Daniel Johns, Natalie Imbruglia, Peter Garrett and Bono...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
...got stoned listening to a demo copy of Young Modern.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone, it's on page three of the paper this morning. Apparently they all sat on Bono's bed smoking joints listening to it.

Of course it's all been denied now "a big boast", as Bono and Peter Garrett are fiercely "anti-drugs" according to the story.

Apparently it's very bad for Garrett considering he's in politics. For gawd's sake, if people are only now realising that he may have taken drugs when he was a rock star, you are one thick mutha:censored:

Just thought I'd drop in :D

COBL_04 said:
...got stoned listening to a demo copy of Young Modern.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone, it's on page three of the paper this morning. Apparently they all sat on Bono's bed smoking joints listening to it.

Of course it's all been denied now "a big boast", as Bono and Peter Garrett are fiercely "anti-drugs" according to the story.

Apparently it's very bad for Garrett considering he's in politics. For gawd's sake, if people are only now realising that he may have taken drugs when he was a rock star, you are one thick mutha:censored:

Just thought I'd drop in :D

Are you high right now? None of this even makes any sense.

So Bono's previewing albums in his bed?

And since when has Bono been "fiercely anti-drug"?

Last edited:
Well the problem was that this was not refering to what he might have done when he was a Rock Star. This was refering to something this last November. He now says that he was joking and assumed that since Bono and Garrett are anti-drug that people would realize that. It's probably no big deal for Bono but will cause quite a mess for Garrett. Personally it doesn't matter to me if Bono dabbles with a bit of wacky tobacky cause we all know he doesn't over indulge but politicians can't get away with that. The sad thing is that a joke made by someone who Garrett has no control over can seriously damage his career.

Dana

It's on page 3 of the Daily Terror in Sydney.

For the non-Australians here, Peter Garrett (ex Midnight Oil frontman) is now a politician, facing an election later this year. I don't know about Johns/Imbruglia, but he (Garrett) was around Bono a lot when the U2 ship was in town, and Bono did rent a house down on the harbour for a week or so of their time here. Bono is also on record as a Silverchair fan, and Natalie Imbruglia has performed with U2 before. In other words, the story isn't really a stretch. My bet is there's some truth to it in some degree and Daniel Johns is backpeddling fast to help his buddies political image. Or maybe I just like the story. :wink:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22043511-29277,00.html?from=public_rss

the thing that doesn't ring true in all of this is that he said it was a joke and that was proved by the fact that both Garrett and Bono are anti-drug. I'm just not aware of Bono being a big anti-drug advocate.

The rest of it sounds pretty feasible to me :shrug:

Thanks for the link, it makes a little more sense than the original post.

Never thought Austrailia was so uptight about pot...

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Y'all have a newspaper called the Daily Terror? I am so moving to Australia :lol:

It's called the Daily Telegraph, but it's a News Ltd owned sensationalist tabloid, so it's got the Daily Terror nickname here.

Earnie Shavers said:
It's called the Daily Telegraph, but it's a News Ltd owned sensationalist tabloid, so it's got the Daily Terror nickname here.
Ah, that ruins it for me a bit. I'll just settle for moving to New Jersey so I can live on Shades of Death road :D

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I wouldn't say we are; I think this is more a case of a tabloid trying to blow up a minor story because it features a politician. I have a sneaking suspicion that no-one will give a shit.

In any case, it seems like the media's having a more difficult time than usual getting things to stick to the Opposition at the moment, so I don't think this will exactly ruin Garrett's chances of re-election.

Australia isn't really uptight about pot at all, but Peter Garrett is trying to present himself as a serious candidate in a party that is desperately trying to win a federal election this year against a conservative party that has had an incredible grip on power for over a decade. It's not about pot, it's about image, and his party would be trying to limit the image of him as a rock star taking part in whatever rock star stuff, and present him as one of their leading faces for change. Politics is politics and he's not running as some alternative/independent/far left candidate limited to a certain demographic. It's the equivalent of one of your 2 or 3 most high profile Democrat candidates happening to be a former rock star, and 4 months out from an election a story goes around that he's recently been sparking doobies with Bono and Billy Joe from GreenDay. You know it's going to be made an issue in the media and his PR people are going to be scrambling for cover, even if in reality it really isn't and that most people wouldn't really care.

Axver said:

I wouldn't say we are; I think this is more a case of a tabloid trying to blow up a minor story because it features a politician. I have a sneaking suspicion that no-one will give a shit.

In any case, it seems like the media's having a more difficult time than usual getting things to stick to the Opposition at the moment, so I don't think this will exactly ruin Garrett's chances of re-election.

Just thought it was interesting that the little side story on that link was calling for Garrett to have a drug test.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Just thought it was interesting that the little side story on that link was calling for Garrett to have a drug test.

Yeah, but I've linked you to the Australian equiv. of the NY Post or UK Sun. Sensationalist tabloid rubbish. Interview 100 people who say they don't care, then find one from some extreme anti-drug group who says they do, print only that.

Axver said:

Exactly.

Rock stars smoke pot! Film at 11.

Dun-dun-dunnnnnnn!

God bless the tabloids of all nations. It's something we can all rally against in this crazy, mixed-up world.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

and being uptight about pot is a bad thing?? Pot can screw up people bad. A friend of mine who had never smoked marijuna before smoked a joint that had horse tranquiliser in it, she was awake for three days striaght hallucinating and now has schizophrenia. pot is NOT a harmless drug

Last edited:
jonnytakeawalk said:

and being uptight about pot is a bad thing?? Pot can screw up people bad. A friend of mine who had never smoked marijuna before smoked a joint that had horse tranquiliser in it, she was awake for three days striaght hallucinating and now has schizophrenia. pot is NOT a harmless drug

Umm, horse tranquiliser isn't peachy no matter how it's consumed.

I found the story hilarious, I don't think it's true. Why should he report something like this in all detail, it's a total non-story. I think Bono will laugh over it, but it's not okay for Garrett, who is indeed a politician.

jonnytakeawalk said:

Don't exaggerate...ketamine is a dissociative...barring an allergic reaction, it won't last longer than 12 hours in high doses (i.e. several large pills, magnitudes more than can be ingested through a few inhales).

And hell, put horse tranquilizer in milk and it will f*** you up. Doesn't mean milk is bad for you.

Though I doubt it caused the schizophrenia...made it worse, caused it to come to the forefront of her life, sure, but schizophrenia is a genetic thing...nothing short of viral RNA can "cause" it.

Your friend needs to avoid the folks who laced some weed with ketamine, not the weed itself. Again, I could slip some into your bologna sandwich...doesn't mean bologna is bad for you, just means I'm an evil bastard.

\praying that your friend can recover and live a normal happy life, regardless of the cause.
\\think folk who slip someone an intense drug they aren't expecting deserve jail time and the expected butt-loving that comes with it.
\\\just can't stand people who make outrageous claims that violate every bit of scientific knowledge in order to prove an emotional point, especially when it comes to a topic that has been so abused by anecdotal morality already (i.e. the War on Drugs)

I actually don't think it's true, but I thought it was quite funny. And quite an interesting image in my head.

Garrett said he hasn't smoked dope since he was in his 20's... whether you believe that or not is up to you.

Bono is definitely not anti-drug, he's anti-addiction.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/i...tick-to-singing/2007/07/09/1183833410098.html

'I should shut up and stick to singing'
Dylan Welch
July 9, 2007 - 3:51PM

At no time have I ever 'smoked a joint' with Bono or Peter Garrett
Daniel Johns and, left, Peter Garrett and Bono.

The office of Peter Garrett has moved quickly to hose down a joke by Silverchair frontman Daniel Johns on Sydney radio this morning, suggesting Johns, his wife, Garrett and U2 singer Bono smoked dope together at a house in Sydney recently.

Johns, on Triple J to discuss the band's fifth album, Young Modern, released earlier this year, joked with presenters that when he played a demo of the album to Garrett and Bono they had been all lying on a bed in a Sydney house Bono was occupying, and smoking marijuana.

"[Bono] invited me over the house he was staying at in Sydney and asked if I'd play the demos and it was really one of the most surreal moments of my life," Johns said after 8am.

"It was me and [Johns's wife] Natalie [Imbruglia] and Peter Garrett and Bono laying on Bono's bed smoking joints listening to the Young Modern demo."

News website Crikey said the alleged incident would have occurred in November last year, when U2 were playing in Sydney.

Garrett's office began receiving calls from journalists who had taken the comments literally, and the office quickly contacted Johns's management to establish what had occurred.

Once he became aware his joke had been taken seriously, Johns issued a retraction.

"I made a stupid joke," the singer declared in a late morning statement. "It's just been brought to my attention that some people in the media have taken my dumb joke seriously so I want to set the record straight. At no time have I ever 'smoked a joint' with Bono or Peter Garrett.

"They are both well known to be very anti-drugs so that's why I assumed everybody would know I was joking when I made that comment. Clearly that wasn't the case and I feel sick that I might have caused embarrassment to two people who I admire so much.

"I was fortunate enough to once get to play them some of my demos but I swear that no joints were involved. I guess I felt a bit like a namedropper mentioning them on the radio so that's why I added a silly throwaway joke.

"I accept that drug use is no laughing matter and I apologise sincerely for any confusion or harm I've caused."

When contacted by smh.com.au Mr Garrett's spokeswoman Kate Pasterfield confirmed the alleged incident had not taken place.

Via Ms Pasterfield, Mr Garrett also clarified whether he had ever smoked marijuana in his life.

"I tried a bit of dope in my 20s but I haven't since," Mr Garret said through Ms Pasterfield.

Johns also said in his statement that issues such as this were one of the reasons he was disinclined to participate in interviews.

"I really should just shut up and stick to singing," he wrote.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom