Cover versions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Cat Gav

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I know U2 have said that they are the world's worst covers band, but I think they are being a little harsh on themselves here!
They've had some crackers, such as Dancing Barefoot, everlasting love, unchained melody, helter skelter, all along the watchtowere, satellite of love, unchained melody etc etc
But for me, it has to be Night and Day! Not the remix, the original! An absolutey thriling, terrifying lament! It also has possibly the best U2 video, directed by Wim Wenders.
What do you all think??

I agree with Bono on this one..
at best their are covers ok

But I agree with you on Night and Day.. Now that's an excellent cover.. It was a little taster on how U2 would change from Joshua tree/rattle and hum to Achtung Baby

I love the guitar on Unchained Melody (the studio recording, not the live tidbits). I also like Paint it Black. Night and Day is good, but I'm not that fond of the song in general. I LOVE Bono and the Corrs versions of When The Stars Go Blue and Summer Wine better than both originals. I don't have a lot of older U2 boots, but I have this boot compilation called Jesus Was a Cool Guy and I love the version of Redemption Song that's on there.

Don't like Fortunate Son. :no:

All in all, I don't really care either way b/c after all, a cover is a cover. Comparing them to my favorite original U2 songs is pretty pointless.

Last edited:
I think that U2 renditions of those and other songs are really good. We've all heard the original versions for the most part but U2 versions have such a fresh sound to these songs. They add that U2 quality. It's almost as if they made these songs to begin with.

No-one would say U2 is a crappy covers band if they heard the live Lovetown version of All Along The Watchtower. The version on RAH, which sucks in the first place, sounds abysmal in light of the Lovetown version.

I also think Dancing Barefoot is pretty awesome.

Axver said:
No-one would say U2 is a crappy covers band if they heard the live Lovetown version of All Along The Watchtower. The version on RAH, which sucks in the first place, sounds abysmal in light of the Lovetown version.

I was going to say I didn't like All Along the Watchtower, until that transition between Desire and AATWT started playing in my head :drool:

I dislike most of the covers U2 have played, but Dancing Barefoot is amazing, All Along the Watchtower is great too (yeah, Love Town version) and Helter Skelter is ok

bono_man2002 said:
I know I didnt get to see it live, but I thought "Instant Karma" was no good

I saw Instant Karma twice this past tour and I hate to admit this.....it was a HUGE mess.

Flying FuManchu said:
What's the difference between the Lovetown version and the Rattle & Hum version considering the Rattle & Hum version was poop?

The Lovetown version rocks and doesn't sound like a complete shambles.

I guess the fact they actually rehearsed it rather helped.

Flying FuManchu said:
What's the difference between the Lovetown version and the Rattle & Hum version considering the Rattle & Hum version was poop?

The guitar and drums are more synched and they play it with a lot more feel.

It's a shit of a song to just play off the cuff like they did - it's amazing it sounded as good as it did even on R&H.

Back
Top Bottom