Desire/Hawkmoon/RTSS - Cologne (12th July 2001)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgoth321

Acrobat
At this show, U2 played a unique and amazing version of ‘Desire’, which featured extended snippets from ‘Hawkmoon 269’ and ‘Running To Stand Still’. I’ve heard that Bono was handed lyrics for the other two songs from someone in the crowd, and decided to give impromptu renditions. Can anyone provide more details on the precise circumstances, or if any band member has ever commented on this most unusual medley (either on the night, or since)? On the recording I’ve got, Bono says something illegible before launching into the Hawkmoon lyrics.

I think it’s reasonable to say that U2 aren’t often noted for in-concert musical spontaneity, so something like this is certainly worthy of a bit of discussion.

I was there, I had to listen to it again to see if I remembered what exactly happened.
But I'm sorry to say, I don't even know for sure if someone passed him the Hawkmoon lyrics or not. :reject:

It's not thàt unusual for them to play something un-rehearsed (there are a few Party girl performances to show for that ;) )

At the beginning of Desire, he said what he usually said to introduce Desire: "this is a song about blind ambition,like it should be" and then he asks '...."ve got the lyrics?"

I gave RTSS some thought and maybe he inserted that as another memory to Herman Brood.
A few songs before Desire he dedicated In a little while to him.
Brood was a Dutch singer/painter who killed himself the day before.
And he was known as a heroine addict (Bono even said in his address that he was a junky as mush as a gentleman.)
So, maybe that thought was still running through his mind.
But that is pure speculation on my account tho :reject:

Another thing I DO remember (although I was way up on the side) was, during The Fly (I think), Bono usually went into the crowd, or at least partially hanging over them.
Well, he was hanging over and some one must have grabbed him in the wrong place, cus all of a sudden I could actually see (and hear) him knocking around with his microphone :ohmy:
I remember thinking, WTF is he doing? :lol:

You could really hear it through the mike, that was so weird, but understandable. If you got no other way of defending yourself :)

I’ve heard that Bono was handed lyrics for the other two songs from someone in the crowd, and decided to give impromptu renditions.
i was there and its true. someone gave him a paper...but i don't know about the matter of the paper.

Back
Top Bottom