Did Bono Ever Have Singing Lessons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent post Peterr.

You patiently explain a lot of unanswered questions here and connect the dots.

dbs

Peter, do you know what the story is with Bono's smoking? Has he quit? His voice changed very dramatically (for the better) from the second leg to the end of the Vertigo Tour, and I figured that might be a possibility...

I never really noticed the voice-problem in the PopMart era because I wasn't really into the band at the time and I haven't listened to many shows from 97-98. But yesterday, I heard much of the June 15, 1997 show in Edmonton (Canada) and he was really straining --- that's the first U2 show I've ever heard where it's Bono's voice alone that really brought down the gig.

Of course, it's just one show, but still I really noticed the lack of both range and power at that one.

digitize said:
Peter, do you know what the story is with Bono's smoking? Has he quit? His voice changed very dramatically (for the better) from the second leg to the end of the Vertigo Tour, and I figured that might be a possibility...

I think he still smokes, but less now then a few years ago. He must have been smoking when he recorded the vocals for the studio version of WOS, you realy hear a smokey sound on that song, same with the recording Dying Sailor to His Shipmates.
Between the 4th leg and 5th leg he had a chance to rest his voice, but he must have singing for himself or taking vocal lessons under that time, because if you don't use the voice in a long time you can lose a bit power. It is just like training your muscles, if you don't do it for a while your mucles will be smaller. So there may have been some vocal lessons in 2006.

Some of the reasons why he sound so good now is/might be:

- Better techniques
- Less smoking/driknin
- He still heals from the throat surgey in 98.

65980 said:
I never really noticed the voice-problem in the PopMart era because I wasn't really into the band at the time and I haven't listened to many shows from 97-98. But yesterday, I heard much of the June 15, 1997 show in Edmonton (Canada) and he was really straining --- that's the first U2 show I've ever heard where it's Bono's voice alone that really brought down the gig.

Of course, it's just one show, but still I really noticed the lack of both range and power at that one.
I suggest you go find yourself the Popmart sarajevo concert...

Although it's still amazing in it's own way (also due to bono's voice and how he struggle's through the show). Overall Bono's voice on Popmart was a bit weak but still nice, if he had a good day he could sing like a bird, he was hitting the high notes most of the time as well, listen to the Tampa popmart concert for example.

schnumi said:
I suggest you go find yourself the Popmart sarajevo concert...

Although it's still amazing in it's own way (also due to bono's voice and how he struggle's through the show). Overall Bono's voice on Popmart was a bit weak but still nice, if he had a good day he could sing like a bird, he was hitting the high notes most of the time as well, listen to the Tampa popmart concert for example.

The funny thing is that Sarajevo got one of the strongest falsettos on EBTTRT ever, an amazing strong Gone :)

About the Tampa show, is there any specific note on that show that is strong?

Peterrrrr said:

He must have been smoking when he recorded the vocals for the studio version of WOS, you realy hear a smokey sound on that song, same with the recording Dying Sailor to His Shipmates.

WOS, what song is that?

He definitely has cut down smoking, because usually weight gain is associated with giving up smoking/cutting down etc. Bono has a gained a bit of weight. I know, my dad gained some definite weight when he quit (he was a heavy smoker on 40 a day).

Peterrrrr said:

I think he still smokes, but less now then a few years ago. He must have been smoking when he recorded the vocals for the studio version of WOS, you realy hear a smokey sound on that song, same with the recording Dying Sailor to His Shipmates.
Between the 4th leg and 5th leg he had a chance to rest his voice, but he must have singing for himself or taking vocal lessons under that time, because if you don't use the voice in a long time you can lose a bit power. It is just like training your muscles, if you don't do it for a while your mucles will be smaller. So there may have been some vocal lessons in 2006.

Some of the reasons why he sound so good now is/might be:

- Better techniques
- Less smoking/driknin
- He still heals from the throat surgey in 98.

Well, Peter, thanks for your insight... this has cleared up a lot of my confusion!

I'm gonna be honest, I prefer rock n' roll when its screamed out loud, like Bono used to do in the 80's, specially during the R&H period when he could scream with a lot of dirtiness on his voice but it still had a warm soulful layer to it that added a lot (and helped him on a song like Love Rescue Me). Nowadays I think he has gained even more warmness and added more feeling to his voice but a lot of times when he starts singing it sounds like a child singing, way too tame. That's irritating for me cause it has no attitude, he slowly build his voice thorough those songs though. It's fantastic what he did with SYCMIOYO and on Miss Sarajevo on the last tour though, really impressive. It seems to me that he is slowly getting back to a Roger Daltry kind of dirtiness to his voice. On lots of shows he did the scream for ABOY on the last tour. Still, I think he will never belt out with the dirtiness again. His screams are more controlled and professional now, like on the “feeeeeel” during Vertigo.

Peterrr, Is it possible for Bono to train his voice so that he can scream a little more without losing it?

Peterrr, Is it possible for Bono to train his voice so that he can scream a little more without losing it? [/B]

I don't think so.

I think Peterr will agree.

Like somethings you're able to do with more vim and vigor in your 20s, you can't do as well in your late 40s, ask some of my gfs about my depletion of talents although you can get more creative as Bono has done.

The days of raw screaming are over, but he howls well see beginning of Streets at Slane 2001.

dbs

TheBrazilianFly said:
I'm gonna be honest, I prefer rock n' roll when its screamed out loud, like Bono used to do in the 80's, specially during the R&H period when he could scream with a lot of dirtiness on his voice but it still had a warm soulful layer to it that added a lot (and helped him on a song like Love Rescue Me). Nowadays I think he has gained even more warmness and added more feeling to his voice but a lot of times when he starts singing it sounds like a child singing, way too tame. That's irritating for me cause it has no attitude, he slowly build his voice thorough those songs though. It's fantastic what he did with SYCMIOYO and on Miss Sarajevo on the last tour though, really impressive. It seems to me that he is slowly getting back to a Roger Daltry kind of dirtiness to his voice. On lots of shows he did the scream for ABOY on the last tour. Still, I think he will never belt out with the dirtiness again. His screams are more controlled and professional now, like on the “feeeeeel” during Vertigo.

He has a lot power for the moment, like I wrote in one of my previous post the Union chapel version of Desire has the strongest "Let you go" I've heard on any version of Desire. The high falsetto in the snippet of HTH on Vertigo from 2006-11-18 - Melbourne. Kidz with Kylie was another strong performence and Rock N Roll ****** snippet on Vertigo. And also the leak version of No Line On The Horizon.

TheBrazilianFly said:
Peterrr, Is it possible for Bono to train his voice so that he can scream a little more without losing it? [/B]

There only way to scream right is to do it sometimes, and I think thats what Bono did on the songs a just wrote about. Your voice must be real warmed up before you do things like that. I think he has a lot of capacity for the moment to scream more, but If he started to do it on every song he would destroy his voice again.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the deep voice used on Streets during the JT/R&H time period could possibly make a return? I loved the performance of streets from Tempe, Arizona as well as October 20,1987 Iowa City performance of the same. Find both on youtube, but I think people know what I am talking about, especially during the chorus. Also, how close to Zoo TV streets does everyone think the last leg vertigo performances came. I personally, and Peter, you can give more insight I am sure, think Bono is very nearly back to that period in terms of power, hitting notes and overally quality of vocal performances.

U2387 said:
Anyone have any thoughts on whether the deep voice used on Streets during the JT/R&H time period could possibly make a return? I loved the performance of streets from Tempe, Arizona as well as October 20,1987 Iowa City performance of the same. Find both on youtube, but I think people know what I am talking about, especially during the chorus. Also, how close to Zoo TV streets does everyone think the last leg vertigo performances came. I personally, and Peter, you can give more insight I am sure, think Bono is very nearly back to that period in terms of power, hitting notes and overally quality of vocal performances.

If you want deep try Dying Sailor to His Shipmates, oen of his deepest ever. The hmmmmm's sounds like hmmmmm's on Pride from Jt tour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom