Custom Rattle and Hum CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
I'm sure this little nifty stuff has been done before, but I recently decided to make a custom Rattle and Hum CD with nothing but studio takes. I even got it up to 12 tracks, for a full length album clocking in at 55 minutes.

What was really difficult, was once I got the 12 songs in making a good track order. After listening to the B-side version of Silver and Gold, with the suspensful opening, I decided, for me, at least, it would be a great opening. Trying to keep in the style of true U2 albums, I wanted to make the first half the more harder, and the second half lighter songs.

Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop begin with a song that starts off from nothing. So thus, I picked Silver and Gold. ZooStation is a louder song, but I still consider the first two bars as 'nothing' compared to say how Beautiful Day starts. Zoo Station picks up gradually, in the same style as Streets, Zooropa and Discotheque.

For the most part, by track 6 (sometimes 7) the harder rock songs have been passed for the album. However, there can still be an uptempo tune. Thus, I saved Angel of Harlem for later in the album. A Room At the Heartbreak Hotel has a feel of a song 'later in the album'. Hallelujah Here She Comes has a great feel for "Side 2, Track 1" if on an LP. Likewise, I think Hawkmoon 269 ends in a way great for the end of "Side 1, Track 6" on an LP.

This is what I came up with. Comments are welcome, of course.

Custom Rattle and Hum Album

1. Silver and Gold (B-side version)
2. Desire
3. When Love Comes To Town
4. Heartland
5. God Part II
6. Hawkmoon 269
7. Hallelujah Here She Comes
8. Love Rescue Me
9. A Room At the Heartbreak Hotel
10. Angel of Harlem
11. Van Dieman's Land
12. All I Want Is You

Last edited:
OMG i love doing stuff like this, i was just thinking about redoing the POP album with a few b-sdes and such, but i figured out my R&H version a long time ago. Ill admit mine was a bit different than your tracklisting, but mine contained all the same songs and i think yours is better, hehe. good work...oooo, im excited maybe ill need to start typing up my version of POP now :D

i'd also liek to add that i think R&H would have been a much more sucessful and "better" album if they had just used these studio songs. I mean, if we want to listen to Bullet or Pride from R&H, we can jsut watch the video....there were far better performances to pick from that film for the "soundtrack" anyway.

and BTW, i love R&H, movie and album

I like your tracklisting. At first, I didn't like the inclusion of "Silver and Gold" since it was a Joshua Tree-era recording, but so is "Heartland," so it probably doesn't matter much.

Too bad we don't have a studio take of "She's A Mystery To Me" (by U2, anyway). Incidentally, when was the "Stay" B-side version of "Slow Dancing" recorded?

Back
Top Bottom