definitive ballad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 ballads always have a little sting in them. Not the singer, the pain. It's what seperates their ballads from all others.

One

"One"

"With or Without You" is boring, "Stay" doesn't have the same grandeur as "One," and "Sometimes..." veers too close to adult contemporary crap.

Even though I prefer One, I'd say With Or Without You is the definitive U2 ballad. I'm judging "definitive" in terms of the song people think of when they think of U2. WOWY was the hit that made U2 superstars and is known by just about everybody (even my parents who are totally unhip about music sing along to WOWY). One is close, but it wasn't as big of hit and is thus less well known than WOWY.

Stay shouldn't even be included. Yes, it is one of my favorite U2 songs, but it is pretty unknown outside of U2 fandom. Sometimes is too new--if it's a huge hit it may become a definitive ballad, but time will etll.

typhoon said:
"One"

"With or Without You" is boring, "Stay" doesn't have the same grandeur as "One," and "Sometimes..." veers too close to adult contemporary crap.

I agree with pretty much every syllable of that post... except about WOWY which is of course a classic but One is better.

If we're talking album versions, With Or Without You. Live, I'd have to say One.

Zootlesque said:

Axver's standard 'use the other person's opinion against them' kinda reply. :rolleyes:

Though if you will note the time stamps of the comment, you will see it came only three minutes after the comment you accuse me of copying. I opened the thread before that comment was made and was not mimicking anyone.

And I do think One gets a little boring after a while. The live versions are far superior.

And I do think With or Without You gets a little boring after a while. The live versions are far superior.

(It's a joke, laugh.)

What the difference with a ballad and a love song?

I think One is a pretty deep love song, but if you talk about marital love the All I Want Is You is perhaps their best.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom