Detailed description of some new songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
From u2lightmyway.free.fr:
A girl called Claire went to Dublin. She was in Bono's car, where she listened to 2 songs from the new album. And 2 more outside the studio couple of days later. I understood something from the translator program:
"- the first one is very rock and roll. Big guitar sounds. There is a "hello hello" before the refrain(something like that).
- the second one is more pop. Reminds me of Beautiful Day. I understood one lyric: "You're as beautiful as a picture"
- the third is a song which could be a b-side. Dry guitar in a "Wild Honey" style. The refrain: "All I want is a picture of you/All I want is to be right next to you", followed by "picture in a pocket...", and then something that rhymes(ends with "ette")
- the fourth was All Because of You with a slightly different refrain"
Is there anyone who can translate this more accurately?
P.S. Something else from the report:
Supposedly the album will have 10-11 songs. The CD which Bono played in his car had 11 titles and outside the studio the next day they heard 10 songs. One time there was a song which could have been a bside because it was played many times(It wasn't finished yet).
There is a confusion here because other sources have said there were 12 songs.

Last edited:
it's just weird, and once again, the "doubting thomas" in me just doesn't believe that Bono actually picked strangers up and drove them around. there are a lot of strange people out there, and i personally refuse to let anyone that i haven't met ride in my car.

Well, there are three different reports that say the same. So... I think these reports are genuine. But, this is my least favorite among them. The "Wild Honey" song scares me, for example. And I still believe that the album will have 12 songs. The 11-song CD which Bono had in his car is not the new album for sure. I mean, he couldn't find Xanax and Wine/Miracle Drug on it! Which is reportedly a very, very good song.

"You're as beautiful as a picture"? :(

I hope this girl either misheard things or is making it up, because the lyrics she "quotes" sound horribly cliched.

Last edited:
mikal said:
it's just weird, and once again, the "doubting thomas" in me just doesn't believe that Bono actually picked strangers up and drove them around. there are a lot of strange people out there, and i personally refuse to let anyone that i haven't met ride in my car.

He's been doing that for years, however ill-advised. There have been many, many stories from dozens of fans about getting rides in his car, and some have even had the photos to prove it, taken inside his car, with him at the wheel. He doesn't seem very concerned about his personal safety in Dublin, as he's always without a bodyguard. I guess he's a good judge of character, and wouldn't offer a lift to anyone he thought was dodgy. He chats with them first. Lucky fans!! (What I can't believe is that one of the girls the other night actually said no to his offer. That's just nuts!)

biff said:
He doesn't seem very concerned about his personal safety in Dublin, as he's always without a bodyguard.

From the stories I read, not having a bodyguard is not what makes Bono not concerned about his personal safety. It's his driving that's apparently the biggest worry for those in his car. :)

Popmartijn said:

It's his driving that's apparently the biggest worry for those in his car. :)
Yes, that's apparently true. Maybe that girl had a good reason for saying no to his offer of a ride, with the thought of Bono at the wheel of a Maserati just too terrifying--but hell, you only live once. I would have leapt at the chance.

Bono's shades, I totally agree. These "lyrics" are terrible. That is something else that bothers me from the report.

lets just relax about the lyrics before we see them printed inthe little handbook that comes with the cd in november

Even if those are actual lyrics, I wouldn't get too hyper about it just yet. I mean, come on...look at some great songs out there. Are the lyrics always that great? Though lyrics sometimes can be really powerful, sometimes you have to judge a song by the whole package.

No, it wasn't the translation. The lyrics were posted on English originally. Weren't you on the site?

djerdap said:
No, it wasn't the translation. The lyrics were posted on English originally. Weren't you on the site?

No, I personally was going by your description, and your comment, "I understood something from the translator program".
This indicated to me that you had used a translator program on this report. :scratch:

Though lyrics sometimes can be really powerful, sometimes you have to judge a song by the whole package.

Agree. I also believe that if I were sitting shotgun in Bono's car I probably wouldn't have the most accurate description of the songs. Hell, in that situation God could have been giving me a detailed report on the end of the world and I wouldn't have remembered much;)
I simply want a new u2 album - in my mind the lyrics could be as plain as "a mole, diggin in a hole..." oops that has been done hasn't it?"

Last edited:
nurse chrissi said:

Agree. I also believe that if I were sitting shotgun in Bono's car I probably wouldn't have the most accurate description of the songs. Hell, in that situation God could have been giving me a detailed report on the end of the world and I wouldn't have remembered much;)
I simply want a new u2 album - in my mind the lyrics could be as plain as "a mole, diggin in a hole..." oops that has been done hasn't it?"
:laugh: I have to agree with you! I don't think I'd be able to remember my own name in that situation! I would definitely have Bono-induced amnesia after that.

The world could have come to an end & I would never know the difference if I was sitting shotgun in Bonos' maserat!i

I'm de-lurking to help translate :)

On the number of songs: She says she thinks that there'll be 10 or 11 songs on the new album, not more. The CD in Bono's car only had 11 tracks. During the Thursday afternoon she spent outside the studio, they played only 10 songs for the fans. One song that she heard on the Saturday she was there might be a b-side.

On 2 songs she heard in Bono's car: The first one was very rock and sounded very much like how Bono had described the album in interviews - very "punk rock". She only remembers a "Hello hello" part which came in the chorus. The second song was more pop-ish, a little like Beautiful Day. She only recalls the "you are as beautiful as a picture" part; that part stood out because it wasn't very good.

On 2 songs she heard Saturday 03/07: The song that she thinks might be a b-side sounded kinda like Wild Honey, and they could dance to it. The chorus was, "All I want is a picture of you/All I want is to be right next to you," followed by something like, "picture in a pocket/picture in a ...et" (something that rhymes with "ette"). The second song was All Because of You, but the chorus sort of rhymed in "ain", like "it all began again" for example. (Note: I didn't really understand what she meant here, I might be wrong.)

On the album cover: She saw Steve Averill and Shaughn McGrath of Four5One during the time she was there. They were carrying an envelope that must have had the new cover design inside.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks so much, but I think we had already understood all of that, except for the X-Ray eyes bit about the envelope containing the new cover design. Thanks for that insight!!:wink:

eruditz said:
I'm de-lurking to help translate :)

Haha, I'd seen you around, I was wondering if you were going to post! Nice to see you here.

On 2 songs she heard in Bono's car: The first one was very rock and sounded very much like how Bono had described the album in interviews - very "punk rock". She only remembers a "Hello hello" part which came in the chorus.

Hmm ... is her copy of Boy missing the sixth track?

I hope those reported lyrics are not true ...

Thanks so much, but I think we had already understood all of that, except for the X-Ray eyes bit about the envelope containing the new cover design.

Heh. Yeah, I guess. I just thought I'd put my french skills to use and translate it properly. :shrug:

Hmm ... is her copy of Boy missing the sixth track?

*waves to Axver* I know, right?

heard these were some rumored lyrics on the new album...

"a lilac against the elements"

As the ripple in the pond
caste out by the stone
You've pillaged my existence
and left me here alone

A shrouded cloud dangles over me
playing a marionette upon his thin stings
He stands like a scarecrow upon the fork
directing me towards my destiny's crossings

She has turned my world upside-down
now a new path I must choose
The comfort of yesterday forgotten
this future is all I have left to lose

Yet in these battered hands I forge
through these arteries I craft a new course
In ashes burying my redemption
I am releasing my remorse

[Pre-Chorus]
My body dances towards a haven
weightless on a drift ever higher
Like a kite that comes crashing
I was cut by the wire

[Chorus]
For love to blossom and bloom
For a soul to not wither and die
Like a lilac against the elements
I've got to hold on and surivive
a lilac against the elements

Can you linger on my illusion
stuck in a spiral of the vertigo
The dizzy infliction
leaves me desolate on this plateau

Kiss me with the kindness
that addicts me to your heart
filled with nicotine of love
as your cancerous tar tears us apart

Linger on the love
that lasts on a brittle wing
Faster her feathered flight
I'm weary of this perceptual chasing

[Pre-Chorus]
My body dances towards a haven
weightless on a drift ever higher
Like a kite that comes crashing
I was cut by the wire

[Chorus]
For love to blossom and bloom
For a soul to not wither and die
Like a lilac against the elements
I've got to hold on and surivive
a lilac against the elements

Trickling deep into the soil
bled from the stains upon my hands
A lifeless autumn will drain into spring
illuminating fidelity in these wastelands

Dues of the past will rust
then erode away anew
In the morning I will awaken
alive and rescued

by Chris Egan

... or just something I wrote haha.

"On 2 songs she heard Saturday 03/07: The song that she thinks might be a b-side sounded kinda like Wild Honey, and they could dance to it. The chorus was,

"All I want is a picture of you/All I want is to be right next to you," followed by something like, "picture in a pocket/picture in a ...et" (something that rhymes with "ette")."

sprocket?
locket?
rocket?
socket?

eruditz said:
On 2 songs she heard in Bono's car: The first one was very rock and sounded very much like how Bono had described the album in interviews - very "punk rock". She only remembers a "Hello hello" part which came in the chorus

Hello, hello, it's good to be back, it's good to be back...

Back
Top Bottom