Desire Live - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Desire Live

Hola amigos

I have a question, my friends

WHY THE HELL "DESIRE" HAS BEEN PERFORMED SO WEAK LIVE, WITHOUT ENERGY, WITHOUT PASSION, WITHOUT ATTITUDE, ETC, SINCE ZOO TV TOUR ?

I´ve listen so, so many versions of this song, and I still don´t understand why the only one great versions of this song were performed on Lovetown Tour . Since Zoo TV tour, every version is a real shame. Just listen the talked Zoo TV version, the horrible acoustic Pop Mart and Elevation versions, and this one from TOPS recently. The crowd was fantastic, but the band keep playing the song without full instruments, just a boring guitar and sticks, that sounds terrible.

Is really a shame, since I love, I really love studio version, is so, so great, and is pretty simple to perfom live, just drums, bass, one acoustic and one electric guitar, and harmonica at the end...THAT´S ALL, so why U2 can´t perform this song well ????

Old 10-20-2004, 09:03 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 07:49 PM
The ZooTV version was incredible (but then, so were the ZooTV versions of just about every song).

The acoustic version of Desire was cool when they first did it on Popmart, but doing the same basic thing on Elevation (a few minor tweaks) is too much of the same thing.

Either come up with another new, original version of the song, or, give it a break this tour.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
Refugee

Give me a break! As much as I'd like to see them perform it with full instruments, I would not call the toned down version terrible!

It's not acoustic either.

My opinion on why they play a toned down version on recent tours is this: It comes after a nice series of high energy songs, and the audience and maybe the band needs a little break. It's still a break that most fans love. The slower portion of the setlist gives fans some cool down time (exciting cool down time in the case of Desire) and prepares the audience for the big bangers coming up in the setlist.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:49 PM
I like the acoustic version done on Popmart and the semi acoustic version done on Elevation. However, I agree that the full blown versions done on Lovetown and even Zoo were far superior. Only one word describes the Lovetown (especially the Australian leg) version of Desire. AWESOME It just kicks ass. If they elect to play Desire again on the upcoming tour my hope would be that they return to something like the Lovetown version. They can choose another song to tone down and use in the mid point break of the show. We need a full blown, guitar and drums version of Desire from the main stage.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 09:49 PM
Terrible ... no i can't really say that i find it terrible. Actually i've been quite fond of the Elevation version, and you can really see that the guys are having fun. Love that version!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:40 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I agree with the original post, and have said similar things in the past. the semi-acoustic, mid-show version of desire on the last 2 tours sucks, and needs to be retired immediately, if only because there are about 100 other tunes to better fill it's place. the fact that they still played the half assed version last week at TOTP makes me think it's here to stay, which is too bad.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:45 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:49 PM
I liked the TOTP performance
Old 10-20-2004, 10:24 AM   #8
War Child

BTW, I've never heard the Lovetown version everyone is raving about...can anyone post a link?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:49 PM
I dunno, I don't think it really matters. There are about 18 other songs played live that get full blown powerful performances and are deserving of it that Desire.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by david
I dunno, I don't think it really matters. There are about 18 other songs played live that get full blown powerful performances and are deserving of it that Desire.
Totally agree. I like the toned down version myself. Not better than full-blown but it works well for me. I see the toned down version as more soulful while the full version rocks out. Both are good.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #11
Refugee

i like all the versions so far and for different reasons. as far as a favorite its a tie between the zootv version and the lovetown version. i really like macphisto speaking the verses.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:42 AM   #12
New Yorker

TOTP edge was great but bono sounds like shit

where is his voice? oh ya he left it on the JT tour!