Crumbs bashing thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Crumbs - I find it to be one of the better songs on the album for me. However, I dislike how much it sounds like 'Electrical Storm' in places.

U2Kitten said:

Oh, and for those of you who say this should have been done in private, my 3 PMs have gone ignored.:down:

They were not ignored. I acknowledged this thread.I would have continued a discussion about this via PM instead of this thread, but when you make comments here that are directed towards mods, I feel something should be said in this thread.

Threads tend to not be deleted solely at the author's request. I actually had an incident last month where a member asked me to close a thread of hers, but it wasn't violating any rules, so I said no. Upon further review, I did discover a violation, which gave me reason for the thread closure.

I have reviewed this thread once again, and I still see no reason for it to be closed.

It seems you are the only one who is turning this thread into a problem. Everybody else is just discussing the song. As far as I'm concerned, this is a non-issue, and this thread still has no reason to be closed and/or deleted. I'm sorry if you're upset by this.

Hey U2 kitten, just to let you know that I like your thread, I think your opinion is interesting, not 'just negative', and I don't mean to piss you off.

But I still like Crumbs:help:

U2Kitten said:

I have seen many other threads closed at the request of the author alone. The reason you can't see what's happening here is because it all looks like happy little comments to you, but there are people who do not like me who are posting how great the song is to irritate me because they see I have asked several times that this is not for those who love the song, and that the praise of it makes me ill. The fact that people continue to gush over it even though I have asked this proves that it's being done to get my goat and piss me off. I am truly disappointed that my request has not been honored. I have seen threads closed or deleted at the request of the author for sillier things than this. Why are you leaving it open, to make me look like a fool? Because that's it's done.

Oh, and for those of you who say this should have been done in private, my 3 PMs have gone ignored.:down:

U2kitten,
I feel you. I too don't feel particularily well liked in this forum but that doesn' t stop me from posting my thoughts,
From what I can remember, you've always been a good contributer to this forum. But, you can't expect to start a crumbs bashing thread on a U2 fan site and not expect people who like the song to jump to its defense. Don't take it personaly, it's just healthy discussion. I for one love crumbs but your opinion is just as valid. Peace:hug:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

I have seen many other threads closed at the request of the author alone. The reason you can't see what's happening here is because it all looks like happy little comments to you, but there are people who do not like me who are posting how great the song is to irritate me because they see I have asked several times that this is not for those who love the song, and that the praise of it makes me ill. The fact that people continue to gush over it even though I have asked this proves that it's being done to get my goat and piss me off. I am truly disappointed that my request has not been honored. I have seen threads closed or deleted at the request of the author for sillier things than this. Why are you leaving it open, to make me look like a fool? Because that's it's done.

To be perfectly honest, I think you're being paranoid. I don't dislike you at all, I just posted my opinion on the song because that's the point of a messageboard. When threads appear either praising or insulting a song, you can't stop people with different opinions from posting. That creates stimulating discussion. A thread of only bashing would be boring. Think about it for a second: "Crumbs sucks!" "Yeah." "I know." "You're right." What a DEAD thread. You need the variance of opinion to give it some life and reason for existence.

To be honest, I don't see why there needs to be threads either specifically bashing OR praising any song. Are we that sensitive to dissent that we need to surround ourselves by people who only agree with our opinion?

I love Crumbs. It gets better for me each time I listen to it. :)

Crumbs is still the #2 song for me in hut dab. It was elevated another level when I finally got the lyrics. It may even be the best lyrically in the album. Axver is right - it's the old political U2 in a very subtle way. :up:

U2Kitten said:
Sigh, could we please have this as a thread for those who DO NOT like Crumbs? That's why I started this thread, to find some companionship on this. I've already heard all the nauseating gushing on other threads, please spare me. The song is junk.

This is why people argue with you. You insult people every time you give your opinion, and you give your opinion as fact. You need to learn how to accept differing viewpoints without taking it personally.

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this thread. Crumbs is the best song on the album. I still get chills when I listen to it! Great music, great buildup to the emotional finale. Edge's guitar is genuine and finds a way to touch the emotions that Bono tries to express with his incredible vocals. Awesome song. It amazes me how two people can hear the same song and get polar opposite reactions. The only song on this album that I can't get into is One Step Closer.

U2Kitten, you really need to learn how to take opposing opinions as just opposing opinions rather than personal insults - no one's here to insult you. Also, you've been here for a while now and should realize that just because you start a thread with a certain purpose in mind, you can't really force everyone to follow that exact purpose. And again, you shouldn't take it personally when it doesn't follow the exact purpose you wanted - it's just the nature of things. Especially when you trash a song a lot of other people obviously like.

As for Crumbs, it's a little too much on the slow side of midtempo and tends to drag a little in places, but I think the lyrics (minus a few lines) are brilliant and make the song. If they sped it up just a bit it would be even more effective.

Crumbs is excellent. Great lyrics and one of those U2 songs where I can completely understand Bono's frustration.
Oh, and definitely an heir to the throne of songs like Until the End of the World and Gone - where the whole band goes 100% into a beautiful, climactic, explosive ending. I'm waiting for a live version...

Last edited:
I know what you mean about Vertigo.

Am I the only person who finds this song cringeworthy? From the horrible 'uno dos tres catorce' to the lameness of rhyming neck with cheque to other places the lyrics don't fit the music, along with the general disjointedness of a song that tries to be 3 different songs in one, this song is a stinker that should have been left off the album. I don't understand what the appeal is. Is it that some of you see parts of it as a reference to God and you feel guilty hating it for that reason? I was going to ask for an explaination of the appeal of it, but I'd rather find out if I am alone is disliking this song. Anyone?

Oh and throw in some IPod comments, some Supremes comments, checkmate it, hours of fun!!!! Go buy an ipod!!!!

I know what you mean about Original of the Species

Am I the only person who finds this song cringeworthy? From the horrible 'smiling, crying and celebirty' line to the lameness of rhyming want with want to other places the lyrics don't fit the music, along with the general disjointedness of a song that tries to be 3 different songs in one, this song is a stinker that should have been left off the album. I don't understand what the appeal is. Is it that some of you see parts of it as a reference to Edge's daughter and you feel guilty hating it for that reason? I was going to ask for an explaination of the appeal of it, but I'd rather find out if I am alone is disliking this song. Anyone?

Throw in some comments about the repetitive verses and choruses, the tinkering intro and annoying chime piano medley throughout.

just making a point, that's all....

Thanks for participating in my experiment and proving my point. I have lost track of all the lectures telling me how I need to respect other viewpoints! While I do strongly dislike this song, I am not one to start bashing threads and only did it to see how fast my ass would be jumped on if I did. See, I have been complaining about the bashing that's been going on, but when we say anything about it all we get is 'respect other opinions.' :yawn:

So, let me get this right now. If someone bashes a song or album, and I complain about the bashing, I am not respecting their opinion. If I bash something myself and someone tells me I'm bad for bashing, I am not respecting their opinion. Which one is it? Does the double standard only go for me? Is bashing okay as long as it's done by someone else? I don't even know what good this is doing, no one is going to get it anyway and I'll only be fed the same old tired rhetoric 'you really need to respect other people's opinions' :banghead:

U2Kitten said:
Thanks for participating in my experiment and proving my point. I have lost track of all the lectures telling me how I need to respect other viewpoints! While I do strongly dislike this song, I am not one to start bashing threads and only did it to see how fast my ass would be jumped on if I did. See, I have been complaining about the bashing that's been going on, but when we say anything about it all we get is 'respect other opinions.' :yawn:

So, let me get this right now. If someone bashes a song or album, and I complain about the bashing, I am not respecting their opinion. If I bash something myself and someone tells me I'm bad for bashing, I am not respecting their opinion. Which one is it? Does the double standard only go for me? Is bashing okay as long as it's done by someone else? I don't even know what good this is doing, no one is going to get it anyway and I'll only be fed the same old tired rhetoric 'you really need to respect other people's opinions' :banghead:

It is quite simple, don't bash other opinions. If they do it to you, it is wrong. When you do it to them, it is wrong. There is no double standard, I have jumped on many people for disrespecting other opinions and presenting their opinions as fact. Why would people single you out? Why would we even care enough to do that? You are just one of many I have jumped on for this, I am a pain in the ass that way. :)

bsp77 said:

It is quite simple, don't bash other opinions. If they do it to you, it is wrong. When you do it to them, it is wrong. There is no double standard, I have jumped on many people for disrespecting other opinions and presenting their opinions as fact. Why would people single you out? Why would we even care enough to do that? You are just one of many I have jumped on for this, I am a pain in the ass that way. :)

BUT, what about when someone bashes mine? No one cares. EVERYTHING is an opinion, if I think it's annoying for the same trolls to keep bashing the same album and I say that, that's an opinion too!

U2Kitten said:

BUT, what about when someone bashes mine? No one cares. EVERYTHING is an opinion, if I think it's annoying for the same trolls to keep bashing the same album and I say that, that's an opinion too!

Did you read what I wrote? It is wrong when they bash your opinion too. I actually defended you before when someone bashed your opinion of ATYCLB.

I agree with you that it does get tiresome when people continually bash ATYCLB and even basically say that those who like it are idiots. Just don't do the same thing in return. Do not sink to their level. I am not saying that you have to like Crumbs (I think it is one of the weaker songs on the album) and you have every right to give your opinion. Just state it as your opinion though, and don't assume that anyone that likes it must feel guilty about Africa. Maybe they just like it.

I'm not going to talk about anymore, it does no good and only makes people brag on Crumbs to get to me.

U2Kitten said:
I'm not going to talk about anymore, it does no good and only makes people brag on Crumbs to get to me.

UKitten, may i ask you how old are you?

Crumbs is o.k.; nothing more nothing less.
the intro is totally electrical storm, right down to the xlophone.
the lyrics are o.k.
basically, I think the guitar solo at the mid section and ending sucks. he's capable of way better than that.

I like the verses into the chorus alot though.

U2_Guy said:

UKitten, may i ask you how old are you?

35. Before you call me childish, I quite see it the other way, that having been around so long I can generally tell true sincerity from sarcasm and snottiness. Not saying EVERY person in this thread was posting gushiness on Crumbs to get to me, but I do believe some were. If you look, the first 2 posters agreed with me. But after the mood of the thread changed and snowballed, it became a 'let's shove it in her face' thing, not one person has posted something negative about it, and I know there have to be more than 3 Crumbs haters here.

Okay, U2_guy you and rjbonovox did post negative things about it, but I know you guys hate the entire album so that's different.

Last edited:
djerdap said:
Crumbs is excellent. Great lyrics and one of those U2 songs where I can completely understand Bono's frustration.
Oh, and definitely an heir to the throne of songs like Until the End of the World and Gone - where the whole band goes 100% into a beautiful, climactic, explosive ending. I'm waiting for a live version...

Crumbs is highly overrated IMO and I would never even think of comparing this song with such masterpieces as UTEOTW and Gone. Crumbs is the weakest track on the album, along with One Step Closer and Yahweh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom