Crumbs From Your Table VS. Elvis Presley And America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crumbs--no contest.

I don't get the EPAA love on this bored. It's a turd of a song--basically sounds like a bad demo.

Line up Crumbs verses EPAA with non-hardcore U2 fans and Crumbs would very easily blow away the "competition."

Numb1075 said:

Sure.......

Just the idea of reversing ASOHC and slowing it down is a different and fun idea. The fact that Bono didn't even know he was being recorded albeit sneaky, is interesting as well. Bono just improvised words and FEELINGS....that's the key w/ this song. He just let the music and thoughts overtake him and he ended up in unchartered territories vocally that he didn't even know he was capable of. I love the fact that you can't make out the words and hear different words every time - some 20+ years later. This makes the song ever changing and you can attach any emotion or mood to it that you want. It's a chamilion. You can listen to it today and hear desperation. You can listen to it tomorrow and hear hope. It's sad and rainy on Tuesday, but happy and sunny on Friday. It doesn't have the usual verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, outro that your business as usual songs have. You don't know where it's going next. You don't know if it has a purpose. BUT, the purpose is what you make of it, it's what you want it to be. 99.9% of songs are what they are, it's black and white.....EP&A is ever changing and that is it's beauty. It's beauty is apparent in it's slower parts and in it's climaxes as well. The Edge's accoustic guitar provides yet another level that many might not pick up on the first 2 or 3 listens but it adds to the overall epic feel. I think the song is light years ahead of the listener until it's beauty is fully understood. I'm not even sure if U2 realized (or realizes)what they captured, if they understood it's nuances, or it's many dimensions.

I hope that made sense, because it makes sense to me. If my speil doesn't convince you, that's ok, to each their own. But I'm happy to be alive in the timeframe that this song exists.

Thank you for putting my feelings for this song into words...I'm serious thanks a whole lot

ImOuttaControl said:
Crumbs--no contest.

I don't get the EPAA love on this bored. It's a turd of a song--basically sounds like a bad demo.

Line up Crumbs verses EPAA with non-hardcore U2 fans and Crumbs would very easily blow away the "competition."

The thread asked for our own specific opinion

sure, if you lined up non-hardcore fans, they'd probably pick Crumbs and that's ok. Crumbs is easily accessable to the ears.

bono_212 said:

Thank you for putting my feelings for this song into words...I'm serious thanks a whole lot

It wasn't easy....LOL...it became more of a stream of conscience. But I think it came across clear enough.

Numb 1075-you nailed it!!! I absolutely agree with you. I think that EPAA is quite indicative of the whole listening experience of the UF. 20 years now, and the album and this song can give you a different feeling every time. I can´t say that for their last two albums (of course, it hasn´t been 20 years yet).

Numb1075 said:

The thread asked for our own specific opinion

sure, if you lined up non-hardcore fans, they'd probably pick Crumbs and that's ok. Crumbs is easily accessable to the ears.

Remember though, the majority of people that come here are hardcore fans, and at this point, Crumbs is in the lead.

"Elvis" by a mile........"Crumbs" is one of the worst tracks they've done.

Crumbs 25
Elvis 19

Where does Crumbs go? What does it do? How does that production not just simply hurt your ears? How do you find lyrics that are just a cut-and-paste job from a dozen previous Bono interviews/speeches that we've all read before even remotely interesting? What on earth does this song make you feel? What from the music do you hear in the song?

(honest questions - this thing left me dry after the 2nd listen and I can't see the attraction other than it not being as cheesy as half of the rest of the album)

Earnie Shavers said:
Where does Crumbs go? What does it do? How does that production not just simply hurt your ears? How do you find lyrics that are just a cut-and-paste job from a dozen previous Bono interviews/speeches that we've all read before even remotely interesting? What on earth does this song make you feel? What from the music do you hear in the song?

(honest questions - this thing left me dry after the 2nd listen and I can't see the attraction other than it not being as cheesy as half of the rest of the album)

Honest questions?:huh:

They're dripping with bias. How can that be honest?

Earnie Shavers said:

It's one of my favorite U2 songs. ever. Here's why i like it:

Crumbs From Your Table: Nice intro, especially the 12 string acoustic. If you listen close, you can hear
the click track. Then BAM! Edge seems to own this tune, riffing left and right, dirty and atmospheric,
but it’s Adam & Larry who provided the push and pull that move the tune. Bono’s double track vocal
really cuts through all the guitars while providing an ominous feel, and his lyrics are the most biting
and venomous of his career. And they top it all off by jamming out the ending, firing on all cylinders.

Earnie Shavers said:

It goes where a song like Where The Streets Have No Name goes in some ways. It has a spiritual uplifting feel about it that makes one want to take on the world. The production is fantastic and Lillywhite was named producer of the year for it. In the latest Rolling Stone interview, BONO states that he actually spends much more time on the lyrics these days than he did a decade or two ago.

I really like both of these songs so this is a toughie for me, but I'll say EPAA. UF was my first U2 album and the one that really made me fall in love with the band, and especially that song. So I guess I have a sentimental attachment to it or something. :blahblah:

I'd love to chime in for EPAA here. It is a lost gem - those who say it is confused crap simply don't dig the Bongolese stream-of-consciousness beauty of it. The music is undeniably haunting and moving.

However, Crumbs is one of the better post-2000 songs and is a more cohesive songwriting effort. It's passionate. It's sung in a key that really suits Bono at this age. The guitar work is kick-ass.

Crumbs get the vote.

STING2 said:

It goes where a song like Where The Streets Have No Name goes in some ways. It has a spiritual uplifting feel about it that makes one want to take on the world. The production is fantastic and Lillywhite was named producer of the year for it. In the latest Rolling Stone interview, BONO states that he actually spends much more time on the lyrics these days than he did a decade or two ago.

But Streets has so many different meanings, and that's part of what makes it great. I know it was inspired by Bono going to Africa in 1985, but they way it is written it could mean so many different things. I remember hearing it for the first time, not knowing anything about what Bono was thinking about when he wrote it, and thinking that song could have been written just for me because it described how I felt at the time - I had been shy all my life and afraid to try new things, but now I was reaching young adulthood and starting to break out of my shell - "tear down the walls that hold me inside." Whereas "Crumbs" means one thing and one thing only. That's fine if you are writing a speech, but in a song? It might be a perfectly fine song, but I don't think you can compare it to something like "Streets," which means something different every time you hear it.

Bono may be spending more time on his lyrics these days, but I don't think the results are necessarily leading to better lyrics. I think he was much better when he was more spontaneous and had the stream of consciousness thing going on. I think that's what led to all those layered meanings in the earlier songs.

Last edited:
Bono's shades said:

But Streets has so many different meanings, and that's part of what makes it great. I know it was inspired by Bono going to Africa in 1985, but they way it is written it could mean so many different things. I remember hearing it for the first time, not knowing anything about what Bono was thinking about when he wrote it, and thinking that song could have been written just for me because it described how I felt at the time - I had been shy all my life and afraid to try new things, but now I was reaching young adulthood and starting to break out of my shell - "tear down the walls that hold me inside." Whereas "Crumbs" means one thing and one thing only. That's fine if you are writing a speech, but in a song? It might be a perfectly fine song, but I don't think you can compare it to something like "Streets," which means something different every time you hear it.

Bono may be spending more time on his lyrics these days, but I don't think the results are necessarily leading to better lyrics. I think he was much better when he was more spontaneous and had the stream of consciousness thing going on. I think that's what led to all those layered meanings in the earlier songs.

I feel you man, but I'd have to say "Crumbs" is better than EPAA. My punk-rock knee jerk reaction says to go with EPAA, but Crumbs really is a well written song. It's narrowminded and limited lyrically, but it's also one of the only songs off HTDAAB I can listen to all the way through. And they wrote it when they were shitfaced! So I guess you can say they were experimenting!

ozeeko said:

I feel you man, but I'd have to say "Crumbs" is better than EPAA. My punk-rock knee jerk reaction says to go with EPAA, but Crumbs really is a well written song. It's narrowminded and limited lyrically, but it's also one of the only songs off HTDAAB I can listen to all the way through. And they wrote it when they were shitfaced! So I guess you can say they were experimenting!

Oh, I forgot all about the writing Crumbs while drunk thing! :lol: It sounds a bit too polished for that. Maybe they just came up with a "rough draft" so to speak while liqoured up, and cleaned it up later. And I think Bono probably wrote most if not all of the lyrics later.

Back
Top Bottom