Did Bono live in Isreal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imogen

The Fly
I have just read an interview over at @u2 and it quotes Bono as saying he lived for a year in Israel in the 80s. I have never heard that before. Does anyone know anything about it?

Dec 12 The Sunday Times When Love Comes To Town on the @U2 home page :

“As it happens, I spent a year living in Israel during the 80s, and the only word for how the Arab population was treated there is ‘apartheid’. The devil gets great value out of a family row where everybody’s a little bit in the right,” he reflects.

He spent several months in Ethiopia and El Salvador, I guess someone got the country wrong.

U2Kitten said:
He spent several months in Ethiopia and El Salvador, I guess someone got the country wrong.

But how does the Arab population's "apartheid" factor in those countries?

anitram said:

But how does the Arab population's "apartheid" factor in those countries?

That had not come up yet when I wrote and submitted my post.

Yes, whoever started this thread, you did misunderstand the quote. I read the same article a while back. That quote is not Bono, it is the narrator of the article. The journalist who wrote the profile about Bono is mentioning his own experience in Israel in the 80s. Make sense?

Yes, I see now. The quotation marks should be in front of The Devil gets great value..... so it's just a punctuation error.

I thought it was very odd. In 20 odd years of being a fan I had never heard that before. Thanks for helping to clear that up.

Back
Top Bottom