Depeche Mode and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Depeche Mode and U2 seem to have a zillion similarities...atleast in my eyes. Is anyone interested in discussing them?

I can list a few:
- Jesus references
- the music videos. Anton Corbijn directed many vids of both bands.
- techno infused rock

My top 2 favorite bands. Although i really didn't like DM's last album. I actually don't think they're that similar. Besides their longetivity and the Anton Corbjn connection, there aren't many similarities.

Dm is not as big as U2, but they do have a huge cult following.

U2 favorite album : Achtung Baby
DM Favorite Album : Violator

I got into depeche mode after listening to 'I Feel You'. I prefer their dark techno-rock style a la '86-'98 to the pop synth techno of the early 80s. Havent heard any of their albums in their entirety. Thinking of getting the 2 greatest hits collections. They seem to be great value for money.

I feel you is a great song. Songs of Faith and devtion is my 2nd fav DM album. Those days were great. I had achtung baby-Zooropa and this great album to enjoy.

I find that most DM fans are also great U2 fans. But because DM is not a known as U2, the same is not true the other way around.

I guess if you've never heard a full album, buying the best of is your best option. I suggest you give a listen to Music For The Masses aswell, that's another terrific album.

There are other DM fans in this forum aswell, they lurk around and sometimes come out.

Too bad their latest album wasn't as good as their previous work. I was really pumped up for this album and the tour. On top of that, DM came here to MOntreal a couple of days after U2's first Elevation stop. Unfortunately, they played ALOT of new material, so it wasn't what I expected.

But U2s concert more than made up for DMs bland showing.

I don't know much about Depeche Mode, but I absolutely LOVE the songs, "Enjoy the Silence" and "Just Can't Get Enough."

I am a huge Depeche fan as well; they are definitely in my Top 5. However, I feel that ULTRA was average, and Exciter was awful. Hopefully they can regain their greatness on the next album.

DM was great on tour

I saw DM I think sometime in the summer of 2001 on the exciter tour. It was a pretty good performance but bad seats at MSG. They pretty much played all the hits and I think only 'Dream On' from the new album. Man, I'm a bigger fan of U2 but have already seen DM in concert and not yet U2. :confused: Its freakin close to impossible to get tickets for the elevation tour. They got sold out like gas masks during a tear gas attack.

I saw them at MSG in 2001 as well,and I thought the show was very uneven beacuse when they played the material off Exciter (with the exception of Dream On) the crowd went to sleep.

ultraviolet353 said:
I saw them at MSG in 2001 as well,and I thought the show was very uneven beacuse when they played the material off Exciter (with the exception of Dream On) the crowd went to sleep.

Exactly how it felt here in the concert in Montreal. Everyone was pumped and screaming when they were playing their old hits and Dream On, but when they played the rest of the album, it was brutal. And the worst thing is, they played like 9 songs from this album.

9 songs!!! It was OK when U2 did it for the Zoo TV tour, every song in there is a classic, but Exciter was no achtung baby.

I am a big fan of Depeche Mode. I particularly love their work from '84-'98. My personal favorite DM album is Ultra. I know it's not one of their most popular, but I just love It's No Good, Home, Barrel of a Gun, Uselink, and Insight. Songs of Faith and Devotion is a close 2nd. Exciter wasn't such a hot album. The only song I really enjoyed from it was I Am You. I plug DM whenever I can at parties that I mix at, especially Enjoy the Silence, Shake the Disease, Everything Counts, Halo, and In Your Room. The two Singles collections are a good value if you don't have a desire to pick up the full length albums. I did manage to find a triple vinyl set of the '86-'98 singles, it was a great find. I though the One Night in Paris DVD was pretty good in most parts, but the songs from Exciter were definate low points. It seems like not as much thought went into those parts of the show, while It's No Good and Black Celebration recieved much more attention. Either way, DM rocks and I recommend them to everyone.

I love Depeche Mode. You are probably best starting off with the 2 greatest hits CDs. They are a good summary of the bands work. After that you should definitely get my 2 fave albums - Violator and Songs Of Faith and Devotion. They are joint-top in my opinion. Violator is an incredible effort and probably the best electronic album ever and SOFAD was a mix of this electro sound with stadium-sized rock references and a tougher sound. Ultra was not as good as these 2 and sounds tired and too depressing in places but it has some great songs. As for Exciter, I still haven't totally decided on it - it's certainly at least 3 stars out of 5 but whether its good or very good I can't decide. It certainly isn't there best album but it has a unique, gorgeous, atmospheric sound provided by Mark Bell and some magically electro-ambient songs in Dream On, Shine, While The Body Sleeps, Freelove, Breathe and Goodnight Lovers. I think its more somewhere in the very good bracket and probably better than Ultra. If they can hone in this atmospheric sound with some more direct, punchier songs a la Dream On on the next album they'll be on to a winner.

At first I couldn't see any comparisons between U2 and DM but there are. It is not just Anton Corbijn who they share but crucially Flood who produced Violator and SOFAD. SOFAD is like they're Achtung Baby except in the opposite direction. They brought the rock-isms in while U2 brought the electro-isms in. SOFAD I also find a close relative to Pop as well in its rock-techno approach.

I believe that Depeche Mode's most creative period ran for about 10 years (from 1989 to 1999) and then sort of fizzled and died. I love Songs of Faith and Devotion, Ultra, and the many singles, remixes, and b-sides from those 10 years. Especially "Only When I Lose Myself" which is on the Singles Compilation. I thought Depeche Mode was on the right line finally when I heard that new track but then "Dream On" came out. I wasn't too impressed.

I purchased Exciter and it was obvious to me that Martin Gore has lost much of his gift of songwriting. Sure - David Gahan found a new voice but I found that most songs are missing live-drums and everything is played infront of some synth drum loop. Songs drag on and alot seems forced or just put in there because they had nothing else to do. Perhaps they should've put their cover of Iggy Pop and The Stooges' "dirt" on the record - would've spiced it up. It's just my opinion but I think Depeche Mode has lost the plot. My opinion was further strengthened when I bought their DVD One Night In Paris. There are many many great things but there are also many many horrible things. The performance and visual of "Waiting for the Night" is well worth the cost of the DVD - but that's about it. Flat performances of "Personal Jesus" and "Enjoy the Silence". Alright. I'm rambling...

Let's just say I think the members of Depeche know they're slowly fading. Both David Gahan and Martin Gore are working on solo albums as I speak and there is no secret why. Time to dream it up again, boys. Time to dream it up again.

As for comparison to U2 - Depeche doesn't hold a candle.

-[z]-

That's interesting that you like Only When I Lose Myself but not anything on Exciter. OWILM to me is like a hint at the atmospheric direction that Exciter would take. I personally think that Dream On is its logical successor and it is even better.

Zoocifer said:
Martin Gore has lost much of his gift of songwriting.

As for comparison to U2 - Depeche doesn't hold a candle.

Althoguh I also didn't like Exciter, I wouldn't go as far and say that Martin Gore has lost his songwriting talent. Groups are allowed to make a Bad album from time to time. For DM, this was their "bad" album.

Some people in these forums would argue that ATYCLB, POP or Rattle & Hum was U2's "bad" album. It's impossible for a band to write 10 terrific albums.

If they stay together and take time for their next album, I'm sure it'll be as good as their previous work.

Just take an ear to "Comatose", "Dead of the Night", and "The Sweetest Condition". Then you'll know what I'm saying when I claim Gore can't get it together now-a-days. I don't remember saying that I hated Exciter - if I did, I'd like to clear that up right now and say that I don't hate it. There are a few good tunes on it. "When the Body Speaks" is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I've ever heard.

-[z]-

unnamed_streets said:
Depeche Mode and U2 seem to have a zillion similarities...atleast in my eyes. Is anyone interested in discussing them?

I can list a few:
- Jesus references
- the music videos. Anton Corbijn directed many vids of both bands.
- techno infused rock

Well to compare U2 and Depeche Mode would be criminals. There are two kinds of REAL bands, one up in pedestal and another knd down the gutter.

U2 are up on the pedestal with Pink Floyd, Rush, Bon Jovi, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Police, Van Halen, The Eagles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and The Ramones.

Depeche Mode belongs down the gutter with REM, Oasis, Coldplay, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead, among others. These bands aren't U2's contemporaries. The one in the previous paragraph are.

What about Limp Bizkit, Mathbox 20, Creed, Train, Linkin Park? Well, I said there are two kinds of REAL bands. These guys aren't real but just manufactured shit designed to look like real bands.

So please, let's not do blashphemy comparing U2 to Depeche Mode.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

*laughs for a hundred days at the thought of Bon Jovi being placed above REM*

Bon Jovi are the epitome of fake-rock! They had focus groups in the '80s (and probably now, too) deciding what songs would go on albums for 100% customer satisfaction. Horribly corporate, they are everything rock n roll is supposed to rail against, in my opinion...

Whats The Story? said:
*laughs for a hundred days at the thought of Bon Jovi being placed above REM*

Bon Jovi are the epitome of fake-rock! They had focus groups in the '80s (and probably now, too) deciding what songs would go on albums for 100% customer satisfaction. Horribly corporate, they are everything rock n roll is supposed to rail against, in my opinion...

Customer satisfaction - isn't that what every bands wants to achieve? Maybe U2 should start using those focus groups.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Seriously, anyone I've ever known who's a Bon Jovi fan has had horrible taste in other bands as well. If you like Bon Jovi you have turgid, shit taste in music: fact.

On your other point, I wouldn't want any band to use focus groups to appease their fanbases. A rock and roll band should be true to itself and its own vision, not chasing the big buck.

Word.

Jick is a troll

laughs for a hundred days at the thought of Bon Jovi being placed above REM

I agree!!! :up:

R.E.M. is one of my favorite bands. I'd definately place them on the same pedestal as U2. In fact I think 'Achtung Baby' and 'Automatic For The People' were the 2 classiest most intelligent albums of the '90s. Too band R.E.M. (and Stipe's lyrics) has faded away to obscurity lately.

I think Jick is a troll or trouble starter. He said something in the Pop thread too and it grabbed the attention of a lot of angry fans. Hey I'm not saying dont say this, dont say that, cos I dont have the right. Just dont want a discussion to get diverted from the actual subject and towards an unnecessary argument.

Re: Jick is a troll

unnamed_streets said:
I think Jick is a troll or trouble starter.

Hmm. I agree with the trouble starter part, not sure about the Troll part though.

He's very agressive when he states his point of view. Sometimes to the point of putting other's ideas down.

The one thing I like about this forum is that for the most part, everyone is respectful to one another. You should try it out Jick.

Re: Jick is a troll

unnamed_streets said:

I agree!!! :up:

R.E.M. is one of my favorite bands. I'd definately place them on the same pedestal as U2. In fact I think 'Achtung Baby' and 'Automatic For The People' were the 2 classiest most intelligent albums of the '90s. Too band R.E.M. (and Stipe's lyrics) has faded away to obscurity lately.

I think Jick is a troll or trouble starter. He said something in the Pop thread too and it grabbed the attention of a lot of angry fans. Hey I'm not saying dont say this, dont say that, cos I dont have the right. Just dont want a discussion to get diverted from the actual subject and towards an unnecessary argument.

The thing with REM is that if you look at all their albums, they've evolved tremendously, never afraid to progress...Bon Jovi are the exact opposite, they do the same two songs over and over, the cheesy stadium power-ballad and the *cough* rocker, and they always sound like total re-hashes!

Word.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Jick is a troll

Whats The Story? said:

The thing with REM is that if you look at all their albums, they've evolved tremendously, never afraid to progress...Bon Jovi are the exact opposite, they do the same two songs over and over, the cheesy stadium power-ballad and the *cough* rocker, and they always sound like total re-hashes!
Word.

Sorry dude, but it must be such a bad evolution for REM as they are no longer relevant. They can no longer sell 8 million. Music execs wouldn't even care about inviting them to headline high profile events like the Winter Olympics or NFL opener. And if you think these music execs are getting Bon Jovi for their appeal to kids you are wrong because Bon Jovi is too old. Bon Jovi is just like U2 on a smaller scale and they both appeal to the same age group. If Bon Jovi were doing the same pop songs all the time, their career would have been over early like other bands such as Air Supply.

Cheers,

J

The evidence for Bon Jovi repeating themselves in their music is their music itself. Every song I've ehard them do is a re-hash of an earlier one. Once again, don't go equating sales with quality of music. Some really great bands have sold quite poorly in the history of music.

Whats The Story? said:
The evidence for Bon Jovi repeating themselves in their music is their music itself. Every song I've ehard them do is a re-hash of an earlier one. Once again, don't go equating sales with quality of music. Some really great bands have sold quite poorly in the history of music.

I agree.

its also very tough to compare the 2 bands because martin l gore writes love songs, whereas bono writes songs about political and all that stuff

end result bono does not 'touch the soul' anywhere as much as gore has, and depeche is a far superior band, musically and artistically than u2, though their music sure is depressing at times

another thing is im not bothered that depeche's fan base is smaller than u2's? u2, can have their $$$ and what not, but my heart is for depeche. its more of a case of people missing out on something good rather than, "oh u2's played on radio because they make better tunes", but what else can you expect from a media world of commercial radio people telling you what music should and should not sound like?

oh and whoever wrote the reply about thinking depeche is a joke band, go listen to your limp biscuit, travis, dave matthews and stereophonics records instead :yell:

CrashedCarDriver said:
another thing is im not bothered that depeche's fan base is smaller than u2's? u2, can have their $$$ and what not, but my heart is for depeche. its more of a case of people missing out on something good rather than, "oh u2's played on radio because they make better tunes", but what else can you expect from a media world of commercial radio people telling you what music should and should not sound like?

I can't agree with you.

I used to be a really big DM fan. Loved SOFAD & Ultra - but I've always known that they're the type of band that has no growing fan base. There's a reason for that.

You recently made a post of how you can't take U2 seriously - well how in the hell can you take DM seriously? David Gahan makes a fool out of himself while performing. I don't know what the devil he's trying to do but whatever dance moves those are - he should really just stop. Martin Gore, once an amazing and underated songwriter, should not even be rated for his most recent works. Let's hope that the next album by DM is a whole lot more exciting and innovative than Exciter.

I guess I just don't understand how you can talk about how you can't take U2 seriously yet you can take Depeche Mode, a band that has obviously lost their juice, seriously. Oh - and tell Gore to find a new clothing designer and stylist. Good God.

-[z]-

Zoocifer said:

I can't agree with you.

I used to be a really big DM fan. Loved SOFAD & Ultra - but I've always known that they're the type of band that has no growing fan base. There's a reason for that.

You recently made a post of how you can't take U2 seriously - well how in the hell can you take DM seriously? David Gahan makes a fool out of himself while performing. I don't know what the devil he's trying to do but whatever dance moves those are - he should really just stop. Martin Gore, once an amazing and underated songwriter, should not even be rated for his most recent works. Let's hope that the next album by DM is a whole lot more exciting and innovative than Exciter.

I guess I just don't understand how you can talk about how you can't take U2 seriously yet you can take Depeche Mode, a band that has obviously lost their juice, seriously. Oh - and tell Gore to find a new clothing designer and stylist. Good God.

-[z]-

granted that the last album wasnt great, but there was a few good songs on there nonetheless. the thing remains is that the 2 bands have a different approach, Bono and his views that he wants to save the world (and somewhere there is music), whereas Gore stays true to himself and writes love songs not shoving it in your face saying "LIKE IT LIKE IT LIKE IT!"

ok, gahan is a bit of an extrovert, and draws a lot of criticism from neutral people, but would bono ever interpret lyrics as well as he has? can bono write anything anywhere as deep as gore has?

and speaking of fashion, what else would you expect? Gore to be wearing business suits and what not now? DM does appeal to a different audience to U2 though, granted they looked absolutely ridiculous once. but many bands have different fashions, look at the manic street preachers, i mean look at nicky wire, looks like a total dork. heck talking heads with mr david byrne (and his promoting of schizophrenia) wore a ludicrous looking wide suit once

CrashedCarDriver said:

Bono and his views that he wants to save the world (and somewhere there is music), whereas Gore stays true to himself and writes love songs not shoving it in your face saying "LIKE IT LIKE IT LIKE IT!"

That comment is crap. U2's music has always been first and foremost...that has gotten their political messages into the mainstream, not the other way around. You act as if it's a crime to try to put your music out on a stage to where everyone can hear it...it's an art, and the goal of art is to express ones self. Just because it's popular, and because Bono/U2 want masses to enjoy it doesn't automatically mean it's inferior to another band who may not. It's not about staying true to ones self; it's about expression of many different ideas, thoughts and emotions...not just "love songs".

One more thing: to compare Travis and Stereophonics to the likes of Limp Bizkit is inane...if you can't get comparisons right, don't do it at all.

Back
Top Bottom