative fan (because paying your paycheck to be there is obviously a huge privilage) or show his confirmation of fandom and let him off with a warning. We all know that no one on interference would do a thing like take pictures of Bono and post them on a message board (such as PLEBA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom