David Hiltbrand Can Kiss My Ass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Did you all read the artical he wrote for Philadelphia newspaper? Read it on atu2.com.... It's titled "Old Rockers Stop the Music". He starts off by saying congrats to U2 for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Perhaps it'll stop them from releasing a new album. He says the last good album they have released was in 1991. Bite me David.

SMB

If he doesn't like anything U2 have done since 1991, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. But if nostalgy is what's responsible for U2's popularity, how does that explain relatively new fans like me jumping on the bandwagon?

Why do people get upset about reviews? I couldnt care less what some other person thinks of my CD collection.

Like what you like. Listen to what you want. "Ignore the naysayers".

I posted the article in the thread with 5 stars....and as I said before the guy is clearly an idiot with very little to say about anything.

he also said... and I quote

"The Rolling Stones are one of the few rock bands that have managed to
age gracefully"

kthx, if that doesn't make him look like a total looney, I don't know what does...

the 'stones have had the same old schtick for years, he said himself, the last real stones album was 72' ...

Agreed, the Stones haven't released a great album since Exile on Main Street, and haven't released a really good one since Some Girls. That's, what, 30 years ago?

And we won't even address the fact that U2 features their new material prominently, while the Stones play a few new songs and then turn into a jukebox.

laz

lazarus said:
Agreed, the Stones haven't released a great album since Exile on Main Street, and haven't released a really good one since Some Girls. That's, what, 30 years ago?

And we won't even address the fact that U2 features their new material prominently, while the Stones play a few new songs and then turn into a jukebox.

laz

exactly, hiltbrand sounds like one of those guys who just can't let go of the past, sporting a mullet and leather pants in his 60's

Hiltbrand is so right,

I so wish U2 had just performed songs from Boy, October and War for the past twenty years, just the like Stones have repeated their old hits...

NOT.

beli said:
Why do people get upset about reviews? I couldnt care less what some other person thinks of my CD collection.

Like what you like. Listen to what you want. "Ignore the naysayers".

Yeah. I figure my taste is vastly superior to everyone else's anyway, so why should I care what some peon thinks? And so often the negative review are great fun to read. ;)

In a way, he has a point, they haven't done anything GREAT since AB and likely never will. But that doesn't discount their later stuff, they are still productive, still out there with something to say, still way better than anyone else who's been around that long and very special. It is true that as all musical artists get older and richer and deeper into their career the creativity doesn't work as well (look at not just the Stones but ex Beatles and Zeppelin members too, and Dylan, no offense to anyone, it happens to the greatest of them!) U2 are still incredible for this stage in their career, who could argue with what they've done?

Back
Top Bottom