Defend The Edge!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess they are "experts" hmm. Actually more people liked him than didn't. What was the big deal with Adam and Larry? I am used to people who don't like U2 saying bad things about Bono, but not Adam or Larry.

Well there seems to be just as many people defending him as there are people cutting him down...

------------------
You will believe in me
And I can never be ignored

This is a really interesting message board. I guess the members are guitarists/musicians? (or wannabes)

Did you all read down a ways for the comments on Adam & Larry? uh oh....I don't think some people here would like what they are saying!!!!!
eek.gif

It's actually a pretty cool message board. There are many experienced people there, very helpful guys. Of course, there's also the usual assortment of trolls.

------------------
Atr?eme con tu est?tica
Quiebra mi conciencia
Novato sin pr?ctica
Adicto a tu presencia...

Hmm...didn't read all the way down the first time and this is probably why!

"The Edge is the only thing I like about U2. If you want to whine and bitch, at least do it about the pile of steaming crap bass player they have."

"he's boring.he's a lazy drummer.my drum teacher HHHHHHHHATED him.as do i.i really don't understand how someone could be in the public eye playing an instrument for so long and not get worrried that he's not gotten any better whatsoever.he STILL looks like he's stuggling with even basic stuff.he always plays on a nice fancy full kit with great signature cymbals yet only ever uses about 30%of the kit(perhaps he could donate the other 70 to me!?!?!).what's the point of that?!charlie watts is the same yet he doesn't use a full kit when he doesn't have to and he works at his drumming so he's got a bit of flash too.he is a marvellous percussionist because he's picked up so much and this makes up for him not being the greatest drummer ever.honestly,how much effort would it take to get ONE or TWO lessons and improve his basic stuff?"

Hmm...

------------------
You will believe in me
And I can never be ignored

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
From what i heard ( maggazines , articles ) Larry Mullen Jnr is one of the best drummers in the world .
Adam .. i agree , he's cool but he can't play bass very well , sorry
Bono's the only trouble ( and a very serious one ) is his voice ,
And The Edge , ... uuuuuuuuuuuhuhuhuh i wish he'd be back to grazy guitar sounds of 90's
biggrin.gif

Anyway the wind blows .......

You know...I read stuff like that from you often, and I have to wonder, are you even a fan?

People have been using that same argument against Larry for years, 'he can't play...he plays too slow...he's too basic...I can play all of his songs.' Of course those same people don't know their ass from a whole in the ground.

It kind of reminds me of what people say about a little known drummer named Ringo Starr.

Virgil Donati may be a better drummer than Larry but you've never heard of him.

And Ivan, no, Larry is not anywhere near being one of the greatest drummers in the world.

I only read the first 15 posts or something (I have a busy schedule
biggrin.gif
), but I must say I expected worse

most posts were honest except for the trolling ones like kerc pointed out

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I think the problem people have with U2 is their simplicity.

Everyone knows that Edge would play a song with only one note in it if he could. So they assume he is not very good technically, when he in fact is a great rhythm guitarist and just resists having a guitar wank.

I'm not sure where these people get the notion of Larry not being a good drummer. I think he is excellent.

As for Adam, again, he may not be a fretmeister but he is the musical conscience of the group and he adds the funk and feel to U2. Let's face it... he comes up with some great basslines!

So there. U2 are a great band because they ARE a band... a group.

Stewart Copeland is the worlds greatest drummer. But still, think about songs like, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Like A Song, Gloria, Exit, With Or With Out You, even Ultraviolet, in concert. Just a few of the songs in which Larry's drumming shines. Also, I threw A Brick Threw A Window and A Day Without Me!

That was awesome!

Yeah, there were a couple nasty comments, but for the most part, that was a civilized, intelligent discussion. It had arguments, rebuttals, the whole nine yards.

Pro-U2 or anti-U2, I don't care. I'd love to read more well written opinions like those.

It's also satisfying to see someone point-by-point tear apart the troll's arguments!

-Mike

From what i heard ( maggazines , articles ) Larry Mullen Jnr is one of the best drummers in the world .
Adam .. i agree , he's cool but he can't play bass very well , sorry
Bono's the only trouble ( and a very serious one ) is his voice ,
And The Edge , ... uuuuuuuuuuuhuhuhuh i wish he'd be back to grazy guitar sounds of 90's
biggrin.gif

Anyway the wind blows .......

What's funny is that U2 have never claimed to be great musicians. It's just that when they get together, magic happens. I think this is what's kept them relatively humble all these years--they know there are better players, but it's the whole of them, the chemistry, that make them the greatest band.

My former guitar teacher, who's a pretty hot session guy in NYC, has a lot of respect for Edge for all the right reasons--it's more than how accomplished the technique is, it's also about heart, soul, and a unique sound, among other things.

About Larry and Adamn--to say Larry and Adam don't work hard at becoming more proficient players is just not true. I've seen so many references to how they're always working at it.

I think the reason U2 are always so quick to give their props to the Ramones and other punk bands is that U2 never would've had a chance without them. You didn't have to be any good with your instruments to be in a punk band, and this gave U2 the confidence to go for it.

I can understand not liking U2's music (well, actually I can't, but in theory I understand that not everybody likes them) so I'm not one for just bitching and moaning about their critics, but some of these guys just sound really jealous.

Ok, I'm preaching to the choir here...

I definitely remember reading somewhere that during a break between touring and recording (can't remember which break) Larry moved to New York and studied percussion for the entire break, trying to refine his techniques and learn new stuff.

Larry and Adam are a great rhythm section. You sometimes forget they are even there, and that's how a rhythm section should be. So tight and in tune that the only way you notice them is if they're messing up.

Not to mention, all the technique in the world doesn't count for shit if your songs are no good.

Viva U2!

And P.S. Sounds like that criticizing drummer is a bit jealous. He'd probably give his left testicle to have the kind of drumming career Larry has had.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

[This message has been edited by HeartlandGirl (edited 02-05-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom