Crumbs from Your Table depreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
Listening to this song today, I was struck by the fact that it does, indeed, suck.

It's like they were trying to summon up the crappy filler vibe from the latter half of ATYCLB, except those filler songs were actually good when listened to alone.

Crumbs is also the only song in my iTunes liberry containing the word 'crumbs'.

Piece of crap.

EDIT: And that random interference/synth crap that starts panning around the song near the ending build-up - whoever decided to leave that in the mix....great job, fuckface.

Last edited:
Its everything a love about u2 but done in the wrong way. There is some shades of great lyrical brilliance but its over produced in everyway. This song would of worked better accoustic i think.

Overall its the type of pompus music u2 produce when they wanna fill a album.

This thread gets a big :down:

Not only is Crumbs a great political song, but also the second-best song on HTDAAB. I don't get the criticism.

Crumbs is the only song on BOMB that I can stand! I think it's because it doesn't sound forced. They knew they had a good-to-mediocre song on their hands and instead of subjecting it to 570 rewrites until it's "single-material", they just left it as it was written.

But you do have a point about the over-production. And the lyrics range from dumb to shockingly dumb to impressively shockingly dumb.

But these are small prices to pay for (kinda) pleasant melodies.

ate a galerinha certinha pode chegah aq e falar besteirol , imbessil to pasmo

Last edited:
:grumpy::down:

Please, we get the point. Stop bashing the songs. It's getting extremely old. We've heard it all before. I can't wait for the next album to come out. After about a week, there will be a thousand 'oh, this song sucks' and 'the lyrics are so shallow' threads.

Canadiens1160 said:

Crumbs is also the only song in my iTunes liberry containing the word 'crumbs'.

:lmao: good to know :wink: (same for me man...)

Crumbs... generic sounding U2 song. Unlike many people, I don't think most of HTDAAB is generic U2. But this song certainly is. Do I hate it? No, but I'm not crazy about it. The production hurts my ears to listen to. Two words: TOO. BRIGHT. It's so sharp it feels like someone is stabbing my ear with a pocket knife. Also, I think there's too many overdubs. The bare song has potential, as evidenced by the HTDAAB DVD, but all the extra parts seem unnecessary, especially since the whole point of U2's last two albums has been a "stripped down" approach.

Anyway, the solo in the song is too similar to Walk On's, and then the outro, which is the coolest sounding part, is too similar to Electrical Storm's. The lyrics are mixed. I actually like a lot of them, especially the line "then your face caught up with your psychology." Really, I don't have a beef with the lyrics, though the chorus is a little meh.

I think maybe the problem with Crumbs is if you look at its core, lyrically anyway, it's a pretty angry song. But on the album, it doesn't come across as angry at all. Instead, it makes me angry cuz it kind of sucks.

Re: Re: Crumbs from Your Table depreciation thread

AtomicBono said:

I think maybe the problem with Crumbs is if you look at its core, lyrically anyway, it's a pretty angry song. But on the album, it doesn't come across as angry at all. Instead, it makes me angry cuz it kind of sucks.

Precisely! If you're going to make an angry song, make it sound angry. Music should be used to shape emotions, not just provide a backdrop. You can have the angriest lyrics in the world, but put them to something that sounds like a more-upbeat Walk On, and it'll always come across as being upbeat. It's wrong that I should feel happy when I'm listening to a song about the problems in Africa. It's not the fault of the lyrics, it's the fault of the music. U2's best songs, I feel, are the ones that incorporate both the lyrics and the music to create emotion. Exit, for instance. The lyrics are dark, the music is dark. Outcome: a dark song. Imagine the lyrics of Exit sung to the music of Trip Through Your Wires - that's what Crumbs From Your Table is like!

Besides the production being kind of shit in places, I like the song. Sure it's kind of derivative of some of their other work, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to call it a bad song. It's got some pretty cool lyrics and Bono executes some of the lines really well ("you ate all your friends").

But, to stick with the spirit of the thread, the production does kind of suck, making the song hard to listen to in places. :wink:

Crumbs is the only U2 song that I really cannot stand to listen to. The lyrics aren't spectacular, but for me, they're not the main problem. I can't stand the melody. It's far too swingy, and it bothers me. Bono's voice just keeps going up and down every few seconds. I've also got to agree about the over-production.

One thing I did notice the last time I listened to it all the way through (I usually go out of my way to skip the track, but at the time, I was busy and had my hands full, so I just let it play):

You were pretty as a picture
It was all there to see
Then your face caught up with your psychology
With a mouth full of teeth
You ate all your friends
And you broke every heart thinking every heart mends

That verse reminds me of Tom Cruise :lmao: Though it was written before he flipped his lid.

In conclusion: U2 writing songs while drunk is never a good idea.

I don't see this as a "angry" political song. I see this as a heartbroken political song...I think there's a huge difference.

Is it a little too polished? Yes, but come on most of the post Pop songs are.

Some liked polish, some like raw...what are you going to do?

DreamOutLoud13 said:

You were pretty as a picture
It was all there to see
Then your face caught up with your psychology
With a mouth full of teeth
You ate all your friends
And you broke every heart thinking every heart mends

That verse reminds me of Tom Cruise :lmao: Though it was written before he flipped his lid.
Holy crap that's hilarious :laugh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't see this as a "angry" political song. I see this as a heartbroken political song...I think there's a huge difference.

Exactly! It isn't meant to be Bullet The Blue Sky.

Personally, I think the song sounds great, but I like Edge's traditional, chime-y sound. My only problem with the song is a few lyrics ("cool down mama"? "With a mouth full of teeth" - wow, what else might it have, Bono?), but some of the other lines are some of the best on the album.

I love the song personally. The vocals could be better though, and some of the lyrics are a bit weak, but other than that it's great.

though Bomb is probably my second least favourite U2 album (which basically means I still think it's very good, but not great, fantastic, wodnerful or genius) I can't say a lot of bad things about this song because it is one of my favourties on the album

It's not classic U2 but that still doesn't make it a bad song. It has a beautiful melody and lovely vocals. Now if you made a "Miracle drug sucks" thread, now that I COULD sign up to!!! :)

Agreed, it's a bitter, heart-broken song (a la Please, POE - the new generation of U2 political songs). U2 hasn't been angry in a political song since Bullet the blue sky. It doesn't really sound happy/pretty if you don't count the chorus either.

I wish they'd put out the fog horn sounds in the lead riff (thanks, Jacknife Lee) and less of the guitar effects.

Last edited:
I liked this song probably the first 5 times I heard it. And probably just for the gravelly "ya ate all your friends" line.

:down:

Ugh, I've been reminded of the Bono duet throughout it. :barf: Who's idea was that??? :mad:
Ya know, musically, if this song was lyrically about puppies, rainbows, or babies, it probably would have been cute. But instead it's got this, "I want to solve world problems by putting smiley faces everywhere. : D"

:listens to it: Oh God, it's even got cutesy bells in it. :yuck: !
:laugh:, and angel-like vocalizing in the outro. What was U2 thinking? Also, I think Larry and Adam died during this song. I can't remember hearing any bass or drums in it at all. So bland.

While we're at it:
  • AMAAW + Crumbs + One Step Closer= kiss of death. :yuck:
Without those three songs on the album I would have said HTDAAB was a great U2 album. But as it stands it's got those ugly black spots in the middle of the CD.

Just Watch this version ......

PDVD_252.jpg

:tsk:

A big :down: :down: :down: to this thread

ponham um cadeado nesta bosta

I like the song... I don't love it! But I think it's a good song. I like specially Edge's guitar on it :up: Th elyrics aren't the best I know but at least the first verses are very beautiful in my opinion.

"Crumbs" has probably been originated by the same early version of "Electrical storm". There are too much similarities between the two songs, not only in the chosen notes, but chords progressions too (in many moments of the song). Not only to talk that chimes are used too and the tempo of the songs are similar too.
That's why is one of my least favoutire songs from the album. It always has something of "déjà vu", besides that the song is overproduced, and something like the DVD version - with more proeminence of acoustic guitars - could've been made. But that's a good song, and good lyrics about political disapointment.

Back
Top Bottom