Dave Matthews quote on U2(good read)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rythemwire

The Fly
"This band started it all for true rock&roll music,U2 showed the media that you don't have to drink and do drugs to create beauty.They completly went against all rock standerds they gave rock music a 360*, style wise (big hair v.s desert look),music wise (enlighting songs about war,love&politics
vs sex,and cars) and vocals (screams vs soulful).I mean Bono's voice is just awsome and his range can basically crush anyone's else's in music today.And Edge is right up there with the gutiar greats.You know some people say rockers like ozzy are cool ,that's there opnion but I mean look at the guy now. If rock &roll ends up like that it's sad in the sense of his physical state.U2 has showed us that rock can be a moving force without substance abuse which is basically what the clich'e of rock is.They have broken EVERY CLICH'E OF ROCK MUSIC and I find that amazing.They have changed with the times but still have that guinuine U2 sound and remain EXTREMELY popular even more nowadays they persist which is hard to do I think rock music is all about persisting and going into new areas U2 are the epitome of that and my band and I look up to them.Bono even flipped how songs are wrote ,he started off writing about God and war while all other rockers wrote about girls and love! They literally are the saviours of rock cause if it had not been for them posion and Motley crue would be seen "true rockers".U2 just so ......pure."

Dave Matthews-Jam magizine 2-11-03

I thought this was pretty cool:wink:

I've always loved Dave Matthews and there are so many of you fuckers out there that say shit how he's overated, he's ugly, blah,blah, blah.

This is just another reason why I love him because he's about the MUSIC!

Same with U2. I bet there are some people out there that will now say "Huh, well I guess Dave I'snt too bad." Because he said something cool about U2. (Puke)

Long live the GREAT Dave Matthews Band. Under-rated and unappreciated by U2 fans at this forum:(

I have an on-again off-again love of DMB. I havent put in a DMB album since I saw them live last summer, I really wasnt turned on by the hearing the same acoustic riff played over and over again in one of those legendary jam sessions. It was boring. No wonder it seemed the only people having fun there were the people who were totally stoned.

It is great when someone like Dave Matthews and his calibar as a singer/songwriter and respected artist talks about how he feels about U2 in a way many of us have felt about the band all these years. Thanks for sharing the article, it says exactly how U2 has raised the bar as musicians and people.

Chris

I had no idea DM was such a huge U2 fan!

Maybe he should be the one to induct U2 into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. My dream would be for Bruce Springsteen to do it, but since it's younger artists who usually do the inducting I doubt that will happen. I'm not a huge fan of Dave's, but I admit he's certainly no lightweight. He also seems to have a genuine love of U2 and I'm sure he could do a beautiful job with the speech.

Last edited:
Thats awesome. I have a lot of respect for Dave Mathews even if i've never been the biggest fan of his music.

SCDave said:
Thats awesome. I have a lot of respect for Dave Mathews even if i've never been the biggest fan of his music.

I totally agree. I flat out dislike most of his music, but I respect him for what he does (except the whole pot legalization thing, that's completely idiotic)

gherman said:
I've always loved Dave Matthews and there are so many of you fuckers out there that say shit how he's overated, he's ugly, blah,blah, blah.

This is just another reason why I love him because he's about the MUSIC!

Same with U2. I bet there are some people out there that will now say "Huh, well I guess Dave I'snt too bad." Because he said something cool about U2. (Puke)

Long live the GREAT Dave Matthews Band. Under-rated and unappreciated by U2 fans at this forum:(

Amen to that! Everyone in LS who slams Dave needs to read this.

DiGi said:

Amen to that! Everyone in LS who slams Dave needs to read this.

I dont know, just because someone in a band says something nice about U2 doesnt mean I'm now going to love his music. I dont really care what other bands think about U2. I know Creed are supposedly U2 fans, I still hate their music with a passion.

u2popmofo said:

I dont know, just because someone in a band says something nice about U2 doesnt mean I'm now going to love his music. I dont really care what other bands think about U2. I know Creed are supposedly U2 fans, I still hate their music with a passion.

Amen to that! :up:

What a great article! All very true, love how he sais "Bono's voice is just awesome and his range can basically crush anyone's else's in music today" :yes:

u2popmofo said:

That is a valid point. I just do not like it when people slam dave for reasons that have nothing to do with the music he makes. I understand if someone does not like his music, but to say they suck for reasons such as his looks, etc is a bit insane

DiGi said:

That is a valid point. I just do not like it when people slam dave for reasons that have nothing to do with the music he makes. I understand if someone does not like his music, but to say they suck for reasons such as his looks, etc is a bit insane

:shrug: Yeah, I guess you just have to ignore it when people say stuff like that because you know that their opinion has no basis in fact.

I went through a period where I detested DMB because it seemed like so many people around me loved them. I know, that's about as stupid a reason as a person could have...But I just wished those people would pay attention to U2 as well! But recently I've found myself hearing DMB songs and actually thoroughly enjoying them.

You have to at least like one DMB song, everyone does. Like me for instance, I really love that song they wrote back in 96 called "Crash into me" or Crash or whatever. Yeah, I can respect his opinion even if I don't really care for his music.

david said:
You have to at least like one DMB song, everyone does. Like me for instance, I really love that song they wrote back in 96 called "Crash into me" or Crash or whatever. Yeah, I can respect his opinion even if I don't really care for his music.

please please please do a huge dmb fan (me :wave: ) a favor and download another song outside of crash-- i'd recommend "#41"-- to see what dmb is really about. i love "crash" but i'm sick of dmb being judged by their radio singles. it'd be like if people only knew u2 based on "the sweetest thing"...

and if anyone would like a better taste of dave matthews band, i'm willing to burn anyone a mix of some good stuff for free. email me if you'd like one-- icanfeeltherain@hotmail.com

:)

wonsuitewhirled said:

please please please do a huge dmb fan (me :wave: ) a favor and download another song outside of crash-- i'd recommend "#41"-- to see what dmb is really about. i love "crash" but i'm sick of dmb being judged by their radio singles. it'd be like if people only knew u2 based on "the sweetest thing"...

:lol: I know what you mean! I'm one of those who doesn't know any DMB outside their singles, but yeah...I tend to get annoyed with people when they judged U2 solely on singles.

Back
Top Bottom