criticism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
i know over the years that U2 has received a lot of criticism and negative press, esp. with rattle and hum and pop.

can anyone think of anything off the top of their heads that critics constantly blast U2 for, music-wise? the reason i ask is that i need this for a paper i'm working on. i don't need any specific links or anything, just like "oh a lot of people hate this song because of blah blah blah" and stuff like that.

any help is much appreciated. thanks!
smile.gif

On another message board, somebody categorized U2 as being "old guys catering to 14 year olds." Eesh. But do you need just criticism from critics or general criticism?

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

well, it can really be whatever, because i'm writing an argumentative paper about their lyrics and their relevence.

i'm just looking for intelligent arguments from people, not like "they're ugly so their music is crap."

but the one you posted helped me a lot.
biggrin.gif
thanks!

The one criticism I kind of remember is from the '80s (after Rattle and Hum) and it was sorta music related.

Some critics at the time were bashing U2 as overly sincere and supporting political views in their music that were considered fairly safe (i.e. opposing Apartheid, or supporting Amnesty International). The criticism was that OF COURSE one should be against racism, or fight for equal rights, or oppose war. But why doesn't U2 comment publicly (through their songs) when it comes to some really tough and/or divisive (especially in the U.S.) issues, such as abortion or capital punishment.

I think Bono's answer was that it's true U2 tends to support causes that are unifying rather than divisive...U2 is just positive that way. Plus, he said U2 never sat down and wrote songs where they go "ok, let's write an anti-war song" or "let's write a pro-environmentalist song"...they write what they write, sometimes dedicating the song to specific people, but the songs can fit certain universal themes.

Bono's sunglasses. Journalists hate them. I have read many articles with negative and/or joking comments about them. They want to take them off, and break them.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

Originally posted by Peeing Antelope:
I want to take them off and keep them. Then I will have met the guy.

Natch.

Ha! Don't we all?! But at least you can buy the fly shades at U2.com. Those babies are cool.

------------------

I've never understood why people hate his glasses so much. He does have beautiful eyes, but if he wants to wear the glasses, it's fine with me.
smile.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Oh and some of them call Bono egotistical and pretentious too. Hey if they thought they were presumptuous and pretentious for associating themselves with Johnny Cash and Elvis and BB King during R&H, what do you think they thought of him walking onstage to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to open the Elevation shows?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

Yep, I've heard Bono referred to as a "pretentious ass" but this was said by a fan of NSYNC so go figure...lmao...

Bono's glasses rule, although I really don't like the ones he wore post-POP, pre-ATYCLB. Actually, I think they're the ones in the ST video. But they looked okay in that video. But sometimes I see him with his hair slicked back wearing those glasses. What's my point? Oh, yeah. Those are the only Bono glasses I don't care for...

------------------

Originally posted by wertsie:
Yep, I've heard Bono referred to as a "pretentious ass" but this was said by a fan of NSYNC so go figure...lmao...

Bono's glasses rule, although I really don't like the ones he wore post-POP, pre-ATYCLB. Actually, I think they're the ones in the ST video. But they looked okay in that video. But sometimes I see him with his hair slicked back wearing those glasses. What's my point? Oh, yeah. Those are the only Bono glasses I don't care for...

Wow Wertsie we agree on something! So I don't like Pop and you do and we both like ATYCLB but we both dislike his awful nerd look in between! I HATE those dork glasses he wore with the thick black frames and the jewels like some old woman's eeww! He looked nerdy in ST too. I thought he was looking so old in the late 90's. The VH-1 Legends and things like that, I thought, that's it, it's over he's lost his looks. Then, wow- his looks and his cool were back for Elevation! I saw one girl post once that the difference between the dorky glasses slick haired Bono and Elevation Bono was like the stereotypical nerd who gets a makeover on TV shows, like the girl on the Brady Bunch- unslick the hair and lose the dorky looking glasses and COOL! Add the leather jacket and we're back in business!
wink.gif

And I hate N'suck too!
biggrin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-15-2002).]

Well, here's a bit from a Joshua Tree review I found on one of the personal music sites:

"The best 80's album I've ever heard, but it still betrays the main weakness of the U2 formula: their sound - grandiose, breathy, layered, energizing, magnetic - works great when the strong songwriting is there, but when they try to dress up mediocre compositions, it ends up sounding awkward at best. Case in point: the opener, "Where The Streets Have No Name," has a full, ringing sound that millions enjoy, but when you compare it to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" or "With Or Without You" (as many do), it just can't stand up--it's more of a mantra than an actual song."

(I personally disagree with his take on WTSHNN, but in general he has a good point IMO.)

Other criticisms I've read:

- Some people think that, because Bono's lyrics are often very vague and non-specific, most of the U2 songs aren't really saying anything at all. "One" is a good example: some love it because it is open to interpretations, but others think that it's just an overblown weepie full of generic cliches.

- Some people think that because Edge doesn't play ultra-complicated guitar solos, then he must be a plodding talentless hack. Hence "God I hate that three chord band" type of remarks.

- Many dislike their 80s music because they find it too dour and humourless and that Bono has a Messiah complex. Many dislike the studied ironic posturing of their 90s music.

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
Wow Wertsie we agree on something! So I don't like Pop and you do and we both like ATYCLB but we both dislike his awful nerd look in between! I HATE those dork glasses he wore with the thick black frames and the jewels like some old woman's eeww! He looked nerdy in ST too. I thought he was looking so old in the late 90's. The VH-1 Legends and things like that, I thought, that's it, it's over he's lost his looks. Then, wow- his looks and his cool were back for Elevation! I saw one girl post once that the difference between the dorky glasses slick haired Bono and Elevation Bono was like the stereotypical nerd who gets a makeover on TV shows, like the girl on the Brady Bunch- unslick the hair and lose the dorky looking glasses and COOL! Add the leather jacket and we're back in business!
wink.gif

And I hate N'suck too!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, for some reason it wasn't as bad for me in the ST video...Maybe with the hat. But, yeah, on the VH1 legends thing he looked awful! Thank goodness that all changed with ATYCLB. When I saw the video for "Beautiful Day" I breathed a sigh of relief!

Ugh...Don't even get me STARTED on NSYNC. *gag gag gag gag gag gag gag*

I've seen this quote from Bono that he said in 2001 that reads, "We are men. They are boys. Move over. Thank you very much!" and I always took it that he was talking about Boy bands. I just wish I know where he said it and all that.

------------------

Yeah, for some reason it wasn't as bad for me in the ST video...Maybe with the hat. But, yeah, on the VH1 legends thing he looked awful! Thank goodness that all changed with ATYCLB. When I saw the video for "Beautiful Day" I breathed a sigh of relief!

Ugh...Don't even get me STARTED on NSYNC. *gag gag gag gag gag gag gag*

I've seen this quote from Bono that he said in 2001 that reads, "We are men. They are boys. Move over. Thank you very much!" and I always took it that he was talking about Boy bands. I just wish I know where he said it and all that.

I LOVE that quote about N'SUCK! I saw the video clip of that and it was cool! Yeah I do think the ST video is real dorky and the hat kind of added to the geek/old fart image IMO. But I'm with you when I saw the BD video it was a BIG sigh of relief he had given up the dork look! I got an even bigger thrill when I saw SNL and the tour. Bono is not ready to give up and become an old geezer yet. He's cool!

------------------

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

I LOVE that quote about N'SUCK! I saw the video clip of that and it was cool! Yeah I do think the ST video is real dorky and the hat kind of added to the geek/old fart image IMO. But I'm with you when I saw the BD video it was a BIG sigh of relief he had given up the dork look! I got an even bigger thrill when I saw SNL and the tour. Bono is not ready to give up and become an old geezer yet. He's cool!

Ah, so the quote WAS in reference to NSYNC then? Rock on!

------------------

Ah, so the quote WAS in reference to NSYNC then? Rock on!

Oh yes! And BSB and all those boy "bands" (who are not really bands but singers and dancers and actors!)

------------------

Oh yes! And BSB and all those boy "bands" (who are not really bands but singers and dancers and actors!)

Last summer, one of the girls I worked with would always bring in those teenybopper magazines to look at, and I read this one NSYNC article in there about how they worked really hard on their last album "finding the best songwriters." Is that the saddest thing you've ever heard?

------------------

Last summer, one of the girls I worked with would always bring in those teenybopper magazines to look at, and I read this one NSYNC article in there about how they worked really hard on their last album "finding the best songwriters." Is that the saddest thing you've ever heard?

It would be, but maybe it's sadder that a girl old enough to hold a job is interested in them LOL! I can't wait until those groups fade away like all the rest. They suck!

------------------

It would be, but maybe it's sadder that a girl old enough to hold a job is interested in them LOL! I can't wait until those groups fade away like all the rest. They suck!

Well, she was like 14. That seems to be the right age for that crap.

Dude, I've seen girls walking around campus here, in COLLEGE, with NSYNC backpacks! eek! THAT is scary!

------------------

You probably read lots of examples of Bono being attacked as being too political for selfish reasons in his Drop the debt efforts.
(and that he should stick to U2 only)

Or the part when they accused him of sucking up to US with the tour (having the flag inside his jacket), yet being very critical about the country in the past.

ps: Ooops. You said music-wise. *ahem*
Well, some critics bashed ATYCLB for being "too safe" and said that U2 was too interested into reaching the younger audiences (who apparently don't care because they don't care about rock music).
Also, as someone in a review of ATYCLB put it, "U2 should be interested in pleasing themselves musically, and not please the fans."
Or, they argued that lyrics on ATYCLB are weak, and that U2 has had its best days well behind them.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-16-2002).]

On another message board, somebody categorized U2 as being "old guys catering to 14 year olds." Eesh. But do you need just criticism from critics or general criticism?

What genius of a human being said this? Actually the older guys that are catering to 14 year olds are the record execs who shape and manipulate the boy and girl bands so that they can pad their own pockets!(btw, if any older band caters to 14 year olds, it's Aerosmith; Aerosmith was a great band, but their work during the last decade caters to 14 years olds and critically hurt their integrity; some examples of this are: playing the SB w/the likes of NSYNC and Britney, putting young actresses in their videos simply to reach a younger audience, performing duets w/rappers such as Nelly and performing at a Pop-fest/concert in 2001(Z-100 in NYC).

Yes, U2 did a video with Angelina Jolie and they received criticism for it(some of which may be justified); However, Aerosmith COMPLETELY changed their music and gave up on their old values and beliefs for the sake of staying relevant; U2 has not done this, for the most part and thank g-d they haven't. Here's hoping they never do...

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 04-16-2002).]

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
I've never understood why people hate his glasses so much. He does have beautiful eyes, but if he wants to wear the glasses, it's fine with me.
smile.gif

I'll tell you why people hate the sunglasses so much, Elevatedmole.

Because they are Pretentious, becoming and cliched for a rock star. Bono spent the 80's being serious man and he was considered the antithesis of rock stars. Now we constantly see him with the shades--there is no need to wear sunglasses indoors, IMA--and he comes off as an arrogant jerk.

This is my perception of it and I also have 2 close friends--who enjoy U2---but hate the sunglasses b/c it adds to his ego and gives off a perception that he is above people.

The glasses were fine for AB and Zoo-TV b/c he was trying to be ironic. That was 10 years ago. We got the message. Take off the damn glasses already!!!!

On Bono's sunglasses subject, he has stated, more than once, that he gets migraine from the glare, whether is natural or artificial light. Quoting from his speech in Harvard "these are not sunglasses, these are protection."

But our good friend KhanadaRhodes said music-wise, right? I think Judah and U2girl pretty much summarized the most common criticism we can find concerning they music. I would add preaching as well, they sometimes have been accused of preaching.

Originally posted by follower:
On Bono's sunglasses subject, he has stated, more than once, that he gets migraine from the glare, whether is natural or artificial light. Quoting from his speech in Harvard "these are not sunglasses, these are protection."

Well I went to several Elevation shows, and he took them off after the third song each time and left them off the rest of the show. He didn't seem to have any trouble with his eyes under all those spotlights. In most indoor pics, he isn't wearing them. I have heard that he only leaves them on for the press, and that most shadeless pics were taken by fans.

------------------

Originally posted by MBH:

However, Aerosmith COMPLETELY changed their music and gave up on their old values and beliefs for the sake of staying relevant; U2 has not done this, for the most part and thank g-d they haven't. Here's hoping they never do...

I don't see that Aerosmith has done that. They still look and sound much the same as they did when I was a teenager. But some people have and I agree, here's hoping U2 NEVER does!!!!

------------------

thanks everyone for your thoughts on the topic. i've finally finished my paper and am turning it in tomorrow. hopefully my teacher will finally start grading fairly and not give the whole class horrible grades again. but that's another story.

Dude, I've seen girls walking around campus here, in COLLEGE, with NSYNC backpacks! eek! THAT is scary!

*Shivers*
eek.gif

------------------

Back
Top Bottom