did ABOY fizzle as single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet353

War Child
ABOY is definitely played on the radio in Los Angles, but it seems to have fizzled. Did it have an impact? There is a station in L.A> INDIE 103.1 (streamed online; I highly recomend it--best radio ever) and they aren't even playing it anymore opting for SYCMIOYO which isn't even the official single in the U.S. Granted this station had "Fast Cars" in mildly heavy rotation for a while so they do go to the beat of their own drum, but it just seems that ABOY kinda went under the radar...

While ABoY may still do well as a single when it's released in Europe, Asia and Australia, it didn't do well at all in the U.S. And I think that's because U2's marketing team basically released the song and then abandoned it completely. There was NO push whatsoever for this song - even by U2.

"Sometimes..." got a push in the U.K. with three CD singles for just 6 pounds. The video coincided with the release. U2 performed "Sometimes..." on several TV shows, including SNL and, of course, the Grammy Awards. That's some pretty heavy promotion.

"Vertigo", as we all know, was heavily pushed. The iPod/iTunes commercial was about the best advertisement ever - and it was "free" from U2's perspective. But the song and video were also heavily promoted by the marketing team and U2 (again, more TV exposure, push on radio stations, etc.).

In contrast, ABoY was basically left to sink or swim. I saw no evidence of it being promoted at radio stations. I saw no push in terms of CD singles (in Canada). U2 never performed this song on TV. There were a token few snippets of the song played here and there but not enough for the average consumer to know that this is the new U2 song.

It's really a shame - I thought ABoY could be a great hit for U2. It's short, catchy and perfect for radio. But instead, it's suffering the same fate as many other great U2 songs in the U.S. from 1993 and on. It appears on a few charts, but never cracks the Hot 100 and disappears...

all because of you is my favorite song on the album, im disappointed to see it not do that well in the US, but hey, i'll live. it's a great song.

I'm one who personally doesn't care for "All Because Of You". But now the video...downtown NY...all the way to under the Brooklyn bridge...that was EXCELLENT!!! They did an "excellent" video...to a "not so-ooo liked" song. Oh well...go figure.....

I heard "sometimes" on the radio here in D.C. yesterday, and they DJ said "here's the new one from u2." I think they might release it in the US very soon because of a.) the grammy performance buzz b.) ABOY hasnt done that well.

ABOY is still #2 on the radio's top 30 thing ... right behind Boulevard of Broken Dreams.. and I believe it's fan voted... so it's doing well up here...

MsMofoGone said:
I'm one who personally doesn't care for "All Because Of You". But now the video...downtown NY...all the way to under the Brooklyn bridge...that was EXCELLENT!!! They did an "excellent" video...to a "not so-ooo liked" song. Oh well...go figure.....

Agreed

doctorwho said:
While ABoY may still do well as a single when it's released in Europe, Asia and Australia, it didn't do well at all in the U.S. And I think that's because U2's marketing team basically released the song and then abandoned it completely. There was NO push whatsoever for this song - even by U2.

"Sometimes..." got a push in the U.K. with three CD singles for just 6 pounds. The video coincided with the release. U2 performed "Sometimes..." on several TV shows, including SNL and, of course, the Grammy Awards. That's some pretty heavy promotion.

"Vertigo", as we all know, was heavily pushed. The iPod/iTunes commercial was about the best advertisement ever - and it was "free" from U2's perspective. But the song and video were also heavily promoted by the marketing team and U2 (again, more TV exposure, push on radio stations, etc.).

In contrast, ABoY was basically left to sink or swim. I saw no evidence of it being promoted at radio stations. I saw no push in terms of CD singles (in Canada). U2 never performed this song on TV. There were a token few snippets of the song played here and there but not enough for the average consumer to know that this is the new U2 song.

It's really a shame - I thought ABoY could be a great hit for U2. It's short, catchy and perfect for radio. But instead, it's suffering the same fate as many other great U2 songs in the U.S. from 1993 and on. It appears on a few charts, but never cracks the Hot 100 and disappears...

Xactly... song was not pushed, died out relatively quickly. Hopefully, SYCMIOYO will b given the attention it deserves.

I'm a fellow Southern Californian too, KROQ and KLOS have been playing "City of Blinding Lights" a lot more lately, with no edits.

I heard "City" today in fact.

I'm not complaining, as it's my fave off the new one. :)

Here in Albuquerque, a weird bastian of pro U2 FM radio, Vertigo is still getting signifigant airplay, All Because of You is getting mild airplay and seems to be declining, and Sometimes is becoming the mainstay of the U2 current canon. Kind of got skipped right over.

Haven't yet heard much of the deep album cuts like City...

Last week, ABOY was at # 11 on VH1. This week, at # 9 Not too shabby! :)

Val said:
Last week, ABOY was at # 11 on VH1. This week, at # 9 Not too shabby! :)

Sorry...but that doesn't count...because the video is what's at number 9...not the song itself. Like I stated earlier...they did an "EXCELLENT" video... to a not so-ooo liked song...

Oh well...Go figure...:scratch: :scratch:

ABOY rocks!!!

But I don't think it's a radio song for pop Hot 40 radio.
That song is perfect for a particular scene in the movie "American Beauty". It's the scene when Kevin Spacey starts jogging to that great Who song. If you replace that Who song for ABOY, it would be perfect. Remember, the movie is about an middle age guy who rediscovers his mojo after meeting a young girl. ABOY would be the great theme for this movie.

Check out Peeling off those Dollar Bills for ABOY chart history

ABOY made the top 10 on Modern Rock Tracks & the Top 20 on Mainstream Rock Tracks. It's still hanging around on those charts. It has been #1 in Canada for 2 consecutive weeks. It didn't have the Vertigo effect, but ABOY did OK, and it IS STILL rising up all three video charts; MTV-14, VH1-9, Much Musice-14.

Re: Check out Peeling off those Dollar Bills for ABOY chart history

beLIEve said:
ABOY made the top 10 on Modern Rock Tracks & the Top 20 on Mainstream Rock Tracks. It's still hanging around on those charts. It has been #1 in Canada for 2 consecutive weeks. It didn't have the Vertigo effect, but ABOY did OK, and it IS STILL rising up all three video charts; MTV-14, VH1-9, Much Musice-14.

Thanks for the info... I myself think that this fizzle talk is too premature. It won;t beat Vertigo, but I don't think fizzle is quite the appropriate term for it...

Meh, I really don't care it's a decent song but aslong as I have my U2 albums I couldn't give a fiddler's

ramblin rose said:
The video is still plugging along. Up one spot to # 8 on this weeks top 20 countdown.

Well, guess what..... not anymore!!!!!!
This week it fell 4 spots........Now, it's down to number 12...

Let's keep our fingers-crossed for "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" to "make it up the countdown chart"...because
"All Because Of You" is gonna "sink" now, and maybe the video will "re-surface" when the tour gets going... ( but if not, it's no
"big loss" for us. anyway!!!! ) :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom