Did anyone else think that we would never hear music like this again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
I am completely in shock over the Night/Day difference in the quality of this record compared to the last one. And now with 'mercy' and the loop of 'fast cars', I can't believe how brilliant it all is. I was not expecting this and was prepared to never hear the likes of it again from these guys. Did anyone else feel the same way?

Come on its U2...what else can we expect? 25 solid years...unreal hey?

Its cool i just played the cd for 2 "sort of" U2 fans, and they were completely blown away!!!

Well, yes, I expected to hear this quality. U2 have made their legend by always doing the opposite of what's expected. The logical expectation by most would be that U2 would continue the atylb route and make another safe unadventerous record. So obviously they'll do the oppostie and give us a brilliant record instead. So, yes, I expected it.

So that's why in 2000, when everyone was expecting something great, they put out ATYCLB. I finally understand.

yes, I'm very happy at the reaction by non-u2 fans as well. I've never been the type of u2 fan that needs to spread the word of u2 to my friends, if they like them cool, if not, i could care less. But if you hang around me, you're bound to hear u2 all the time. So i've been playing the album nonstop in my room since i downloaded, and every person that has stopped by my place has had nothing but good things to say about it. And most of them are hip hop fans or don't really listen to u2. And some of them are those typical fans who say "oh, u2? Ya, their ok" but go and buy their albums the day they come out. :wink: But as for my friends that love u2, they all agree its brilliant.

i know that this is not the place to say this but i am possessed by a man and a woman

Edge's backing vocals on this track put me in a trance of sorts. Yet its a trance in which I cannot stop my body from moving.

But back on the topic...
I had hoped that they would change things up a bit after "winning back" that fan base with ATYCLB. But my fear was that they could no longer pull it off.

Today I was trying to learn my non-u2-fan friend how to play Vertigo on the guitar.
He was so happy when he got it (well, it's pretty simple :wink: )!
And guess what... so was I.. :wink:

bedouin fire said:
i know that this is not the place to say this but i am possessed by a man and a woman

Not being familiar with the names of songs on the album (yes, i am living far far away with little news and haven't heard the album), I took a real double-take at this sentence. :lol:

It's funny, the songs are actually the polar opposite of what I'm into right now (dark electronica and NIN). I didn't think I'd like, never mind love this record before it came out, when I sat with it last Saturday when it leaked that stone heart that I went into with record with just melted away and I really gave into the songs. I think it's the most fluient piece of work they've done since AB.

The one thing, just the one, I'd change is the last two track, I'd bin OOTS and Yahweh and put Fast Cars and Mercy in place of them as they're much more up my street. That's about it, it's a stunner of an album, well done boys.

If you remove ATYCLB (for me) they've had a flawless run records in my humble opinion.

After POP, I thought U2 would never be THE U2 again. ATYCLB was a struggle to erase the memory of POP - so while it showed some sings of a return to greatness with a return to Joshua Tree like sounds --- the remnants of POP were still so prevalent and this is what prevented ATYCLB from being THE album. Now, they have fully erased any remnanets of POP, and HTDAAB is the first POP-free U2 album since POP. Ok so LAPOE has a few Mofo elements in it, but that's about it. It's a filler song anyway and the other 10 tracks are just brilliant without a taint of POP. So now here is U2, back to making the music they are capable of making.

Cheers,

J

LemonMelon said:
How about putting them ALL on the album? Ever thought of that? :eyebrow:

Fillers are fillers, you skip them anyway so why have them there? I'd just bin the last two and replace them with the superior Fast Cars and Mercy (that's just my opinion of course). I don't listen to OOTS and Yahweh, they just don't do it for me.

I would love to have seen "mercy" on the album, maybe cut down a little bit and worked on furthur. I think it has the making of a brilliant song. Also, I like what I hear on "Fast Cars" too. But I wouldnt cut any of the songs on the record, their all strong. OOTS is a brilliant song, I think I would have liked it even more if it was a little more basic, but its great and "Yahweh" is a perfect closer. 13 Tracks. :wink:

It's very simple....NO ATYCLB...no HTDAAB....ATYCLB had to be what it was for us to have this one.....and, yes, I thought ATYCLB was brilliant because it is U2 letting people "behind the curtain" of U2. They were very effective in what they accomplished (14 million copies sold). After the mystery, (and IMO, brilliance of POP), it was necessary to unshroud the mystery and be wide open with ATYCLB.

I haven't heard HTDAAB yet (I love torture) but it is my opinion that some people in here may even start criticizing that one after all the excitement wears off. U2's fans are tough critics!! What more do you want from the greatest band in the world??? Only the best....and they seem to deliver EVERY time.

Back
Top Bottom