Delta vs u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Aussies may take more of an interest in this.

Apparently, the over rated Delta Goodrem has a new album due shortly. Her last album had heapsa success down here in Oz. Do you think that maybe Goodrem will sell more copies of her thing than u2 will of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?

Im hopin not, she is so over rated and has rather limited songwriting ability, but i fear Oz will embrace her new stuff more than they will embrace U2's new album.

Also fear that that bloody moron guy sebastian will sell more copies...

Just don't want to see one of the greatest bands of all time be overshadowed by 2 lesser artists who are comparatively ordinary.

The Aussie album charts are dominated by bloody hip hop and our homegrown (but anonymous internationally) artists such as JBT, MIssy Higgins, Delta and the embarrassment to the nation Jet.

Even rock and roll legends REM could only debut at #6 last week while a mediocre band from perth named little birdy debuted higher at #5.

Such is the nature of Australian Music VIdeo Shows that u2 might be almost snubbed in a way by the album buying public...

Aussie ‘music’ is a disgrace.

We have nothing in the terms of real talent here, and it frustrates me. I have a band and one day I’d like to be as big as U2 (we can all dream :) ) but I imagine it would be hard to be known internationally if you are Australian. I mean the rest of the world doesn’t know anything about any of our ‘artists’ and I don’t blame them…

Ahh well maybe I’ll move back to England.

Lol....so much for the land of opportunity....

Australia is one place where image is a lot more important than the music....

How i wish Oz could go back to the glory days of the 80's, where Midnight Oil and INXS gave the aussie music industry something to be proud of..

I would have to agree that there isn't a lot of great music around at the moment, but would have to say that it seems to be more of a world wide phenomena than just Oz.

Personally, I think that U2 will wipe the floor with Delta. At least she can sing better than that other budgie from Neighbours!

I hate Delta and her cliched bullshit music revolving around exactly the same themes. All her music is the same and it's so typical and unoriginal. The way her music is arranged is all too similar and boring as well. And to attack her on a personal level, she's so hollow and has nothing interesting to say at all. She's too unrealistically positive and quite frankly she bores the living shit out of me. But on the other hand, she's really hot!

intedomine said:
and the embarrassment to the nation Jet.

Thank you for saying that. Jet are astonishingly bad.

And with Delta... we had Tina Arena once, you can't fool us by repackaging that in a teenager. She's shite.

To all of you, there is actually a great deal of excellent Australian music. The big players in the music industry all around the world (record companies, radio stations, video shows/channels) are consolidating and going for 'safe'. They're not going to invest the time and money on fresh, untested acts, and they are not going to invest the time and money in building them, giving them time to develop and grow. They want things that will sell, and sell straight away, and hopefully make money across a few forms of media (See the Idol phenomenon). Of course in Australia it's a far smaller industry than in Europe or the US, so just scale it down accordingly. A couple of the 'Big 5' record labels here have less than 15 'current' Australian acts on their books. Go back even 5 years and that number would have been double or triple that.
There are some particular labels, and at least one of the major record co's, who are trying to fight against it though.

Anyway, point is, it's not just an issue in Australia, but we really feel it because everything is so small here. It's completely fucked.

As for U2, the album will go number 1. No doubt about that. Delta will still outsell them 4 to 1 though.

AussieU2fanman said:
But on the other hand, she's really hot!

You're kidding! Give me Kylie anyday....and she's twice her age.

Kylie in both a musical sense and a physical one.....

...I've always had a thing for 'Better the Devil You Know'.....dont know why, but it makes me feel good....

Australian music makes the bullshit that is Australian rugby union look good.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

AussieU2fanman said:
Powderfinger is the only Australian act I actually respect. Their last album was really good, they actually have talent! As for the rest.....:madspit:

What about Motorace? They had the audacity to change...

intedomine said:

What about Motorace? They had the audacity to change...

I used to like them, but I saw footage of a live performance of theirs on TV a couple of years ago and it was total crap. That pretty much put me off permanently.

Eskimoe Joe, Jebidiah, End of Fashion.. good bands.

Aus has good rock music, you only need to listen to TripleJ. Main stream is rubbish. Unfortunately JJJ plays too much hip hop. And Adam 'n Wil are leaving. :(

If you want a SUPERB Aussie band, seek out 'Youth Group'. Download 'Skeleton Jar. Or if you want it, tell me and I'll email it out.

However I am English and Brit/Irish music is superior to the rest of the world without a doubt.

Two words - Paul Kelly....

Actually went off and looked up my meagre CD collection and intedomine is correct, very few are recent (Alex Lloyd, Ben Lee, Paul Kelly, Silverchair and those ring ins from NZ Crowded House).

Oh well, at least we have U2 to keep us going :wink:

Palace_Hero said:
If you want a SUPERB Aussie band, seek out 'Youth Group'. Download 'Skeleton Jar. Or if you want it, tell me and I'll email it out.

I would be interested in giving them a try. amakaxver@gmail.com is my address.

However I am English and Brit/Irish music is superior to the rest of the world without a doubt.

No disagreement there (even though my native NZ is home to the brilliance of Split Enz, Crowded House, and The Feelers). British/Irish music, much like British/Irish comedy, is superior to anything else anyone tries to make.

hey guys ..you are3 being a bit harsh on aussie music!!

little birdy are not medicore..i have a lot of talent ..but they are still young..look at where u2 where with boy/girl...pretty medicore..but give them a chance...(by the way...i saw them at melb airport last year reading a thick U2 book so give them a break)

what about NICK CAVE?
What about NICK CAVE? - classic songwriter. just classic.

What about SILVERCHAIR?
What about SILVERCHAIR? -name me another band who has mixed grunge and gamour musicallity so well (PS> u2 love silverchair..remember he said everyone must see this band.

What about the VINES?
What about the VINES? - naughty ..but hear their first album..masterpiece!

What about REGURGITATOR and SPIDRBAIT - ok they are true regurgitators but they a aweseome entertainers?

Others less talented but surely not bad by any means Alex Loyd, Kasey Chambers, powderfinger, eskimo joe, jet (they are not that bad)

Mr Gloria said:

what about NICK CAVE?
What about NICK CAVE? - classic songwriter. just classic.

What about SILVERCHAIR?
What about SILVERCHAIR? -name me another band who has mixed grunge and gamour musicallity so well (PS> u2 love silverchair..remember he said everyone must see this band

Bono's words regarding silverchair were:

"The molten heart of metal. Black Sabbath's riffs with Brian Wilson's sweet drop melodies. Swim to Australia to see them if you have to"

Diorama was a goddamn good album. As was Neon Ballroom. the first two albums were really immature, but they were in high school at the time. I mean geez. I love this band, have yet to hear Daniel Johns' new band. (i am in the US after all, maybe this thread isn't really my business).

Also, gotta love Nick Cave.

And where's the love for INXS?

Back
Top Bottom