Deep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
This would have been the masterpiece for me, the perfect album.

Most of you would ask the question, what about WTSHNN, ISHFWILF, SBS,Gloria,Pride....... Yes, thoses songs are masterpeices but not in the selection of deep U2 songs. The deepest U2 songs is when U2 are as its best.

1.Bad
2.The Unforgettable Fire
3.With Or Without You
4.Running To Stand Still
5.Wild Irish Rose
6.One
7.Acrobat
8.Love Is Blindness
9.The First Time
10.Mercy

Night And Day were a candidate, but because it is a cover it never went on the list.

Although I have yet to hear Mercy, I agree with the rest of your choices! That is a heavy album!

How about Wire? That's got to be one of U2's darkest and deepest songs? Maybe you could put it after Acrobat?

wow , such a great selection and without the major chart toppers too!

I agree with the selection of songs, but maybe All I Want is You would be better over Mercy.

and maybe this order would be better, imo:

1 // The Unforgettable Fire
2 // Bad
3 // Wild Irish Rose
4 // Running To Stand Still
5 // Mercy
6 // Acrobat
7 // One
8 // The First Time
9 // With or Without You
10 // Love is Blindness

I can't see what's deep about Mercy and One.

Deep is not the same as 'vague'. Even the lyric analysis geeks haven't quite figured out what Mercy is about. That doesn't mean it's deep, it just means the meaning of the lyrics isn't clear. In fact, to say something is deep you have to know what it's about.

And One is certainly not deep. Some may say it has good lyrics (good poetry, "the song really means something"), but there's nothing deep about it.

It's been argued that a lot of U2 lyrics, including several listed above, are deliberately vague so that they can mean different things to different people.

Those are great songs. But I don't think they could make an album. They come from different times and different ideas. To me, a good album is like a good story, it has to make sense as a whole.

WalkOn21 said:
I can't see what's deep about Mercy and One.

Deep is not the same as 'vague'. Even the lyric analysis geeks haven't quite figured out what Mercy is about. That doesn't mean it's deep, it just means the meaning of the lyrics isn't clear. In fact, to say something is deep you have to know what it's about.

And One is certainly not deep. Some may say it has good lyrics (good poetry, "the song really means something"), but there's nothing deep about it.

Mercy and One is deep, Sure the Mercy chours is like COBL and Miracle Drug, but overall the song has a very deep vibe. One is a so special song, it is a very simple guitar,bass and drum song, but so deep in many ways. Bonos voice is so perfect, very deep vocal.

Karlonthe2nd said:
What is this 'Mercy' everyone keeps talking about? Is it from a single or something? Could someone possibly post a direct link to the song?

give me ya email and i will send it ya

Blackberry said:
This is a great list. I agree. The only change I would make is Sometimes You Can't... instead of Wild Irish Rose

I think SYCMIOYO is deep, but to much passion in it, hard to explain. Irish Orse is one of the deepest songs. Bonos voice is deep and good in that song.

Back
Top Bottom