Depeche Mode and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CrashedCarDriver said:

ok, gahan is a bit of an extrovert, and draws a lot of criticism from neutral people, but would bono ever interpret lyrics as well as he has? can bono write anything anywhere as deep as gore has?

I'd say that Achtung Baby beats everything DM's done, both artistically and emotionally.

I'd also like to say that I'm a fan of DM's work (86-98), and although their latest album didn't impress me that much, I'd definitely rank them as one of the greatest bands of the last decades.
I think their biggest problem is that they've never released a *perfect* album - even Violator has its faults - and as such, they've never been able to be the band everyone wanted to be.
They are probably more influential than U2, but their output just isn't as great as U2 (who've recorded 2-3 of the greatest albums ever recorded).

As for the Bon Jovi-debate, I'd never consider a band, who puts style over substance, better than such legendary bands as R.E.M., DM or Pearl Jam.
Although they've probably matured alot, I just can't forget when their songs and videos were all about big cars, hair and tits.

Back
Top Bottom