Did anyone see Pearl Jam open up for U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDFan

The Fly
I would love to see this again. Imagine, a U2 Pearl Jam tour. They could alternate who opened for who. I'd say two nights in each stop and alternate the opener. I don't think I would ever go to another concert. Anyway, did anyone see PJ open up for U2 in Italy? How was it?

I didn't see either, but Eddie Vedder stood directly behind me at the Elevation Vegas show and I got pictures of him. He was pretty nice and very short.

Originally posted by MDFan:
Were you on the floor? If those pictures are online, I'd like to see them.

Yep! Waited in line 10 hours to get against the rail on the inside of the Heart.

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner, so I can't post them - but they are cool nonetheless!
smile.gif

That's what I think is so cool about Pearl Jam. You'd expect them to be sitting up in the luxury box but they're still music fans themselves. Was he with anyone? I guess people weren't mobbing him or anything. I don't think a lot of people recognize him because he cut all of his hair off. Did you talk to him at all? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a big PJ fan.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
I didn't see either, but Eddie Vedder stood directly behind me at the Elevation Vegas show and I got pictures of him. He was pretty nice and very short.

is he really short? i always thought he was tall and skinny. i guess he's just skinny so that makes him look tall.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

That's what I think is so cool about Pearl Jam. You'd expect them to be sitting up in the luxury box but they're still music fans themselves. Was he with anyone? I guess people weren't mobbing him or anything. I don't think a lot of people recognize him because he cut all of his hair off. Did you talk to him at all? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a big PJ fan.

No problem, sweetie!
smile.gif

He was by himself, actually. At first, he walked into the Heart and was standing with everyone (U2 fans) and just shootin the breeze. He was holding a beer cup and an American Spirit cigarette. He had a brown hat on, with a slightly bulky brown jacket. He was chubber than I've seen in pictures and far shorter than I thought. He was very friendly and obliged all questions, photograph requests and hugs. He smiled alot and seemed genuine. He really impressed me.

Once the security guards saw that Eddie was being "mobbed," they took him in the security barrier between the pit and the Heart's catwalk. He stood directly behind me once he got into that barrier area (I was against the railing of the Heart on Edge's side).

Once I saw him get settled, I turned around and said "Hello, and that I loved his music. And that I was so happy so see him at the show." He smiled and said "Thank you." I left it at that because I didn't have much to say and wanted him to have his space.
smile.gif

What was truly neat, though, was watching him watch the concert. During "Bad" and some other songs, his bright blue-green eyes would well up with tears, and he'd look down and light a cig. It was cool. Sometimes, when Bono was on the catwalk in front of us, I was able to have two of my heroes (Bono and Eddie) within 1 foot of me - which is very odd and very cool! I loved watching Eddie react to the show. He rocked out and had a great time.

We all did. It was a mind-bogglingly beautiful show.

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 01-13-2002).]

What was truly neat, though, was watching him watch the concert. During "Bad" and some other songs, his bright blue-green eyes would well up with tears, and he'd look down and light a cig. It was cool. Sometimes, when Bono was on the catwalk in front of us, I was able to have two of my heroes (Bono and Eddie) within 1 foot of me - which is very odd and very cool! I loved watching Eddie react to the show. He rocked out and had a great time.

Wow! Great story. Thanks.

OMG Hello Angel!!! Your soooooo LUCKY! Pearl Jam is my other obsession! I love Eddie!! Awww, thanks for sharing that with us! I *so* want to see those pics!!

Awwww, Eddie had like tears?
frown.gif
Awww Eddie!! You so lucky, you had Eddie and Bono right there! I would Kill for that! WOW!

Oh to the orginal Q, I wish I had seen PJ open for U2! If there was a PJ/U2 tour I would absolutely die!!

------------------
"Rhythm is the sex of music" - Edge

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 01-13-2002).]

Did anyone in the band recognize him?

Hi again!
biggrin.gif

I didn't notice Bono recognize Eddie. But it could've been one of two things - Bono knew he was there beforehand (they're longtime friends - the BP Fallon book has great PJ/U2 pics!) and wanted to help Eddie keep his anonymity, or, Bono didn't know at all and just didn't recognize him. I didn't notice any non-verbal communication betweeen them - but believe me, I was lookin!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Another cute thing was when Bono would stand right in front of us to play to the crowd, Eddie would just smile from ear to ear. He was beaming. He seems to truly love Bono and was totally rockin' out to the show. When a real rockin tune like Streets or Bullet would come on, Eddie would do that thing when he rocks out by bowing his head and just shakin it from side-to-side just like on Unplugged or the Even Flo video.

It was wayyy cool to be near Eddie and get an idea of what's he's like as John Q. Public and not as a rock star. He seems real nice and not (for lack of a better word) jaded by his position in life. Yay for Eddie. He seems to be worth the admiration that he inspires. His eyes are luminous, btw
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 01-13-2002).]

Hi again!
biggrin.gif

I didn't notice Bono recognize Eddie. But it could've been one of two things - Bono knew he was there beforehand (they're longtime friends - the BP Fallon book has great PJ/U2 pics!) and wanted to help Eddie keep his anonymity, or, Bono didn't know at all and just didn't recognize him. I didn't notice any non-verbal communication betweeen them - but believe me, I was lookin!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Another cute thing was when Bono would stand right in front of us to play to the crowd, Eddie would just smile from ear to ear. He was beaming. He seems to truly love Bono and was totally rockin' out to the show. When a real rockin tune like Streets or Bullet would come on, Eddie would do that thing when he rocks out by bowing his head and just shakin it from side-to-side just like on Unplugged or the Even Flo video.

It was wayyy cool to be near Eddie and get an idea of what's he's like as John Q. Public and not as a rock star. He seems real nice and not (for lack of a better word) jaded by his position in life. Yay for Eddie. He seems to be worth the admiration that he inspires. His eyes are luminous, btw
wink.gif

Awwwwww, Eddie seems like a nice guy. All the people that i've talked that have met all say he's very cool!

Damn it your so lucky to have been so close to him! I would have died! hehehe

------------------

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by david:
is he really short? i always thought he was tall and skinny. i guess he's just skinny so that makes him look tall.

I can confirm Mr. Vedder's short stature, having met him in 1998.(I'd guess 5'6" or 5'7")
Its amazing how your perspective of seeing people onstage can make you think they are larger than life, when so many seem to be rather short in reality.

haha. I saw him when he was ushered into the security belt area. But as I am not a PJ fan (don't dislike them, just am ambivalent) I wouldn't know what ANY of the guys in that band look like.
biggrin.gif
So, I was thinking to myself..."geez, I wonder who that is. He doesn't "look" like a photographer. Looks vaguely familiar. hmm. oh well." And left it at that. Of course, later on I found out it was Eddie Vedder. lmao.
tongue.gif

My Vedder story:
I met him off at their show in Philly, during the opener Sonic Youth, he was walking from the stage to the back. Not many people noticed him jump off the end of the stage by the mixing booth.....anyway, I went after him! 'Hey Ed!' 'Ed!' When I got to him he turned and said, 'No, fuck this, I'm just trying to take a walk here, ok?' I was a little stunned, but understood him.....(he wanted anonymity, privacy)....so he politely shook my hand and smiled and kept walking to the back.
It was great tho.....he is short and has very blue eyes and a weak handshake (probably translating into 'leave me the fuck alone') ....
Vedder vs. Bono.
I'll take Vedder.

As much as I love Pearl Jam (and I do) I think it wil be a cold day in hell when we see U2 ever open up for them.

Whoa...
Hold your hostility there...
"It would be a cold day in hell before..."
Why the need for a comment like that?
We were just having fun with the notion of Pearl Jam and U2 touring together like they did back in 1993...
It's funny...ever notice that it's the fans that make it into some of competition of "Who's better" whereas the artist simply don't give a flying fuck and just enjoy each other's company?
On to more positive stuff....
Thanks to HelloAngel for the wonderful Eddie story....it would it even be more amazing if you could hook up with a scanner and posts those pics....I'm drooling at the thought!!
LMFAO!!
OH and LMFAO @ the story of Bono taking Eddie onstage....whether it's true or not..who knows...but I thought it was sweet.
I'm a fan of U2 since 1983 and Pearl Jam since 1992....and I always thought they were friends...now it's just great to hear that he was there rocking to U2....I think Bono, in many ways, is Eddie's idol...
Very sweet stories here...
And Eddie really does have luminous eyes...probably the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen...and to see him crying to songs like Bad must have been moving....I know I myself probably would have started bawling if I saw Eddie crying....
HelloAngel...LOL...this is coming from a HUGE Pearl Jam fan....you just have NO idea how lucky you are to be so close to Eddie and Bono at the same time....you lucky fucker...LMFAO!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

***SIGH***

I was in the heart of vegas as well, but had no idea that he was there until after the show was over.

MDFan, I'll give you some props because I grew up in Laurel (just moved away from there 6 months ago), but come on now, U2 opening for anyone? I think PJ is great, when I saw them in Columbia afew years back they were awesome, but U2 is tops and I think PJ opening for them makes for a kick ass show, but could you really get pumped for seeing another band right after U2?

------------------

Originally posted by mmmBono:

And Eddie really does have luminous eyes...probably the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen...and to see him crying to songs like Bad must have been moving....I know I myself probably would have started bawling if I saw Eddie crying....
HelloAngel...LOL...this is coming from a HUGE Pearl Jam fan....you just have NO idea how lucky you are to be so close to Eddie and Bono at the same time....you lucky fucker...LMFAO!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

***SIGH***

*sigh* I agree with everything you said!!! I wuv Eddie!

------------------

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 01-14-2002).]

Ahhhhh...
This PJ/U2 talk is giving me the proverbial orgasm...ahh...Eddie and Bono...Bono and Eddie...it just can't get any better than that!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

BonoEddie.jpg

I know what you mean! LOL

Anywho, Yes, I agree, YIEL is a must!! I can't decide if Yield or Ten is my fav! LOL But definitely get YIELD!

------------------

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I dont understand this.....

this thread was supposed to have 39 posts here but I can only count 23 posts....

so whats going on here? has some posts been deleted or what?

from a very annoyed interferencer,
dougal

Ahhhh...
Thank you, Monica for that picture...
That one I could stare at for hours and not find one ounce of boredom in that activity...LOL!!!
Great pic...finally someone posted a pic of the 2 together!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

***SIGH***
((((MONICA))))
PS...I've noticed alot of posts missing...good ones too!! There was one from a girl in Italy who saw those PJ/U2 shows back in 1993.....hmmmmm...where are those posts? I didn't think there was anything offensive in there...oh well...

I would love to see this again. Imagine, a U2 Pearl Jam tour. They could alternate who opened for who. I'd say two nights in each stop and alternate the opener. I don't think I would ever go to another concert. Anyway, did anyone see PJ open up for U2 in Italy? How was it?

I don't think PJ would ever deign to have U2 open for them, because they all seem like such humble guys. Also, who the hell could follow U2?
smile.gif

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Hey HelloAngel...
If you see this..hopefully you do...LOL..
You have to tell us more about Eddie's reactions to the show....like:
Which songs made him cry?
How long did you watch him for?
OH do tell!!!
I wanna know EVERYTHING!! LMFAO!!
You just don't understand how lucky you are to have those 2 dreamboats in front of you!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

I think I would have just about died...good thing you were there instead of me...LOL...just honestly I just don't know what I would have done!!!!
So if u see this, Hello Angel...gimme da goods on everything you saw...please oh please!!
Which songs did he cry to, other than Bad?
Thanks in advance!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

***SIGH***

Ahhhh...
Thank you, Monica for that picture...
That one I could stare at for hours and not find one ounce of boredom in that activity...LOL!!!
Great pic...finally someone posted a pic of the 2 together!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

***SIGH***
((((MONICA))))

LOL Your Welcome!! I know what you mean, I sometimes stare at the pic for a long time too!
biggrin.gif
LOL

Yes, HelloAngel, we need more details! I wanna know what songs made Eddie
icon9.gif
! Awwww, he cried.

mmmBono, I'm with yah, I don't know what I would have done if I had Eddie that close to me! And then Bono MY GAWD! *passes out* hehehe.

You know I talk to other PJ fans online and some say how "weird" Eddie looks cause she shaved his head... ARGH I want to see pics of him with his bald head! That is like one of my missions! LOL I so need help, but when it comes to U2 and PJ or Eddie and Bono... I kinda lose it!
biggrin.gif

------------------

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Back
Top Bottom